Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Sutton

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 11 Apr 2023, 13:53

drummyb wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 13:17
Josh1873 wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 10:29
We can't finish third in a two horse race, again. Can we?

All the positivity and hope that the previous three performances delivered has well and truly evaporated after such a poor, tepid and disappointing display. Why do we get out fought so regular? Why don't the players work as hard, or harder, than the opposition? It's simply not good enough. It's as if they don't want to earn promotion. The three teams that will join us in the play-offs must be licking their lips at the thought of facing us.
I think, ultimately, we simply aren't good enough, same as we weren't last year. I really hope, im proved wrong, but I think its going to end in disappointment again. Its all about consistency and while we turn in some good performances, they let themselves down as players, with what we got Saturday, and sadly its not a one off. They are good players no doubt but thats nothing without work too.
Good but inconsistent. That's the main reason they're playing at this level isnt it? That said, they're better and more consistent than every other team in the league bar Stamford.

Yesterday was bad but I didn't see anybody not trying. Even so, we could have put the game to bed in the first 20 minutes. Taking Evans off was a strange move and completely opened us up. So, it was an off day for the manager too.

We're still likely to come second and, apart from Chasetown, there's no-one in much form anywhere. A trip to The Grove with a crowd of 2,500+ won't have anyone 'licking their lips'.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 11 Apr 2023, 14:13

Yeah good but inconsistant is a fair summary. In regards to work rate, I think some individual battles were conceded. The gaffers mentioned the "just turn up to win" phrase and its not the first time we've heard it. Actually, I think playing against us at our place works in their favour sometimes. Silence the crowd, stop us playing and they've won one battle.
Again, it depends which Halesowen team turns up.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 11 Apr 2023, 16:30

Well if nothing else it proved that going to 3 at the back is a disaster not to be tried again hopefully

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 11 Apr 2023, 17:01

Likewise three up top with mini and Jack. Compare that to the last couple of weeks with Insall and Cobourne or Cobourne and Gregs. Im cometely lost as to what our best shape is now!!

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 11 Apr 2023, 19:13

Evans seemed to holding the top of his leg so I think he was swapped to protect it

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 11 Apr 2023, 19:19

Noticed the play off match is on the main site for 25/4 does anyone know date of final? Presume 29th??.
Hopefully not as away.
Maybe the Bank Holiday Monday May 1??

Brightgoldenhaze
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Brightgoldenhaze » 11 Apr 2023, 19:40

Rich wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 19:19
Noticed the play off match is on the main site for 25/4 does anyone know date of final? Presume 29th??.
Hopefully not as away.
Maybe the Bank Holiday Monday May 1??
Step 4 finals on 29th. Step 3 final on 1st May.

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 12 Apr 2023, 14:13

Brightgoldenhaze wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 13:53
drummyb wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 13:17
Josh1873 wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 10:29
We can't finish third in a two horse race, again. Can we?

All the positivity and hope that the previous three performances delivered has well and truly evaporated after such a poor, tepid and disappointing display. Why do we get out fought so regular? Why don't the players work as hard, or harder, than the opposition? It's simply not good enough. It's as if they don't want to earn promotion. The three teams that will join us in the play-offs must be licking their lips at the thought of facing us.
I think, ultimately, we simply aren't good enough, same as we weren't last year. I really hope, im proved wrong, but I think its going to end in disappointment again. Its all about consistency and while we turn in some good performances, they let themselves down as players, with what we got Saturday, and sadly its not a one off. They are good players no doubt but thats nothing without work too.
A trip to The Grove with a crowd of 2,500+ won't have anyone 'licking their lips'.
Boldmere certainly will not fear us based on our two 'performances' against them this season. Corby have our number. Arguably Chasetown, too. The only side I'd feel 'comfortable' facing would be Khalsa, and even then I wouldn't be too confident, given our record against half decent teams over the last 3 years or so.

If we get the Yeltz that roll their sleeves up, and work hard for each other, we have nothing and no-one to fear. But if we get the Yeltz team that we've seen far too often this year, the team who down tools and let the opposition out fight and out work them, then we will only have 3 more games this season.

We have the ability, no doubt. Do we have the bottle and fight? I'm not convinced.

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 12 Apr 2023, 21:17

I prefer to be glass 3/4's full than 3/4's empty.

The same players have achieved at the minute 2nd place 76 pts Won 24 draw 4 lost 8, goals for 80 goals against 40.

IF and it is a BIG IF Greg's penalty (none missed until Monday) and the other chances had gone in we could have been 2-3 up and I think the game would have been different. Before Evans was subbed he was gingerly running back from a corner we had with an obvious injury.

The next two games will be about keeping the squad match fit ready for the all important semi final playoff. Who ever we play it will be a tough fixture although I respect every team I don't fear any.

The 12th man need to be the 12th man for the whole 90 or 120 minutes. Be loud and be proud. Sing songs that get the players putting the head up the extra mm, the chest out an extra mm the foot our an extra mm. No matter what happens get behind the players putting on the shirts and play for our team.

Just out of interest
Stamford Won 26 Draw 5 lost 4, goals for 72 against 29. Stamford did not beat Gresley who we did twice and didn't beat Sutton Coldfield lost at home drew at Sutton,

Arsenal Won 23 draw 3 lost 3, goals for 72 against 29.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 13 Apr 2023, 10:35

Arsenal aint in our league. Ha!! ;D
Although you do make a fair point about glass 3/4 full or empty.

I guess its also all about that how you view the play offs. In the olden days of things we'd be promoted I guess. I hate them. Too much of a lottery.

I dont doubt the fans will get behind the lads, as they always have. Now its the lads turn to play like we know they can.