Maidenhead Take 2

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Re: Maidenhead Take 2

Post by HalesowenHarry » 22 Jan 2020, 10:39

Another amazing performance last night (and a remarkably quick journey home!!!), if we can take one thing forward it is the fact that we do not look at all tired in these matches. We finished stronger again last night, just as we did against full time Burton Albion a couple of weeks ago. Only adds to the fact that we have a really strong squad and should fear no one. I'm not worried about the 20 league games plus 1 trophy match, these lads love playing! Saturday, Corby can't win the league by beating us, but one things for sure, we don't lose it if we lose. If it's the other way round it may be different ;)
210120SeasonSoFar.PNG
The Burton game finished 1-1 so thats a draw :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 22 Jan 2020, 10:47

A truly memorable performance & one of those incredibly rare games that leaves everyone lucky enough to witness it still buzzing hours later. In terms of beating higher level opposition, King's Lynn obviously comes to mind and they were riding high in the Southern Premier League in 1983 when beaten by the Yeltz 6-0. But the formation of the Alliance League in 1979 meant the Southern League was no longer just one step away from the Football League and the West Midlands League was two steps lower. I also can't think of any victory against opposition with such a 3 division status gap as last night, so I reckon the Maidenhead win should be declared the best! Don't forget this win was on Maidenhead"s patch too. At the end of the game the Magpies looked in deep shock at what had just happened.
Congratulations to all for making history & well done for the skill, the positivity and the team spirit that has been created. It's something special.
Match report to follow later.....

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 22 Jan 2020, 12:22

andy wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 10:12
I'm of the same mind John.
I think you mean lack of a mind ;D

Me too ! although I do believe that KL were top of the SL at the time we beat them.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 22 Jan 2020, 12:24

Any idea of the attendance? Or did I miss that in all the excitement?

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 22 Jan 2020, 12:26

Another consideration is the 1-0 FA Cup win at Telford in 1978. A Geoff Moss goal (calm down Doc) brought the giant killing act of that round when Telford were in The Southern League, which DJ says was one step from the Football League and they were founder members of the Alliance League for the following season.
16-Sep-78 TELFORD FAC A 1 0 CHECKETTS RANDLE PAGE BEASLEY COOPER HICKMAN JOYCE WELSH CALLOWAY MARTIN MOSS* MARSHALL SMITH N JOHNSON SMITH C.
The thought of winning would I expect have been less than last night, the 3-7 defeat in 1969 would have been more likely.
A couple of other thoughts are the Senior Cup wins in 1983/84 against Alliance sides Nuneaton (h) and Northwich Victoria (a) in the days when Senior comps were taken more seriously. I think Nuneaton, who were to finish 2nd in the Alliance, included Paul Culpin & Trevor Morley who were to go on to play in Football League and Northwich ended up in 7th.

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 22 Jan 2020, 13:47

Westy , att 275, or so they say, seemed more than that to me, but arsenal were playing chelsea up the road. Can I throw in when we beat Northwich Victoria at the Old Drill Field back in the eighties sometime. I think they were riding high in the Northern or Gola league at the time and we whopped them 2-0 on their own muck heap.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 22 Jan 2020, 14:00

KenR wrote:
22 Jan 2020, 13:47
Westy , att 275, or so they say, seemed more than that to me, but arsenal were playing chelsea up the road. Can I throw in when we beat Northwich Victoria at the Old Drill Field back in the eighties sometime. I think they were riding high in the Northern or Gola league at the time and we whopped them 2-0 on their own muck heap.
That’s the one above KenR, as with Nuneaton it was a major coup. I always thought the 83/84 season was the best even though it was the only one out of four when Wembley wasn’t reached. Northwich was on a Monday night?

OmmerUmYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by OmmerUmYeltz » 22 Jan 2020, 14:06

My Grandad, who was around for both, reckoned the FA Cup run in 1955 was an even better achievement than getting to Wembley, but I've no idea of the standard of opposition we faced, though we must have been pretty low in the pyramid then. Anybody got the stats?

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 22 Jan 2020, 14:10

excellent report of last nights match in the Windsor and Eton Express. Methinks it sums up the game perfectly.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 22 Jan 2020, 15:34

Buildbase FA Trophy Second Round Replay – Tuesday, 21st January 2020

Maidenhead United 1 Halesowen Town 3

Fearless Halesowen Town produced a stunning second-half fightback to record a famous victory in the FA Trophy 2nd Round replay at National League Maidenhead, writes DJ.

Paul Smith’s men wrote one of the greatest ever results into Halesowen’s proud history books on a remarkable evening in their eleventh FA Trophy tie of season against a team three divisions higher in the non-league pyramid.

The Yeltz kept out an early 3rd minute corner on the frosty York Road surface and then created a good chance down the awkward slope when Montel Gibson hit the side-netting from the left of the penalty area at the end of a good 7th minute move. Visiting goalkeeper Brendon Bunn was in tremendous form throughout the game and he did brilliantly to twist and reposition to one- handedly turn away Shamir Fenelon’s deflected 12th minute shot from the edge of the area.

But the Magpies took a 16th minute lead when James Akintunde crossed from the left for leading striker Danny WHITEHALL to convert into the centre of the net. Brendon Bunn was then on hand to make a good 22nd minute blocking save after Whitehall turned well in the six-yard box.

Lively James Akintunde continued to pose all sorts of danger down Maidenhead’s left flank and he weaved through Halesowen’s defence to strike a low shot at Brendon Bunn in the 27th minute. Although Simeon Cobourne earned a 30th minute corner for Halesowen, Maidenhead were at this stage seeking a second goal and Whitehall clipped the post in the 39th minute after Akintunde beat Jamie Ashmore to supply again from the left wing.

The half-time break afforded an intelligent rethink for Paul Smith’s management team and the changed formation with two substitutions worked wonders in an astonishing second half display full of enterprising and energetic football from the Yeltz.

The never-to-be-forgotten second period saw the Yeltz strike three goals as well as hitting the woodwork on three further occasions and Robbie Bunn soon demonstrated Halesowen’s intentions when his 47th minute drive clipped the top of the crossbar. Fenelon put a good chance wide for the Magpies in the 56th minute but from that point onwards the Yeltz took full control. Substitute Josh Hawker’s 59th minute edge-of-the-area free-kick bounced up to smack the post before the game was totally turned around with two Halesowen goals in two minutes.

The Yeltz deservedly drew level when home goalkeeper Fred Chapman flapped at Hawker’s deep 61st minute free-kick with little help from his defence, allowing skipper Paul McCONE to find the net with a close range header.

Hungry Halesowen then grabbed a shock lead in terrific style just two minutes later with a classic strike of pure quality. When a 63rd minute Yeltz attack was only partly cleared, the ball was met perfectly by Rob EVANS and he buried a low screaming volley from 25 yards into the far corner, leaving goalkeeper Chapman helpless.

By now the Magpies were reeling and a tremendous 30 yard free-kick from Robbie Bunn cannoned back off the crossbar in the 73rd minute. Increasingly demoralised Maidenhead tried to respond, only for Brendon Bunn to pull off a wonderful 75th minute top corner save from Ryan Upward.

With the hosts visibly retreating into their shells, Halesowen produced a third goal at the end of a delightful 84th minute build up with great passing play down the right allowing substitute Luke Yates to cross from the right byline for McKauley MANNING to head home his first ever Yeltz goal at the far post and seal the historic victory.

The magical Maidenhead mission secured a visit to FC Halifax Town in the next round and final sixteen of the competition on Saturday, February 8th.

Maidenhead United: Fred Chapman; Remy Clerima, Rene Steer, Joe Ellul (Ryan Upward 46), Shamir Fenelon (Ryheem Shackleford 79), James Comley, Danny Whitehall, Seth Twumasi, James Akintunde, Alan Massey (c), Josh Smile (Bernard Mensah 66). Subs Not Used: Aron Davis, Brandon Curtis, Reece Smith.

Halesowen Town: Brendon Bunn; Jamie Ashmore, James Bowen (Luke Yates 46), Jordan Piggott, Paul McCone (c), Rob Evans, Ahmed Ali, Robbie Bunn, Montel Gibson, Ash Sammons (Josh Hawker 46), Simeon Cobourne (McKauley Manning 79). Subs Not Used: Emlyn Tudgay, Bradley Catlow (GK).

Referee: Gary Parsons Attendance: 275
Booked: Ali (41), Ashmore (79)