Alverchurch Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Alverchurch Updates

Post by dalevillain » 01 Apr 2024, 20:10

Wasn’t the best of games today, a bit flat and had a bit of the end of season feel. I don’t think we played all that well and fortunate to win - yes we have chances before we scored but they can consider themselves unlucky with hitting the crossbar and a disallowed goal being offside.

But one thing I have noticed in the few games I’ve watched since Penn took over we are harder to beat, less open and have the ability to win ugly, which is a trait maybe we haven’t had before.

Maybe we played prettier football before under PS but didn’t get us our just rewards.

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 01 Apr 2024, 20:18

I'm trying hard not to keep going back to this because what's done is done. However... since I was restricted to only following the match on twitter I only saw the starting XI and then the subs as they happened. I honestly thought about how if it was the last guy doing it he'd be absolutely crucified on here (since it's Easter afterall) regardless of if we got a late goal or not.

But yeah, entertainment factor I'll wait til next season after Russ has been able to really put his mark on the team. It would be interesting to see if "Win Ugly" is the strategy then how the attendances will correlate. Although I've always suspected a big chunk of the fluctuations are due to how the Baggies/Blues are doing.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 01 Apr 2024, 20:28

I want us to win and I don't much care how we do it. Problem is, if we play pragmatic, percentage based, no nonsense stuff, then there's not much goodwill to fall back on if it doesn't work.

That said, Russ has only been here for seven games. None of us know what he's got planned. Let's just wait and see

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 01 Apr 2024, 21:20

fairweatherfan wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 19:27
If that's the future... hmm. Too early to draw any conclusions in fairness, but certainly not much entertainment.
Kiddy fans seemed to think we were in for a treat. Cant judge the bloke, with someone elses team, that aint cut the mustard. We certainly didnt play prettier football under PS.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 01 Apr 2024, 22:13

TractionJackson wrote:
01 Apr 2024, 18:09
Missed it today but does anyone know what the deal was with Gregory being replaced on the bench? I mean, was he doing pregame warmups or was it just an admin error.
Let's just say I will be interested to see if the rumours are true. He was plainly very unhappy on Saturday being left in the bench as we all saw. Was replaced on the bench very late on today and as I say the rest is 'to be confirmed'.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 01 Apr 2024, 22:22

Performance already summed up, and I do agree it’ll be a blank sheet of paper and wholesale changes in the summer. Expect the same style of play and set up, but perhaps with players that fit the mould a bit better.

Attendance disappointing today - Albion at home seems to make a big difference. Roll on the summer - we’re ready for it now, I think.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 02 Apr 2024, 13:26

On a more positive note, how good was it to get a 'smash and grab' win as opposed to being on the end of one for a change? Their Chairman wasn't a happy bunny(pun intended!) So suck it up buttercup that's football.
Roll on the summer. 👍

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 02 Apr 2024, 13:35

Those are my thoughts, also.
It's about winning, if that comes with a superb display of football then that's a bonus.

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 02 Apr 2024, 16:39

It's about winning if you're a football team but the entertainment factor creeps in if you're a fan. Especially of the casual variety. I doubt we have gained 700+ hardcore football people in 5 years.

As someone already said, smash and grabs are great but if you don't get that late goal everyone goes home grumbling at yet another "poor" performance.

Academic though as there's no way to predict how things will go next year.

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 02 Apr 2024, 18:39

We definitely got away with one, didn't we! Alvechurch were the better side, particularly second half, yet we managed to somehow snatch a win. A very welcome trait. It's noticeable how difficult we are to beat since Penn took over, although I'm not sure how much yesterday's win was down to good management, it was more to with good luck! ;D

With regards to the style, yes, we are more direct now, but let's not pretend it was total football under Smith, eh? Let's not forget how many games we created next to nothing as we sent long ball, after long ball, after long ball, towards Miracle, who was isolated up front with not one of his team mates within 20 yards to him. At least now we have a clear tactic and a plan.

Generally speaking, we aren't playing as well as we have been for periods of this season under PS (let's be clear, some football we've played this season, during Smith's time, was brilliant), but there is a lot more about us, and we are better organised. I get the impression Penn's management style will be better suited for this league than Smith's. It's certainly a league where direct and physical football will get rewarded.

I'm excited to see what Russ can achieve given a pre-season and a chance to bring in players that are better suited to his management style/tactics. Ultimately winning football matches that brings hope of promotion and potential cup runs is exciting. Winning 6 in 22 games is not exciting, and won't increase the attendances. Attendances would no doubt have declined had the rot under Paul been allowed to continue.