Royston Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Royston Updates

Post by drummyb » 24 Feb 2024, 16:50

Talking of positives, it will be far easier to park and get out the ground by March ;)

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 24 Feb 2024, 16:52

drummyb wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:44
.Things were poor when I first started coming back, but Id say this is far worse than any team I saw John Hill put out.
I mean, I wouldn't go that far. I still believe this can be turned around but there were almost entire seasons the only reasons to go to the Grove was to see Bragoli mame people and Clarkey bully the lino.

I still have hope here.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 24 Feb 2024, 16:54

fairweatherfan wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:49
drummyb wrote:
fairweatherfan wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:36

Who's happy with this?!
There were people saying we should accept where we are, and that things have been worse in the clubs history. Things were poor when I first started coming back, but Id say this is far worse than any team I saw John Hill put out.
It certainly isn't worse than Rob and Larry, and I'm not even sure that's true about John Hill.

Lots of things can be true at the same time, sadly, but you'll not find me arguing that this can't continue.
Yeah. I think neither R and L or John Hill had the personnel or backing we have now, given we were in the infancy of our resurgence. With John, you knew we were poor but they at least looked like they'd have a go and you didnt expect anything more.
Im afraid my hope is gone.

BGYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by BGYeltz » 24 Feb 2024, 17:14

I’d give Smith until the end of the season then go all out for Clarke at Redditch. There never seems to be pattern of play or style to us compared to some of the other teams you see in the league.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 24 Feb 2024, 17:21

BGYeltz wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 17:14
I’d give Smith until the end of the season then go all out for Clarke at Redditch. There never seems to be pattern of play or style to us compared to some of the other teams you see in the league.
I kind of agree. There is no sense in changing anything now, other than a potential lift from players who may not be here next year. If it changes, it needs to be from the off when players come and go anyway.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 24 Feb 2024, 17:25

TractionJackson wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:52
drummyb wrote:
.Things were poor when I first started coming back, but Id say this is far worse than any team I saw John Hill put out.
I mean, I wouldn't go that far. I still believe this can be turned around but there were almost entire seasons the only reasons to go to the Grove was to see Bragoli mame people and Clarkey bully the lino.

I still have hope here.
If you dont mind me asking, what is it you're optimistic for?? For me, I was fully behind Smith, given what he has done, that a few defeats I could accept, in the knowledge we could possibly bounce back. That few defeats has grown longer and longer, with plenty of effort but no end product. We can all see that and players have lost confidence. And I think that is solely with how they are set up. Not having a pop, just curious. I think Im fairly patient, but mines gone.

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 24 Feb 2024, 17:32

drummyb wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 17:25
TractionJackson wrote:
24 Feb 2024, 16:52
drummyb wrote:

I still have hope here.
If you dont mind me asking, what is it you're optimistic for?? For me, I was fully behind Smith, given what he has done, that a few defeats I could accept, in the knowledge we could possibly bounce back. That few defeats has grown longer and longer, with plenty of effort but no end product. We can all see that and players have lost confidence. And I think that is solely with how they are set up. Not having a pop, just curious. I think Im fairly patient, but mines gone.
Simply that the run of defeats will end. What once was can be again. Finish outside of relegation (hopefully relatively comfortably) and go again next year with a refreshed squad.

I'm buoyed slightly by the fact I didn't lose faith last season when a LOT of other people did and hey, we got promoted. I still have a fair chunk of goodwill from that but yeah, it's being spent a bit.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 24 Feb 2024, 17:32

Think this thread may go to a few pages......
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 24 Feb 2024, 18:15

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 24th February 2024

Halesowen Town 0 Royston Town 3

Halesowen’s slump in form continued with a three-goal defeat by mid-table Royston on a dismal day at the Grove, writes DJ.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith first thoughts were on a nasty injury to Josh Ezewele. “It looks like a dislocated shoulder. Anything that can go wrong is going wrong, we’re not playing well, not taking chances and giving awful goals away. It’s becoming all too common. It’s not normal for us, for my five years here this is our worst spell, it’s not nice. It hurts everyone but we have to find a way out of it. We’re low in confidence but it’s important we dig in and find a way.”

Halesowen earned four early right-wing corners but failed to trouble Royston goalkeeper Louis Chadwick in a scrappy opening. A 20th minute Yeltz left wing corner was cleared and another 34th minute corner came to nothing as the Crows remained solid at the back in a first-half lacking quality.

Royston took a 26th minute lead in simple fashion when Halesowen lost the ball in midfield allowing Kian Harness to cross from the left and Samson Esan helped on for recent signing Andronicos GEORGIOU to sweep home his first Royston goal from 12 yards out.

Matters worsened for the Yeltz when central defender Tom Taylor was dismissed with a straight red card for bringing down Royston captain Adam Murray just inside the penalty box after 36 minutes and GEORGIOU fired the resulting 38th minute penalty past Platt to double Royston’s lead. Georgiou then fired a loose ball over Halesowen’s bar in first-half injury time in search of his hat-trick.

At the start of the second period Royston’s captain Murray headed home but was ruled out for offside. For ten-man Halesowen a low 51st minute shot from Miracle Okafor was saved by Louis Chadwick and Chadwick save Jack Holmes’ effort two minutes later.

The Crows made it a convincing 3-0 in the 54th minute after Georgiou was denied his hat-trick following a jinking run and although Ryan Wynter cleared off the line HARNESS reacted quickly to force home from close range. Georgiou came close again when he curled just past the post after 72 minutes.

Ten-man Halesowen huffed and puffed but there was absolutely no way back into the game although in the final minutes Chadwick made a good save from Kieren Donnelly and Okafor back-heeled just wide at the end of a woeful day for the Yeltz.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Josh Ezewele (Rhys Hilton 76), Luke Redfern, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Thomas Taylor, Jack Holmes, Nathan Hayward (Jak Hickman 55), Miracle Okafor, Caine Elliott (Reece Michell 41), Kieren Donnelly. Subs Not Used: Richard Gregory, Ryan Boothe.

Royston Town: Louis Chadwick; Oluwakoyejo Dawodu, Charlie Johnson (Alfie Williams 55), Joshua Coldicott-Stevens, Adam Murray (c), Ronnie Henry, Samson Esan (Fabio Virciglio 67), James Brighton, Kian Harness, Andronicos Georgiou (MacKye Townsend-West 83), Sam Mvemba. Subs Not Used: Damaray Anyadike, Edward Asafu-Adjaye.

Referee: Michael Wright Attendance: 929
Booked: Donnelly (58), Brighton (78), Murray (88)
Sent Off: Taylor (36)
Non-League Paper Man of the Match: Andronicos Georgiou (Royston)

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 24 Feb 2024, 18:44

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair."

A Tale of Two Cities.
Charles Dickens.