Kettering Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Kettering Updates

Post by 410viawednesbury » 17 Dec 2023, 17:49

Just an observation from a home game back a few games ago, I think it was against Nuneaton. Paul Smith selected Miracle up top and just behind him he started with Richard Gregory in a 10 role. I felt this was a great move from the manager despite losing as the partnership in my opinion, seemed to work. Gregory held the ball up really well despite the buffering from centre halves and was always looking to link up with Miracle and others around him. I went away from that game with two things on my mind, one was I thought we'd found the partnership to turn things around and the second being despite the loss our efforts warranted at least a draw.
Since that night I haven't seen that combination played since and despite not being a manager myself perhaps Paul Smith may reconsider this partnership going forward.
This isn't a criticism of the manager in any way just merely an observation that perhaps could help kick-start our season.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Dec 2023, 17:59

Yeltzbaby wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 15:26
Maybe we dont have the money? The extra money? You like me will not have a scooby do regarding the clubs budget, the budget compared to others, our overall finances compared to others, who gets paid what by who. Maybe we cant or dont want to increase the budget - who knows, but just throwing it out there that maybe just maybe we cant afford to atm.

I hear almost endless discussion about clubs budgets, budgets compared to others, how come so and so can afford to pay this that and the other on crowds of one man and his dog. At the end of the day i have never ever met anyone who can tie all these things together from club to club, budget to budget, play wage to player wage as fact - and I recon I never will.
Fair point. The problem is bigger crowds lead people to think we are moneybags. We will be compared to other clubs, but it isnt a bottomless pit. Given Karen's crowdfunding attempts fell well short to buy the club, its possible we are also paying a loan off.

That said we will also be able to attract better playera.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 17 Dec 2023, 18:00

The best step 3 players will be on contract. Bringing in 'quality' at this stage of the season isn't like Football Manager.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 17 Dec 2023, 18:05

Ok, yesterday we weren't great. Kettering were certainly not better though. We were still very unlucky to get nothing from the game. I have still not seen a side that looks much better than us and we have to face it we are now in a league where pretty much any side can beat any other. We have no divine right to be winning every game or to scoop up all the best players around. It's plain to all we are not at our best but we are not THAT far away. I do sometimes fear that expectation far outweighs reality and that if we got promoted again we'd be expected to win that league as well. And then the next. We've all made good valid points on here as to where we feel the various problems lie regarding our current form, but I'd still far rather be watching this than us being dragged down to the levels of some of the dirge we've faced in the last few seasons.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Dec 2023, 18:29

I think no-one looks better than us when we click, definitely. Im quite happy that we can play. Its the sequence of results at the moment that worries me most and the possibility that continues without changes being made. I'll be happy with mid table for the first year back.
I dont buy all this National League nonsense yet.

TractionJackson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by TractionJackson » 17 Dec 2023, 18:45

Ah I'm sure the National League song is somewhat tongue in cheek but I could be wrong. There were times in the Shed yesterday where I was thinking at least half of us didn't know it was 1-1 (at the time).

Bigger crowds of course means more money coming in which is good but doesn't automatically mean deeper pockets. I reckon some of the other teams out there are basically money laundering operations (more fun than Vape Shops I guess)

The crowds also mean loads of teams come to our place treating it like a cup final which make losing and watching their celebrations super irritating.

And yeah, Hickman's crosses/corners are a major problem. Especially when even if they were accurate I really don't think Miracle has a header in him and the rest of the team are under 6ft (exaggerating, kinda)

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 17 Dec 2023, 20:12

I see what people mean about his crossing now. Which is a shame because I like his drive forwards. I'd go with one in 5/6 that achieves anything like it should be.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 17 Dec 2023, 20:59

There seems to be a belief that 'a 20 goal a season striker' can just be picked up from out of thin air.
From the Premiership down, EVERY club is looking for one!
It's so easy - there's plenty out there, all available and all begging to play for HTFC.
It isn't just about money - it's about the rarity of the beast - there ain't many out there!
There is too high an expectation among a section of our fan base at the moment and this needs to be reined back and be replaced by realism.
We're doing as well as I hoped before a ball was kicked, way back in August.
It's a big step up into the level we're now at. Let's not get above ourselves - just yet!

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 17 Dec 2023, 21:01

My thoughts/observations.

We've scored one goal all season from a corner. We've conceded three goals in the last two games from corners. Every week I seem to look at the opposition and think "These are a big side". They're not always, they're just bigger than us. We've got Jack, Mini, Hicky, Sim, Parker, Mitchell, Elliott - all good players with different skills and attributes they bring to the squad, but being a good headerers of the ball isn't one of them. Only Wynter I would consider as being dominant in the air. I could throw Evo in there too but he's only played 45 minutes in the BSC. We will always be vulnerable to conceding goals from set pieces if the opposition are clever enough to put balls into areas where Wynter isn't. Especially now Kieron Morris isn't around. I like Redfern, he's a very composed player, but he looks the type who would be better in a back 3, rather than a back 4.

Up top, Greg's gives us some physical presence up the top, he's a clever player whose movement is excellent, we desperately need to find a formation that allows him to take some of the work off Miracle. Miracle's strength isn't playing back to goal and holding it up, he's better on the half turn, with balls into spaces down the side or behind. He would improve massively learning off Gregs and watching his decision making, Gregs would talk him through a game too and help him with his decision making.

If the results we have had, had been spread across the season so far, we would all be happy with where we're at. Unfortunately the good start has raised expectations. Hopefully Long Eaton will see us pick up a win on our travels.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 17 Dec 2023, 22:42

Having taken 19 points from the first 9 games, we have only taken 12 from the last 12 games, surely an under achievement whichever way you look at it.