Kettering

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Scribbler
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Kettering

Post by Scribbler » 20 Aug 2023, 07:44

A game that should have been won… two more points dropped…. Some might say, great start to the season unbeaten in four…a draw is a good result if you’ve been under the cosh,been outplayed and got lucky at the end of the day !!! That was a good result for Kettering today….. apart from the penalty, did they produce a chance in the first half ?
These are games that need to be won, clear and simple…. Team selection left me a bit bewildered, as I’ve watched two individuals for a few games now, who in my opinion are just not up to the mark, yet they started the game again, with better players left on the bench…… always start the game with your strongest team , we don’t, then we make the changes too late…..
We seemed to be all over the place, formation wise, with hawker drifting out to the left wing on many occasions in the first half ? With two wingers on the bench ?
Bottom line, two points lost, in a game that was easily winnable, loosing touch with top of the table…. Looked a far better team after we made changes…. Need to be winning games from the off, not chasing them !! Un beaten and drawing easily winnable games is not a recipe for success……
As for them being a lovely crowd, you obviously were stood nowhere near us…. Second half … a group of mouthy gobshites…loud and obnoxious…. Would have been nice to get a late winner, just to silence them …..
Hopefully on to a big win next weekend….

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 20 Aug 2023, 09:17

I wasn’t sure how the formation would work on paper, and I’m generally not a fan of making changes for the sake of it, but I thought it all worked well yesterday?

Each to their own, however, I don’t know who in this squad isn’t up to the mark, based on what I’ve seen? The “big” signings have all been superb, and then the unknown quantities like Boothe, Elliott et al have all been good in my eyes.

Definitely should have won, but would find it hard to pick faults in what was mostly very encouraging.

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 20 Aug 2023, 09:30

Scribbler wrote:
20 Aug 2023, 07:44
A game that should have been won… two more points dropped…. Some might say, great start to the season unbeaten in four…a draw is a good result if you’ve been under the cosh,been outplayed and got lucky at the end of the day !!! That was a good result for Kettering today….. apart from the penalty, did they produce a chance in the first half ?
These are games that need to be won, clear and simple…. Team selection left me a bit bewildered, as I’ve watched two individuals for a few games now, who in my opinion are just not up to the mark, yet they started the game again, with better players left on the bench…… always start the game with your strongest team , we don’t, then we make the changes too late…..
We seemed to be all over the place, formation wise, with hawker drifting out to the left wing on many occasions in the first half ? With two wingers on the bench ?
Bottom line, two points lost, in a game that was easily winnable, loosing touch with top of the table…. Looked a far better team after we made changes…. Need to be winning games from the off, not chasing them !! Un beaten and drawing easily winnable games is not a recipe for success……
As for them being a lovely crowd, you obviously were stood nowhere near us…. Second half … a group of mouthy gobshites…loud and obnoxious…. Would have been nice to get a late winner, just to silence them …..
I understand the need to set a high standard but Jesus your a hard one to please. I think its more than reasonable to say that the table and results dont settle down for at least 10 matches, on balance I think the vast majority of fans would be pleased with our 'start' at this new higher level and I am confident we can gradually start to kick on from here. I still predict and think we should be aiming for playoffs, which I am sure everyone at the club is too.

Keep up the good start lads - well done so far

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 20 Aug 2023, 10:38

In fairness.....to the loud,obnoxious response, you really oughta listen to some of ours at times. All clubs have them. Overall a decent fan base.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 20 Aug 2023, 17:33

Scribbler wrote:
I think we all accept that we should have won yesterday's game. It was just 2 mistakes really. As regards the 'strongest team' we have to remember some players are coming back from injury or suspension and will not be 90 minutes match fit. I'm sure once the right balance is found we'll do well. Not that we've done badly so far! As for losing touch with the top, I'll just be more than happy for the clubs at the bottom to lose touch with us!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 20 Aug 2023, 19:21

It never ceases to amaze me at the expectations that some fans have.
To suggest that we are "losing touch with the teams at the top" after only four games into a season at a higher level seems somewhat negative.
If we can finish in the top half I, and many others I would dare to presume, would consider the season to be a success.
Of course I would be delighted if we exceeded that, but in all truthfulness I look forward to a season without the pressure of too high an expectation.

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 20 Aug 2023, 22:00

Scribbler wrote:
Team selection left me a bit bewildered, as I’ve watched two individuals for a few games now, who in my opinion are just not up to the mark
Who are the unfortunate two? Have the courage of your convictions and tell us who they are.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 20 Aug 2023, 22:38

Bit early for that malarkey I suspect. Even the Silver Squirrel has only developed an irrational dislike for about 5 of them.

On a much more important point, does anyone else get a sort of “Meaning of Liff” / “Uxbridge English Dictionary” vibe from our hosts?

I think it’s a present participle, or possibly the gerund, of a verb referring to a low level grumble about the loss of past glories.

“What’s up with Dave, he seems off?”
“Don’t worry, he’s just kettering”.

Redtildead
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Redtildead » 21 Aug 2023, 16:57

Interested to read YeltzDoc comments above on the word Kettering and its "actual meaning " , however I am not certain if you were aware or not but I think you will find that Kettering already gets a mention in The Meaning of Liff which consequently could lead to a scenario along the lines of .

Dave ( same Dave as above ) walking along Halesowen High Street and sees YeltzDoc walking towards him in a very ungainly pained way and grimacing
"All right YeltzDoc" says Dave
Yes alright Dave "says YeltzDoc
I hope you don't mind me asking , but why are you walking in such a ungainly pained way and grimacing YeltzDoc " says Dave
Got ******* Kettering Dave " says YeltzDoc
"Oh dear thats not good YeltzDoc " says Dave
I know see you Dave " says YeltzDoc
"See you YeltzDoc "says Dave

!!!

Well played on Sat but you should have won , we were there for the taking
Good support by the way .

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 21 Aug 2023, 18:50

So it is!

https://www.panmacmillan.com/authors/do ... 0positions.

Warning heeded.

Brilliant.