Daventry Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Daventry Updates

Post by andy » 25 Feb 2023, 17:30

Can't believe too many of their players left, they were too organised. But poor. Put them to the sword and were it not for MOM keeper it would have been double what it was. Probably a good game to have after Corby, confidence booster, good goals and all round performance. Need to repeat it next week now at Hinckley, after they've hopefully beaten Stamford on tuesday!
Well done lads.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

ArgusAda
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by ArgusAda » 25 Feb 2023, 17:56

Andy, we were bored before the game so compared their squad last week against this. Only one player the same !! Scratch squad I’d say.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 25 Feb 2023, 18:13

ArgusAda wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 17:56
Andy, we were bored before the game so compared their squad last week against this. Only one player the same !! Scratch squad I’d say.
Blimey. In that case they weren't too bad then! Or maybe they were, but you know what I mean.
I should do match reports.....😂 ::)

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 25 Feb 2023, 18:23

Yes - sounds as though they’re in a terrible mess off the pitch and actively looking to get relegated. I gather their goalkeeper, who kept about 4 or 5 goals out at point-blank range, might be their GK coach. He certainly played for them against us in the past.

Otherwise a very young and inexperienced side but they did well in the circumstances and managed to keep the scoreline respectable.

Hope it gives us something to build off for next week - I’m a bit concerned it was a damp squib today and that might have an effect. We will see. Regardless, it was a relief to see Morris back.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 25 Feb 2023, 18:25

Northern Premier League Midlands – Saturday, 25th February 2023

Halesowen Town 4 Daventry Town 0

Two goals each for strikers Jamie Insall and Richard Gregory kept Halesowen perched on top of the table, writes DJ.

The Yeltz bounced back from last week’s defeat at Corby and joint-manager Martin Sockett noted “there were good phases in the game, it’s a clean sheet and we could’ve scored more. Daventry’s problems this week have been well documented but they fought well and their goalkeeper made four top-drawer saves.” The midweek resignation of manager Arron Parkinson plus the departure of several players meant reserve team manager Andy Emery took charge of depleted Daventry.

The league leaders went straight onto the offensive and made a perfect start when Kieren Donnelly played the ball through for INSALL to tuck the ball past goalkeeper Iustin Cerga in the 4th minute. In-form Cerga rushed out smartly to thwart Greg Mills after seven minutes and Mills flashed another effort wide two minutes later before Cerga collected a 14th minute low shot from Robbie Bunn.

INSALL soon struck his second goal when he latched onto a long ball from defence and he beat off Peter Bawa’s challenge to work free and slot home after 16 minutes.

For relegation-haunted Daventry, George Ball sent over a good 26th minute cross but the ball was easily grabbed by home goalkeeper Dan Platt and Ball fired another effort over the bar five minutes later. As the Yeltz went in search of further goals to increase their goal-difference, another low shot from Bunn was saved by Cerga and a 35th minute block by Cerga prevented Insall claiming his hat-trick. Mills struck a 39th minute free-kick straight at Daventry goalkeeper Cerga and then crossed for Insall to be denied again in front of goal a minute later by Cerga’s brilliant save with Donnelly only stopped by a combination of the post and a fine double save from Cerga from the rebound.

Previously third-choice goalkeeper Cerga continued to be in fine form in the Daventry goal during the second period. He made a stunning 48th minute save to hold onto Bunn’s low shot and then made yet another splendid double save to keep out Donnelly and Insall in front of goal after Mills made a good 51st minute run and cross from the left. With further Yeltz goals proving somewhat elusive to secure, Nat Kelly headed over the Daventry bar in the 55th minute and Donnelly’s header was cleared off the line by Callum Calver a minute later.

But home substitute Richard Gregory soon reflected the balance of play by hitting two goals within seven minutes of being sent into the action. Bunn’s 63rd minute cross was volleyed home into the corner of the net from close range at the back post by GREGORY for his 40th goal in a Yeltz shirt. Fellow substitute Simeon Cobourne then crossed along goal from the right for GREGORY to convert an open goal and make it 4-0 just five minutes later.

The remainder of the game continued to be played mostly in the Daventry half and Mills fired over the bar after 71 minutes. An 85th minute cross from Mills was cut out by Cerga with Gregory ready to pounce for his hat-trick and Cerga made yet another fabulous 89th minute double save to keep out Gregory and Bunn. Bunn then also fired just past the post in added time.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Josh Ezewele, Josh Quaynor, Jac Redhead, Chris Cox, Nat Kelly (Kieran Morris 72), Kieran Donnelly (Simeon Cobourne 61), Nathan Hayward, Jamie Insall (Richard Gregory 61), Robbie Bunn, Greg Mills. Subs Not Used: Ash Sammons, Rob Evans.

Daventry Town: Iustin Cerga; Jordan Orosz, Callum Calver, Peter Bawa, Mikun Adeniji, Bayley Leslie, Ollie Emery, Jonathan Joseph, James Lovell (Ben Morgan 80), George Ball, Dylan McGinley (Tanae Simon 62). Subs Not Used: Sam Davies, Robbie Meadows, Igor Rosiewicz

Referee: Callum Parke Attendance: 1,016
Booked: None
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Tulleys Print: Nathan Hayward
Non-League Paper Star Man: Josh Quaynor

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 25 Feb 2023, 19:42

piearce9 wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 18:23

Hope it gives us something to build off for next week - I’m a bit concerned it was a damp squib today and that might have an effect. We will see. Regardless, it was a relief to see Morris back.

Do you think it was? I'm not really sure what else would have given us a boost. I'm a little less convinced admittedly since Ada pointed out it was a completely new team, but they set up quite well and were it not for the magnificent keeper it could have been 8 or 9. With you on the Morris part, great to see him back. I know it can be easy to despatch a poor team but at least we did. We do need to put in another decent performance next week though to get anything as our away performances are far from home ones.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 25 Feb 2023, 19:58

Yeah I thought the atmosphere was a little bit flat today and I also feel as though the circumstances allowed some players to play well within their comfort zone.

We are getting back to full strength again though and in hindsight it was quite a wise choice to bring Gregs and Sim on late today and to also give players like Mills and Redhead the game time.

Hinckley have got a tough game midweek vs Stamford so I’m hoping they put all their effort into that one and, exhausted after a successful midweek, they fall apart against us. :)

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 26 Feb 2023, 08:33

Utterly surreal game. Felt a bit like when England play Liechtenstein or someone of that ilk: the win is assured, and the only question is how many you win by.

What's causing me more anxiety is that Stamford keep winning. While common sense suggests they aren't likely to finish the season with 96 points, common sense feels like it can get in the bin.

As I said after the Spalding game, I expect them to fall away and that certainly looks probably given their remaining away games. It's going to be bloody Corby in the play offs, isn't it?

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 26 Feb 2023, 09:23

fairweatherfan wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 08:33
Utterly surreal game. Felt a bit like when England play Liechtenstein or someone of that ilk: the win is assured, and the only question is how many you win by.

What's causing me more anxiety is that Stamford keep winning.
Agree Dont think we played at our best but certainly well enough for comfortable win. Great 'keeping' kept it respectable. Thought Haywood had a great game and Redhead put in a shift.
Stamford I think are now main concern and they have Margetts who keeps scoring.
Lets hope we can keep confidence high with 3 points next week then back to the Grove for another big game

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 26 Feb 2023, 11:20

fairweatherfan wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 08:33

What's causing me more anxiety is that Stamford keep winning. While common sense suggests they aren't likely to finish the season with 96 points, common sense feels like it can get in the bin.

As I said after the Spalding game, I expect them to fall away and that certainly looks probably given their remaining away games. It's going to be bloody Corby in the play offs, isn't it?
The only plus for us is that we have Stamford at home. Might be irrelevant by then but who knows. We havent really given them credit for our home form, which has kept bringing results. It is a concern that Stamford keep winning, but ultimately the best team will win the league. If it isnt us, so be it.

Really dont want play offs again though. I cant see it being Corby tbh. I think Boldmere and Khalsa wont balls it up. I cant see Spalding dropping away by that much, but if they do, Harborough and Coleshill are still in with a shout.