Mickleover Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Mickleover Updates

Post by KenR » 17 Mar 2024, 17:10

methinks , as usual, much ado about nothing.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 17 Mar 2024, 17:26

drummyb wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 17:07
Yes. Because the language is homophobic. You might no be gay, but the person 3ft away might be. Just no need for it in 2024.

No mention of this on Mickleover's Fakebook or website. Draw your own conclusions.
That's like saying I might be upset if a person 3ft away was referred to as being old and they are younger than me, or a derogatory remark made about being a Christian

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 17 Mar 2024, 17:39

drummyb wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 15:36
Is that when he went to the two benches I wonder?
Just to add to that, it seems to becoming a piss up for some of our lot. To the point theyd be ejected from professional games.
I wonder if it was the same people who were abusing the ref at the Alvechurch game. If so then I can confirm they were Fast Show levels of Very Very Drunk by the 2nd half (and losing on some accumulators).

It's a weird one because I think if there are some bad decisions then the ref has to expect a fair bit of stick but the line has gotta be before homophobia and calling him a paedo.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Mar 2024, 17:48

Simons wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 17:26
drummyb wrote:
Yes. Because the language is homophobic. You might no be gay, but the person 3ft away might be. Just no need for it in 2024.

No mention of this on Mickleover's Fakebook or website. Draw your own conclusions.
That's like saying I might be upset if a person 3ft away was referred to as being old and they are younger than me, or a derogatory remark made about being a Christian
It might be. Not sure of the point youre making tbh. Are you saying its ok to call someone an old so and so, or a Christian so and so? Swap homophobic with Racist. Its abuse all the same. And unneccessary. And illegal for that matter.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Mar 2024, 17:53

KenR wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 17:10
methinks , as usual, much ado about nothing.
Possibly not if the club has issued a statement. Some folks seem oblivious to dragging our name through the mud.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 17 Mar 2024, 18:40

drummyb wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 17:48
Simons wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 17:26
drummyb wrote:

It might be. Not sure of the point youre making tbh. Are you saying its ok to call someone an old so and so, or a Christian so and so? Swap homophobic with Racist. Its abuse all the same. And unneccessary. And illegal for that matter.
No I am not saying any abuse is OK, but if the official had been bald, and had been referred to as a bald b*stard would that have been reported, even if it was factual that he was bald. I can understand racist abuse as that is usually a direct reference to someone and again would be a factual instance of discrimination. I just couldn't understand how whatever was said could be construed as homophobic unless you knew the person it was aimed at was gay.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Mar 2024, 19:22

Well, any kind of abuse is wrong, bald bastard is also an offence and offensive.

I think where you're struggling is the target of the abuse. The target is part of it, but the actual words are the issue. Its irrelevant if he's gay or not. Its the fact someone is calling someone something, that is discrimimatory. Thats the crux. Anyone of those players could be gay. Is that acceptable to shout, knowing that or not?

I dont think I can explain it better than that. I suppose if you or your loved one had it shouted at them or heard it and found it offensive, then its a problem.

And Im not going all 'snowflake'. I just think as adults, we're supposed to know better.

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 17 Mar 2024, 19:35

Yes I agree, and whatever was shouted shouldn't have been, but at any match things are going to be shouted that someone is going to find offensive unless it is going to be played in silence

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 17 Mar 2024, 19:56

The insinuation is that there is something wrong with being gay. That was acceptable until about 20 years ago. It isn't now, and we're much better off for it in my opinion.

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 17 Mar 2024, 20:06

I used to play nearly every week against West Indian, Pakistani or Indian sides and we were always referred to as white bastards. We just accepted it as spoken . I really do think that too much is made out of homophobic, rascist or disparaging remarks and that they are blown up out of all proportion and could be ignored.