Kettering Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Kettering Updates

Post by andy » 16 Dec 2023, 17:53

I too am baffled by Ezewele not playing. Hickman couldn't lace his boots. And why is he taking corners in the opposite corner of the field, leaving us exposed after yet another poor delivery. After the subs came on there was only one team who was going to win it today, made such a difference. Yet somehow we didn't. Blew it. Football eh?
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 16 Dec 2023, 18:20

Southern League Premier Central – Saturday, 16th December 2023

Halesowen Town 1 Kettering Town 2

Kettering snatched all three points after delivering an injury time sucker punch to deny Halesowen, writes DJ.

Yeltz manager Paul Smith reflected on the home defeat. “I’m bitterly disappointed. Again we haven’t taken our chances and have given awful goals away. We have to do better as we’re switching off in both boxes at the moment. We were the better side, but due to mistakes we’ve lost. This group can be very good on their day, but can be inconsistent and cause our own problems. There’s lots to work on.”

It was a first half of few clear chances, although the Yeltz created a good early 2nd minute opportunity after Kieren Donnelly beat goalkeeper Joshua Blunkell on the right of the area and squared the ball for Caine Elliott to screw wide. Elliott then found McKauley Manning to strike wide from the left and Halesowen forced two corners in quick succession in the 18th minute before Kettering’s own 24th minute corner was cleared.

As the half progressed and the Yeltz searched for a breakthrough, Manning’s 31st minute corner was scrambled clear and Manning shot just wide in the 33rd minute from 25 yards. Just before the interval Jak Hickman’s cross was met with a glancing header from Donnelly but the ball was cleared away for another corner. Todd Parker then fired inches wide of Kettering’s post in the 43rd minute.

The Poppies took the lead just 20 seconds into the second half when Tyrone LEWTHWAITE picked up a cross and beat goalkeeper Dan Platt from the middle of the penalty area. Platt made a terrific save to deny Lewthwaite again in the 52nd minute after the home defence was exposed.

The Yeltz made a triple substitution in an attempt to recover and improved as the game progressed with Donnelly surging forward to go close in the 62nd minute.

Kettering missed another golden chance to increase the lead in the 70th minute after Lewthwaite ran clear and rounded goalkeeper Platt but could only fire into the side-netting. Kevin Langmead was denied from the resulting corner by a great block in front of goal.

The Poppies soon paid the price as the Yeltz equalised in the 73rd minute following good work from substitute Isaac Adegoke who then set up substitute Richard GREGORY to pick his spot and place a superb 20 yard shot past Blunkell.

Kettering’s manager was sent off after 82 minutes and the Yeltz finished the game strongly as substitute Jack Holmes struck wide and Todd Parker’s 87th minute effort was turned away for the first of two corners. As the game entered stoppage time, another corner was eased away from Adegoke and Manning planted a low shot wide.

Halesowen hearts were broken in the 7th minute of added time when the ball was given away in Kettering’s half and substitute Sam Bennett broke away, only for Platt to make a great save with his foot. But Kettering delivered their sucker punch as BENNETT smashed the winner home from the resulting corner.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt (c); Jak Hickman, Reece Mitchell, Todd Parker, Ryan Wynter, Luke Redfern, Kieren Donnelly, Nathan Hayward (Jack Holmes 54), Miracle Okafor (Richard Gregory 54), Caine Elliott (Isaac Adegoke 54), McKauley Manning. Subs Not Used: Josh Ezewele, Simeon Cobourne.

Kettering Town: Joshua Blunkell; Ben Toseland, Kelvin Langmead, Harry Reilly, Gary Stohrer (c), Tyrone Lewthwaite, Rhys Sharpe, Neo Dobson (Sam Bennett 66), Huw Dawson, Luca Miller, Thomas Scott (Gedeon Okita 82). Subs Not Used: Daniel Jarvis, Lewis White, Phoenix Scholtz.

Referee: Dale Wootton Attendance: 1,051
Booked: Stohrer (62), Scott (76), Hickman (76), Langmead (90)
Tulleys Print HTFC Man of the Match selected by the Vice Presidents: Isaac Adegoke

Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Scribbler » 16 Dec 2023, 19:10

Three points lost today to an average side… becoming a regular statistic!!!… No beating about the bush, the squad is not big enough or good enough, if you want to win promotion, at least three quality players need to be brought in, in my opinion…. Again the starting eleven left me baffled, with better players being left on the bench…. At least the changes were made a bit earlier, this week, and what a change they all made to the team….. but this is not an isolated occurrence!!! It’s the same every game… so why don’t these better players, imo, get a start ? As they do affect the game when they are introduced… and agree with previous post about Ezwelle, who should start every game, on last seasons performances…. Need a couple of strikers who can score goals and a commanding centre back, with a voice on the pitch to organise and manage the defence…. This needs to happen soon… players have left and not been replaced, preferably with better players, not kids or no hopers … we should be on the up… but we seem to be sliding backwards at the moment…. Yes this will cost money, but other clubs of less stature can manage to do it……

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 16 Dec 2023, 19:42

Frustrating today we could of been 2 0 up early doors but again never took our chances and they got back in the game and scored with a sucker punch goal at the restart. We made 3 changes and looked far better going forward great strike from Greg's to equalize but again we concede at the death. A lot of youngsters in that kettering team today marshalled well by kelvin langmead 38 years old. Mirackle offered us very little won't jump for a header and to isolated. why hickman, elliot and redfearn start I can't understand we have had better young players play and depart us long ago. Ezewele I'm surprised the bloke is still here best defender we have I would of been gone ages ago in his position will walk in any side in our league. Rant over

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 16 Dec 2023, 20:02

Dazzie76 wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 19:42
Ezewele I'm surprised the bloke is still here best defender we have I would of been gone ages ago in his position will walk in any side in our league.
Agree with the sentiment but let's not forget Wynter. Class.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 16 Dec 2023, 20:08

I think Wynter was contender for MOTM. Speaks volumes a second half sub got it. Thought he looked useful and put him self about as well so he is one positive we have signed. Still think forwards and defenders are needed.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 16 Dec 2023, 20:17

Scribbler wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 19:10
Need a couple of strikers who can score goals and a commanding centre back, with a voice on the pitch to organise and manage the defence…
We've already got three strikers who can score goals. And we've got Rob Evans to come into the team when he's fit.

You talk like we're in crisis. We're probably about where we ought to be in this league.

Dazzie76
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dazzie76 » 16 Dec 2023, 20:18

Yeah wynter my man of match today too if only we can get another experienced head alongside him. Strange old league this not many teams have impressed me but experience counts when getting results.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 16 Dec 2023, 22:03

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
16 Dec 2023, 20:17

You talk like we're in crisis. We're probably about where we ought to be in this league.
Have to agree with this. I guess the concern is that had we not had the fantastic start we had we would not be in this position. The results have tailed off quite badly and our go to striker currently looks a shadow of his former self. The positive is though we have not become a bad side, so a bit of tinkering and a dose of confidence may be all it needs to halt the slide.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 16 Dec 2023, 22:32

I think it needs to be tinkered with quite soon though. Another 4/5 games with similar yields will cause us problems. Thankfully the team CAN put a decent shift in, when its right. I hear what people say about us having 3 strikers, however 2 of that 3 havent had any real game time this season, and one of that 3, can't do a full 90 minutes. Lets see how a change affects us.