Shepshed Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Shepshed Updates

Post by Josh1873 » 19 Mar 2023, 13:36

It's the same old story, isn't it? I was seething watching yesterday, and I still am. Recent performances have been unacceptable. I'm sure the management and players know that, too. But why are we performing so poorly? There's no clear game plan as far as I can tell. I really struggled to work out the formation throughout. It was so un-organised. A variation of 4-3-3 in the first half then some sort of 3-5-2 in the second, maybe.

I understand that we may be viewed as the opposition’s cup final. It’s a valid point. However, we have now been at this level for three or four seasons (depending on how you count the COVID interrupted years), so we should have figured out how to overcome this. It should not be an excuse. Why are we seemingly struggling to out-fight, out-battle and out-work opposition? This isn’t a one off, we are outfought the majority of weeks by opposition players who just want the points that bit more. These are the very basics of football.

I can also understand that the pressures of winning a league and performing in front of a large crowd can have a negative impact on performance levels, but each player in this squad knew what they were signing up for. It shouldn’t be a shock to them. The opposition seem to manage every week! I’m not sure how much more support the players need. We regularly have home crowds of over 1,000 and a very healthy away following, that consistently vocally back the team week in, week out. Between the excellent support and the chance to win a league title, how much more motivation do you need? Why aren't we playing as if we want to win the league? It's as if the players expect to win just by turning up!

If you accept the above is affecting players performances, it shouldn’t stop players being organised, working harder than the opposition, and communicating with each other. One thing that really stood out yesterday was how quiet we were on the pitch and in the dugout. I stand behind the goals and I could hear their coaching staff shouting tactics and encouragement, all game. Nothing from our duo. The same on the pitch, you could hear Shepshed players communicating with each other. We played in radio silence. There's no togetherness or leadership at all. Shoulders are slumped and players are bickering at each other. The dressing room appears to be very fractured, and it’s showing on the pitch. We aren’t playing as a team and players aren’t playing for each other.

I’m really not sure where we go from here in the short term. It’s a mess. With the current squad, management and form we are not going to win the play-offs. Something has to change, and quick, but change has been needed, at least in terms of our play/attitude/desire, all season. I doubt we’re going to see the needed change in the remaining 7 games (including the one play-off game). I’m really struggling to think back to games where we actually looked like a team capable of winning promotion. Khalsa away and Spalding at home. That’s it? This season has been a real grind to watch.

Long term, a massive clear out and reset is needed, and should happen when the last ball is kicked in our final game. Regardless of when that is, and the outcome of that final match.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 19 Mar 2023, 13:39

Simons wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 13:09
The pressure doesn't seem to be affecting the other teams at the top. Current top 5 teams on current form
Stamford p6 pts 16
Corby p6 pts 16
Coleshill p6 pts 13
Boldmere p6 pts 13
Spalding p6 pts 11

Halesowen p6 pts 7
And not one of those clubs has the expectation level of Halesowen. Apart from perhaps the Spading owner/chairman!
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 19 Mar 2023, 14:04

I thought early in the season that when we were riding high we’d need to sustain it because there are a few players in the ranks who use their social media to make rods for their own backs that could potentially bite both them and us in the backside, I was concerned that a rocky patch may bruise said egos and create a bit of toxicity.

I seem to observe a team now that’s playing in a way they don’t buy into, without communication from the bench or between then on the pitch and with what I perceive as a divide in the squad between a couple of cliques and some players who are more or less outcast as they don’t fall into either of them.

We may not be professional, but non league clubs get themselves up by doing everything professionals would do both on and off the pitch, this season has been littered with childish antics that are now causing us huge issues and I’m not sure the management team is strong enough to control it with at least one player who seems to think he runs the club, whilst in reality he’s as thick as two short planks and embarrasses both himself and the club on a regular basis.

I’m worried that the owners hard work to drag this club into what it is today is being chucked down the drain by a lack of discipline and I’m at the point where I think Karen, Keith & Colin need to get hold of things and take back control. Big changes need to be made to nip this in the bud, if it were me I’d be tempted to start tomorrow morning - we can’t get any worse.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 19 Mar 2023, 14:43

VanessaYeltz wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 14:04
Big changes need to be made to nip this in the bud, if it were me I’d be tempted to start tomorrow morning - we can’t get any worse.
It would be massively inconvenient and disruptive to make big changes at this stage of the season, but hey, what have we got to lose? We're going nowhere as it stands and it may give us a head start going into next season.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 19 Mar 2023, 14:49

andy wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 14:43
VanessaYeltz wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 14:04
Big changes need to be made to nip this in the bud, if it were me I’d be tempted to start tomorrow morning - we can’t get any worse.
It would be massively inconvenient and disruptive to make big changes at this stage of the season, but hey, what have we got to lose? We're going nowhere as it stands and it may give us a head start going into next season.
That’s the roll of the dice, can’t see it happening anyhow, but to get up we’re going to have to beat two teams from around us in consecutive games to get up. Something we are ridiculously bad at with no tailwind at all.

Who knows.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 19 Mar 2023, 14:59

Too early to change anything imho. We are still in with a shout, albeit a very weak one. A couple of performances and its a lift. I think you judge a season at the end and it would be different if we were in danger of relegation.
Not fair on anyone coming in now with the start of an implosion.

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 19 Mar 2023, 15:13

Does anyone know Haaland's agent s number?
Just a thought🤔😬

VanessaYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by VanessaYeltz » 19 Mar 2023, 15:28

410viawednesbury wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 15:13
Just a thought🤔😬
I’d settle for not smashing the ball over peoples heads tbh

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 19 Mar 2023, 15:28

410viawednesbury wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 15:13
Just a thought🤔😬
Well it's give the lad something to play for.😂
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 19 Mar 2023, 16:58

RobYeltz wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 13:39
Simons wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 13:09
The pressure doesn't seem to be affecting the other teams at the top. Current top 5 teams on current form
Stamford p6 pts 16
Corby p6 pts 16
Coleshill p6 pts 13
Boldmere p6 pts 13
Spalding p6 pts 11

Halesowen p6 pts 7
And not one of those clubs has the expectation level of Halesowen. Apart from perhaps the Spading owner/chairman!
Expectations can cause some pressure, but that's where good teams and management thrive and I really don't think that is the cause of a slump.

Also, making out that opposing teams will always raise their game because we have much bigger support etc. doesn't really hold water and is almost excusing the team and management performing poorly.

Given a level playing field between opponents and abilities, our big support and fan base should not be disadvantageous.