Boldmere - MATCH OFF

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Boldmere - MATCH OFF

Post by Rich » 21 Jan 2023, 16:38

Footballfan wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 14:12

Other people that say let's leave it till 1.30 also have to realise what goes on behind the scenes to get ready everything ready to host games. And to postponing a game early in the morning rather them last minute is so much better for the club in every way. I can only think of the complaints they would get on social media etc from doing that
I know Grimsby had a pich inspection about 11am and the ref decided to wait to do another at 1pm.
Match was called off in the end but the thoughts of the fans were favourable to wait and hold second inspection.
Think bigger clubs suffer with stands blocking the sun getting to parts of the pitch but I think at the Grove around mid-day the sun would get to all the pitch??
I am sure the right decision was made and I will look forward to an warmer evening game to enjoy now as Im sure would have been really cold for us all to watch today. Just delaying inspection would have given truer reflection on the state of the pitch

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 21 Jan 2023, 17:11

Footballfan wrote:
I love the 'i went in my garden and it was soft' comments..let's face it you want the game on for your own personal reasons and not what's best for the players. Where does the club stand if players get injured from landing on a pitch that's as hard as the car park they have parked in.
Down the centre of the pitch where grass is at its lowest coverage you will find it harder than the wings. So just because you garden may feel soft doesn't mean every piece of lawn/grass in the country is. The winter low sun and Stands can also effect the actual sun from getting on the pitch. And if you actually look at the amount of games called off it clearly shows the right decision was made.
Other people that say let's leave it till 1.30 also have to realise what goes on behind the scenes to get ready everything ready to host games. And to postponing a game early in the morning rather them last minute is so much better for the club in every way. I can only think of the complaints they would get on social media etc from doing that

Just my thoughts
Yes, my comments were affected by my disappointment at the game being called off so late in the day.
I apologise to any of the volunteers and club officials who feel my remarks were aimed at them personally.
They obviously wanted the game to go ahead as much as I did.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 21 Jan 2023, 17:33

Dont they usually open the Yeltz Bar at 12.00
Cancellation and the gates can be opened. Saying match was on would mean giving readmission tickets etc incase was called off later.
Not saying there is anything wrong with this process (if correct) but would make it logistically much easier on the club to manage and give an explanation for the inspection time.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 21 Jan 2023, 17:41

Footballfan wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 15:46
Well like I said. My initial message i never made a comparison to grass/3g. I just said people who say my grass is fine really need to think before posting stuff like that. Refs have a duty of care and how would they feel if someone did get an injury from playing on unsafe pitch that they allowed to go-ahead.
If town players have had serious head injuries caused by playing on properly maintained 4g surfaces then I take it back . I just know with shock pads and rubber crumb infil they are certainly not "hard" like a frozen pitch can be.
Yeah I just think we've got crossed wires here. I understand what your post was saying and you are right, safety comes first. I just took an opportunity to throw in a long standing gripe I, and others on here, have with plastic pitches. We all generally seem to hate them and they have certainly not done us any favours.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Footballfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Footballfan » 21 Jan 2023, 17:43

Rich wrote:
21 Jan 2023, 16:38
Footballfan wrote:

I know Grimsby had a pich inspection about 11am and the ref decided to wait to do another at 1pm.
Match was called off in the end but the thoughts of the fans were favourable to wait and hold second inspection.
Think bigger clubs suffer with stands blocking the sun getting to parts of the pitch but I think at the Grove around mid-day the sun would get to all the pitch??
I am sure the right decision was made and I will look forward to an warmer evening game to enjoy now as Im sure would have been really cold for us all to watch today. Just delaying inspection would have given truer reflection on the state of the pitch
I think it's a given home fans will always want the decision to be delayed to the last possible minute. I get it but doesn't make it right because the fans want that to happen. I'm sure it makes life easier for the club for a decision to be made early rather then losing it at half one. Food? Media? Kitman setting up kit from both teams? Groundsman setting up pitch? Stewards?
Yes bigger stadiums will obviously suffer more from shade. We had a minus 5 last night so the pitch would of been solid at 11. That and the mist preventing sun getting through really wasn't looking good for any thawing of the pitch. Also another minis five tonight and currently at minus one, so the right decision was made

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 21 Jan 2023, 19:21

Before I explode from what I see on social media.

Some points.
A local match official in discussion via mobile phone with the actual match official make the final decision.
They do consider the time to kick off and weather forecast.

The inspection involved the use of studs and a key. The pitch was frozen in the area open to the sun when the mist/haze had cleared.
The sun does not always get to the Stourbr*dge Road end due to the terracing houses and pub. Covers put on did not stop the frost.

If you wait for the match officials to arrive the away team even Boldmere would be here. You then have to pay said match officials and traveling costs of away team if the game is called off without any revenue.

As well as all the other jobs volunteers do they would have to give vouchers to all those who have paid to get in. Can't do refunds as we won't know who had paid what, who had given season tickets etc.

Some people moan it was too late, others say it was too early.
As Boldmere is local it was a balance of being fair to all parties whilst trying to get a game.

There is no one more frustrated than the volunteers who had already got lots of things ready for today yesterday and then this morning. No one knew how bad the fiost or warm up would be.

Several volunteers this morning tried to work on the worst areas of the pitch but to no avail.

A couple of insights.
A few seasons back an inspection was carried out by the same referee as today at 730 a.m. as we were do to play Whitby. He called it on and it was.

Last season on a Friday we put covers and even the mini bus (don't ask) on the Stourbr*dge Road goalmouth due to weather forecast. On the Saturday we turned up weather hadn't read the forecast and not frozen or frost at all.

All I can say is we tried our best.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 21 Jan 2023, 19:51

Disappointed we didn't play, but imagine having an all weather pitch and having your game called off almost 5 hours before kick off because your pipes are frozen in the changing room. For the second time this season.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 21 Jan 2023, 19:56

Thanks for that insight John.
Fully understand you are stuck between a rock and a hard place on days like today.
If the pitch was still too hard at 3pm then right decision made despite the sun being out at the time.

Not the nicest conditions for spectators either. Guess we all selfish and want our 'football fix' on a Saturday.
Next home game ... wonder who we playing ??? ???

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 21 Jan 2023, 21:34

I just find it staggering that after a period of very cold days, people make ill informed comments on social media. What do they actually expect?? Im fairly sure the club would have liked a bumper pay day but weather can stop play. Another indication of the "me first" society.
10 years ago no-one would have batted an eyelid.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 21 Jan 2023, 23:27

Goodness.
It’s usually much less Twitter-like on here.
Enough now, I don’t think there’s any new insight to add.