Roger Turner

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Roger Turner

Post by old git » 14 Feb 2020, 09:09

JohnC wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 22:50
On the away coaches there is always a raffle done and I have a decent amount collected, as Roger was a regular on the away coaches we, as regulars, have decided to buy either a shield or trophy in Roger's memory. More info as I get it. RIP Roger
[/quote]

That is nice gesture.

Regarding Saturday match officials and away club have been informed that we will be holding a minutes silence before kick for Roger and also the league have asked us to observe the same for a former Southern League director who died.

Therefore, it does seem fitting as well we have a minute of applause from 27 min to mark the 27 years he and Dave did ALL home and away league and cup matches.
[/quote]

The Southern League official who passed away last weekend is John Eastment. He became chairman of the Southern League around 1985, just as the time our club was battling to enter the Southern league from the West Midlands league.
There are not many current supporters who will know the details of that struggle to get The Grove up to standard, but as one who was heavily involved I can tell you that John was a tower of strength to the club with his support and advice, and indeed primarily instrumental is us eventually reaching the Southern League. A true friend of our great club. R.I.P.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 15 Feb 2020, 10:22

Andy, do you know when were Roger’s 1st & last matches?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 15 Feb 2020, 11:32

Chas. If you're doing a count up all I can tell you is this. I'm not sure of the first time he ever attended a game here but after not missing many games since he started going in the Vase years, in November 1992 he and Dave missed the BSC tie at Atherstone (0-0). From the next game onwards they never missed home or away in any league or any cup tie until they missed Daventry at home (5-0) a few weeks back. The last game attended was the original Maidenhead Trophy game. 27+ years! Even during the boycott like the rest of us good souls they watched over the fence.
Rough guess from me, it must be around 1400 consecutive games. Stunning.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 15 Feb 2020, 11:39

andy wrote:
15 Feb 2020, 11:32
Chas. If you're doing a count up all I can tell you is this. I'm not sure of the first time he ever attended a game here but after not missing many games since he started going in the Vase years, in November 1992 he and Dave missed the BSC tie at Atherstone (0-0). From the next game onwards they never missed home or away in any league or any cup tie until they missed Daventry at home (5-0) a few weeks back. The last game attended was the original Maidenhead Trophy game. 27+ years! Even during the boycott like the rest of us good souls they watched over the fence.
Rough guess from me, it must be around 1400 consecutive games. Stunning.
And the saddest of all those was his last. He appeared so ill that we offered to take him home, but even though he wasn’t communicating at all well a definite no was his reply 😢😢😢

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 16 Feb 2020, 23:33

The plans which were in place for Saturday regarding a minutes silence before kick off for our Roger and the league Director will be observed on Tuesday.

I am sure the minutes applause for Roger from the 27th minute will be observed by all.

There was a picture of Roger and words from our programme editor in the programme for last Saturday's abandoned game v Biggleswade. It has been decided to give a copy away free to anyone buying Tuesday's nights match programme.

Also Paul Smith's notes talk about Roger and ended Paul, players and staff would like to dedicate Saturday's incredible win at Halifax to Roger.

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 17 Feb 2020, 20:49

JohnC wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 23:33
The plans which were in place for Saturday regarding a minutes silence before kick off for our Roger and the league Director will be observed on Tuesday.

I am sure the minutes applause for Roger from the 27th minute will be observed by all.

There was a picture of Roger and words from our programme editor in the programme for last Saturday's abandoned game v Biggleswade. It has been decided to give a copy away free to anyone buying Tuesday's nights match programme.

Also Paul Smith's notes talk about Roger and ended Paul, players and staff would like to dedicate Saturday's incredible win at Halifax to Roger.
Apparently Tuesday's programme as no matches since Saturday include all comments regarding Roger. Therefore, there is no need to give Saturday's programme as well.

The Reasonable Man
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by The Reasonable Man » 06 Mar 2020, 10:38

I only heard about Roger's passing the other day. Very sad to hear of it.

I didn't know him particularly well, but there was a time when we were fairly regular companions cheering on the home team at the WMG.

No, not lost my marbles. He and Dave would be fixtures on a Sunday morning watching Olympic Star around the time they won the FA Sunday Cup - 1998 I think from memory.

Always made a point of coming over for a chat at the derby matches. He typified the right side of non-league football - we are all different sides/edges/faces of the same coin, whatever our allegiances.

Rest in peace, Roger.

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 06 Mar 2020, 11:24

Thankyou TRM for your kind words , I know Marlene and David would appreciate them and echo your sentiments.

stagsman
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by stagsman » 18 Mar 2020, 00:54

I have realised who Roger was.

I first got talking to him in 2007 when I was doing a couple of grounds on the Central Midlands League ground hop. I went to Hatfield Main and Harworth Colliery and got chatting to Roger and Dave as they had their Halesowen colours on. I assume they had done the other grounds earlier as they usually do 4 but I had already visited the other 2.

David Speedie was the manager of Harworth at the time and Dave got his autograph.

I don't get to watch Halesowen very often but usually had a few words with him. The last time was at Bradford a few weeks ago.

I also went to Maidenhead and noticed that they were not there which I thought was rather strange but know I understand why.

A trip to Wembley would be a fitting tribute to him.

RIP