Gresley Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Gresley Updates

Post by drummyb » 23 Aug 2022, 22:50

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 22:19
I liked the ground. Proper nom-league, and the very reason I love following non-league.

I'd much rather visit a quirky and unique venue like Gresley than a hellhole plastic pitch like Harborough or Romulus.
Theyre very identikit plastic pitches imho. More set up for community use and money making.
That said. I really wasnt keen on Gresley. Far too compacted and a pitch that was laid by a man with a lazy eye and a pissed spirit level. Im not a huge fan of one end being someones garden wall either. Each to their own though and I admire any club that runs on limited means.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Aug 2022, 23:21

drummyb wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 22:46
AwayDayYeltz wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 21:05
Jack Holmes off. Brad Birch on. 62 mins.
Just to add, I thought BB did well too. Drove us forward and had a little bit more bite and nuance. The big lads were outmuscling Jack a bit and he was becoming a bit of a passenger, so good sub to liven us up again.
Appreciate that. As I said Birch on wasn't the issue. I just thought someone else could've made way. It's just personal preference, tbh.

Ultimately we won, so the right decision was made.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 24 Aug 2022, 10:32

A hard fought win, they're yet another big strong, well organised side that we've managed to overcome. With the pitch dipping in the middle it kind of feels like you're kicking uphill in both halves. I love the Gresley ground in that it feels a bit like you're stepping back into the early 80's they certainly make the most of the space available to them and they give a friendly welcome. It looks like they have a fruit shoot squad too who they marshalled well. Give me a Gresley any day over a soulless shit hole like Coleshill.

As for the game, it was never going to be a feast of free flowing football on a poor surface and constantly kicking uphill, but we tried to play and we defended the long throw reasonably well. It seems that every team we have played at the moment has had a Tom Tonks type player who can launch a very dangerous bullet like long throw and law of averages teams will score eventually from them. Kieran Morris I thought last night was outstanding he caused problems for them from set pieces and could on another day scored more than the one he did, and at the other end he headed everything. Jack again was excellent, and his goal was an outstanding strike, anyone wishing to win goal of the season will have to better this. As mentioned above, it was the right decision to bring on Birch to give an extra bit of physicality at that time.

3 from 3 in the league, we haven't yet I don't believe seen the best of this group, but we've ground out wins in games that perhaps last season we might not have found a way to win them. I do think we'll give someone an absolutely pasting soon, hopefully on Saturday!
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 24 Aug 2022, 10:35

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
23 Aug 2022, 22:19
I liked the ground. Proper nom-league, and the very reason I love following non-league.

I'd much rather visit a quirky and unique venue like Gresley than a hellhole plastic pitch like Harborough or Romulus.
I'd take Gresley's sloping GRASS pitch in a tight little ground that hasn't changed in forever any day. It always feels like a proper football match there.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 24 Aug 2022, 10:37

....and don't forget drummyb one corner of our ground is somebody's garden wall. Owens to be precise.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 24 Aug 2022, 10:51

Ha ha. No thats a fair point ;D

Each to their own. Just wasnt keen. It felt too squashed in and foreboding for me. Like someone had a big garden and decided to squeeze a football club in. Only three sides really but unlike them up the road you cant stand on the one side. I like space!!

Wholly agree on soulless plastic pitches though.

Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Poll » 24 Aug 2022, 12:41

I remember standing behind the goal next to the big wall back in the day. You were VERY close to the action