Belper Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Belper Updates

Post by Rich » 28 Aug 2021, 19:47

old git wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 19:36
Ref was shocking IMHO … bad enough he missed the penalty where the defender pulled it back with BOTH hands ….but that one he gave …….. speechless >:(
Apart from that though he was consistent in that he gave crap decisions both ways!!!

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 28 Aug 2021, 20:45

I agree that the ref wasn’t great, we were sloppy particularly at the back, and it wasn’t our slickest performance by a long stretch.

But we did the job and keep moving forward. Not really a day for picking holes or any real cause for concern. If anything, it shows we know how to grind out a result.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Aug 2021, 22:19

piearce9 wrote:
28 Aug 2021, 20:45
I agree that the ref wasn’t great, we were sloppy particularly at the back, and it wasn’t our slickest performance by a long stretch.

But we did the job and keep moving forward. Not really a day for picking holes or any real cause for concern. If anything, it shows we know how to grind out a result.
Very true. We may have to get used to teams playing that way against us. Some will stifle us, those that aren't good enough we will blow away.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 28 Aug 2021, 23:46

Northern Premier League Midlands – Saturday, 28th August 2021

Halesowen Town 2 Belper Town 1

Halesowen maintained their 100% record at the top of the table with a goal in each half enough to triumph against battling Belper, writes DJ.

Manager Paul Smith admitted “it was a tough battle against a big, strong opposition. We controlled large parts of play and stayed patient until Jamie Molyneux took his goal well and when Belper scored we then managed the game out.”

Kyle Finn’s 2nd minute shot was deflected away and Jac Redhead fired high over the bar from 30 yards in the 7th minute. As Halesowen moved the ball around smartly in early play Redhead played a brilliant 9th minute ball for Rob Evans to fire just over the bar on the overlap down the right at the far post. But Belper gave warning signs as Jonathon Margetts broke away in the 11th minute and Calum Flanagan did well a minute later to head away under his crossbar from Belper’s well-worked free-kick.

The Yeltz continued to control the ball and Chris Lait hit wide after Jack Holmes made a 13th minute run down the right. Jamie Molyneux then forced a 20th minute corner and Lait was eventually stopped for a corner at the end of a great run down the left three minutes later.

Halesowen’s patience finally paid off as they unlocked the Belper defence in the 31st minute when Kyle Finn set MOLYNEUX free and he took the ball forward, holding off two defenders before firing into the top corner to beat goalkeeper Myles Wright.

Belper missed a great chance to equalise after 37 minutes when Flanagan’s header fell short and Alex Peterson nipped in, but goalkeeper Dan Platt raced off his line to block with Peterson looking favourite to score. Platt saved the day again with another fine blocking save just after the interval with Margetts through on goal as Belper started the second half brightly.

Lait tested the visiting defence again by going close with a couple of half chances before the Yeltz doubled their lead with a fine team goal in the 60th minute. Molyneux won possession and the ball was played on in turn to Holmes, then Lait and finally for REDHEAD to finish confidently as the Yeltz worked the ball across to the left of the penalty area.

With Halesowen 2-0 ahead, the game entered a more disjointed phase but hard-working Belper never gave up and pulled a goal back when MARGETTS smashed home an 83rd minute penalty after substitute Toby Scott was penalised for a challenge on Margetts. The visitors tried to find another opportunity but Halesowen saw out the game by keeping the ball in the opposition half in the dying moments.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Rob Evans, Brett Lloyd, Josh Hawker, Paul McCone (c), Calum Flanagan, Jack Holmes (Joe Palmer 78), Jac Redhead (Toby Scott 65), Jamie Molyneux (Harry White 71), Kyle Finn, Chris Lait. Subs Not Used: Lewis Wright, Josh Mussell.

Belper Town: Myles Wright; Josh Woodcock, Craig Nelthorpe, Reice Bertram (Nathan Curtis 61), Danny South (c), Tom Wilson, Sam Wright, Corey Gregory (Todd Jordan 53), Alex Peterson, Jonathon Margetts, Brodie Litchfield (Damian Reeves 86). Subs Not Used: Ben Rhodes, Cameron Hawkes.

Referee: Ryan Williams Attendance: 732
Booked: Redhead (38), Nelthorpe (62), Flanagan (75), Curtis (84), Wright (88), Jordan (90)
‘Tulleys Print’ HTFC Man of the Match selected by Harrison Garratt: Josh Hawker

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 28 Aug 2021, 23:51

I've watched the penalty award 101 times on YTV highlights and still can't see the foul ???

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 29 Aug 2021, 08:29

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 29 Aug 2021, 10:11

I want to echo my post match comments from Tuesday's win at Bedworth - that was a more impressive win than the drubbing we handed Shepshed.

We all know we can play teams off the park, and win by 5 or more goals, but there's something so satisfying and impressive about grinding out a win in a scrappy game, where we're far from our best.

Without sounding like I'm being critical of last seasons squad, I doubt very much we'd have got six points from our previous two games last season, but this squad just feels so much better and balanced.

Belper were a big physical side, and we more than held our own, and battled for a good win. It's pleasing to see we can get dirty and scrap, while managing the game, as well as play excellent football.

If you analyse the actual game, it would be easy to be critical of how we played at times, it was far from perfect, but for me, wins like yesterday are impressive, and vital if we want to win the league.

Maybe I'm over egging it, but I'm just buzzing with the start we've made. I'm just loving watching us right now. Long may it continue.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 29 Aug 2021, 10:22

You make good points ADY and I don’t really disagree with much. However, don’t be in too much of a rush to criticise the team from last year. Yes, they had a bad week; the collapse at Corby, the FA Cup defeat at Cambridge and another defeat at Corby in the FA Trophy. There are two redeeming factors: that is the only bad patch of Paul’s time at the club and there was no reason to believe he couldn’t turn it around. The other is that that team didn’t have a chance to turn it round due to the season being truncated.

To wrap up, I would much rather watch this lot have a bad day (and still win, let’s not forget) than the dross we had been used to for too many years past. Maybe it it is mark of the high standards set over the past too (partial) seasons that we are judging by after yesterday’s match.

Onwards…..

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 29 Aug 2021, 11:01

Also we had a tough match at Bedworth on the artificial pitch and Belper had no midweek game

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Aug 2021, 12:46

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 10:11
I want to echo my post match comments from Tuesday's win at Bedworth - that was a more impressive win than the drubbing we handed Shepshed.

We all know we can play teams off the park, and win by 5 or more goals, but there's something so satisfying and impressive about grinding out a win in a scrappy game, where we're far from our best.

Without sounding like I'm being critical of last seasons squad, I doubt very much we'd have got six points from our previous two games last season, but this squad just feels so much better and balanced.

Belper were a big physical side, and we more than held our own, and battled for a good win. It's pleasing to see we can get dirty and scrap, while managing the game, as well as play excellent football.

If you analyse the actual game, it would be easy to be critical of how we played at times, it was far from perfect, but for me, wins like yesterday are impressive, and vital if we want to win the league.

Maybe I'm over egging it, but I'm just buzzing with the start we've made. I'm just loving watching us right now. Long may it continue.
Perfect, spot on post.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0