Newcastle Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Newcastle Updates

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 12 Sep 2020, 20:10

I don't understand the 'Paul Smith got the wrong line up' line. That line up should have been enough to see off Newcastle, if we're honest.

Is it our best line up? No. But is it enough to Beat Newcastle, yes.

Ultimately today came down to player attitude. The majority of players didn't want it, and hid away from the ball. But for Jack Holmes, we'd be out the FA Cup.

The lack of motivation for the FA Cup, is worrying. The players need to understand the amount of financial effort Karen and Keith have put in. The FA Cup is essential to rewarding those guys.

Frankly, the players need to step it up big time, that was not good enough.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Simons
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Simons » 12 Sep 2020, 20:23

Only £1444 for winning today. Maybe the loss last week had a part to play in the motivation. Hopefully now today's match is out of the way, things can settle down again

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 12 Sep 2020, 21:44

piearce9 wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 20:00
They’re Step 4. Same league as Sutton Coldfield, whichever one that is. I don’t think Step 3 have entered the competition yet.
Yes, they are at the same level as us, but today was slightly worrying as Newcastle were near the bottom of their division last season before abandonment, although I know non-league teams can fluctuate quite quickly.

Because of the maths and the numbers, a random draw meant that some Step 3 teams had to play in this round: e.g both Leiston and Royston who recorded big wins and Matlock Town who won at OJM Black Country (new name for Black Country Rangers after a merger).

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 12 Sep 2020, 21:52

Yeah I think they were probably better than a struggling Step 4 team. They played well first half and caused us problems.

Interesting about the random Step 3 teams, I hadn’t appreciated that. Nor did I know it was straight to penalties after 90 mins today!

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 12 Sep 2020, 22:07

DJ will post a real report but I’ll drop in some disjointed jottings.

Bloody SatNav, firstly a suite of offices that definitely looked like a football ground, hopefully without security cameras as my bladder had waved the white flag by then, followed by a cricket pitch and some egg chasers.
But eventually, a 5 min walk from some creative and entirely-legal-officer parking on the street.

Knee-jerk demands a snooty comment about cycling tracks but it worked much better than running / dog tracks (Sittingbourne, old Corby, old Wembley, old, old, Kiddy etc).
The raised aspect from behind the goals was nice and the side view was fine. The little slope in front of us provided a highlight as the winner lead to Crooky Jrs’ mate’s titfer tumbling down it.
Discussion with the oddly prevalent security guards allowed him to retrieve it, but his, erm, manly figure, necessitated said guards’ inelegant manhandling of him up and over on the return trip. Chortle.

Decent surface it seemed and an odd “cup” team selection. Started well, but mistake-ridden. Two dropped bollocks from Ali and McCone were ducked but ultimately Catlow’s howling knacker descent cost us (and I suspect, ultimately, him).

They pressed hard and high and we seemed off it. 3 at the back didn’t work, we changed to a 4 and it looked better for a bit, but they continued to squeeze and frustrate us.
The Burton Boy came after Molly limped off, immediately looked comfortable on the ball and probed. Lots of clever-clever and innumerable attempts to nutmeg their left back. A sign of things to come...

General misery at half time, concrete slumpage by us lot and late-Hillesque grumpery.

The gaffer, “resplendent” in some mid-80s style Sergio Tacchini gave it some ‘ommer, we imagine, in the dressing room and then came out and sat on his own for a good 5 minutes before the chastened troops appeared.
His move from the trademark tank top concerned me, but, let’s hope whatever magic words he left them to ruminate would have the desired effect.

Yeah, they didn’t.

Jack impressed, we pushed, they stood firm. Hawker came on for another injury, and it started to click.

A corner. Another. Another. More than a dodecahedron.

Macca nearly, loads of last-ditch from them and nothing heading up our end. Could we? Will we?

Nervy, but yet another Jack-attack on the right and a great cross winged in. Tap in for Gregory. Muted hysteria. Nerves.

A quick Google and we established that penalties were less than 10 minutes away. Tamworth away and surviving a predictable Snapper skyer? Or most others since? Time would tell.

And it did. The lad Holmes looks as good as anything I’ve seen in a while - he’d strayed to the left, and picked it up outside the box. Ducked inside. And again. And again. The ghost of Ricky Villa in ‘81, another jink and it was nestling in the back of the sack.
Great skill and a great finish from a great prospect.
How many games did Dean Stokes play for us before he was nicked, ironically by some other East Midland-ites.
Count them down, Jack’s here for a good time, not a long time.

As a further reference to those from Burslem, the other terrace highlight was a sideline wag who scolded their keeper’s time wasting with “Fuck off you Vale prick!”
Hardly Oscar Wilde, but a corker nonetheless.

2 hours there, 2 there and 2 back. And worth it for the skill of our latest signing. Enjoy him, while it lasts.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 13 Sep 2020, 07:57

YeltzDoc wrote:
12 Sep 2020, 22:07

A corner. Another. Another. More than a dodecahedron.
Wow! You don't get words like that in DJ's report ??? How wonderfully well contrived by the successive corners :)

Can you give us your scribblings every week please?

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 13 Sep 2020, 08:34

YeltzDoc wrote:

Knee-jerk demands a snooty comment about cycling tracks but it worked much better than running / dog tracks (Sittingbourne, old Corby, old Wembley, old, old, Kiddy etc).
You forgot Sandwell Borough (what were they previously called?) - managed by the frighteningly insane Alf Bowerman :o

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 13 Sep 2020, 08:37

YeltzDoc wrote:

The gaffer, “resplendent” in some mid-80s style Sergio Tacchini gave it some ‘ommer, we imagine, in the dressing room and then came out and sat on his own for a good 5 minutes before the chastened troops appeared.
Excellent alternative report.
Deffo think we need one of these weekly.

I noticed the gaffers early return to the dugout and he certainly didn't look happy. I'm sure a few interesting words were said.

Any idea on when draw is made for next round?? Interestingly is is scheduled to take place on Tues 22nd Sept. Lets hope we get home draw

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 13 Sep 2020, 08:55

Monday. No time confirmed but usually 1pm.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 13 Sep 2020, 09:15

Nice pics online, especially of the cursed / not cursed flag.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/evo54/alb ... 948007697/

I’d forgotten some of the other idiosyncrasies of the day, in no particular order -

“Tle Town”
The sheer volume of tattoos on show.
Ash Carter’s 1950s hairstyle, like a non-league Scott Parker but presumably with less of the Johnny Mathis. (A prize for anyone who untangles that reference).
My son inexplicably not getting me gravy with my pie and peas - some gibberish about me not liking them mixing. Tosh I say! Disinheritance imminent.
Nice trees.
Justice Jacobs - Rastafari Lino. Westy has all their albums.
Rich Gregory coming right across at the end with Macca to applaud us, lovely touch.
Their number 9 really was shit.

Precious times...