Banbury United

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
saddlersandyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Banbury United

Post by saddlersandyeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 17:13

I rarely post on here but I'm moved to write. As has been said, while we won, the warning signs were there against Lowestoft. Hardly any decent service for the front two, playing so narrow for most of the match with our talented full backs hardly crossing the halfway line, let alone getting crosses in or getting to the by line to stretch the Lowestoft defence. it was easy for them. We have forward talent at the club who would thrive on some decent service. I also believe that the management team have talked about squad rotation being their policy this season? Perhaps that was the reason for the team selection last night? For goodness sake take a leaf out of Cloughie's book - work out who your best 11 are and pick a settled side injury and form permitting.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 18:01

But, that's a little too obvious, isn't it?

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 15 Aug 2018, 19:07

I guess the response for rotating the forwards will be that 1 of them is old and the other isn't match fit. I would go along with the Ebanks Blake not fit enough for 2 games in a week but Hughes looks like a spring chicken! Other than that if they can't decide on a settled team were not going to get anywhere in my opinion. Its no different to the revolving door we saw last year, it's just the players are already here. I know they will all want game time but you have to earn that and then will be rewarded with a regular place. It all smacks a little bit of desperation to me. :-\

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 19:11

andy wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 19:07
I guess the response for rotating the forwards will be that 1 of them is old and the other isn't match fit. I would go along with the Ebanks Blake not fit enough for 2 games in a week but Hughes looks like a spring chicken! Other than that if they can't decide on a settled team were not going to get anywhere in my opinion. Its no different to the revolving door we saw last year, it's just the players are already here. I know they will all want game time but you have to earn that and then will be rewarded with a regular place. It all smacks a little bit of desperation to me. :-\
Ebanks-Blake isn't going to get fit by sitting down on the subs bench. Hughes looks the fittest player in a squad. I could understand resting players if it was November and we had a run of Sat, Tues, Sat games, but this was our second game of the season!

I think someone nailed it above, you can understand not using one, but to drop both and go one up front was just madness.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

saddlersandyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by saddlersandyeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 20:37

Would concede that resting Ebanks Blake might make sense - but while squad rotation seems to be the in thing these days I'm still a great believer in getting a settled side as far as possible. I suppose John likes to play a narrow, defensive formation with one up front to make us hard to break down and score against - but it on the evidence of last night it doesn't seem to be working. And it means that we aren't playing to our strengths. When we revert to a front two and get the ball out wide we look dangerous.

dazzlingdazza
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dazzlingdazza » 15 Aug 2018, 21:05

I agree with a lot of the points made here. If you look at Gilpin, goodness knows where he was supposed to be playing at times, when he was hugging the wing and 1 v 1 with a fullback or even 1 v 2 at times, he was getting past them for fun !

I thought Roberts worked his socks off last night and got what he could for us including the penalty, he must of been frustrated for an hour until Lee Hughes came on.

Centre Back is definitely our main problem. Though Brags used to be a certain amount comfortable on the ball in Centre Midfield he certainly isn’t at Centre Back so it means that it’s just hoofed up field. I like Brags a lot but if we had more options in that position he wouldn’t be in my starting 11, the problem is it’s hard to drop him as he’s captain.

I agree with what has been said. The potential is there but the set up at times and the way we play at times isn’t. If you look at our bench over the 2 games it looks strong which hasn’t been the case for many a year, sometimes we have even struggled to fill the bench !

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 16 Aug 2018, 16:47

Laurel Lane Lamper wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 10:48

Did anyone go to the mid-season friendly that M****l arranged at Kettering, where he’d “enjoyed “ himself prior to The Grove?
I’ve tried to recall our players that night but I expect it’s the ageing process that’s beating me.
And as for goalies I’ll go for Malcolm Shakespeare.....
Down The Grove last night I found others that did go to Kettering but still no players

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 16 Aug 2018, 20:54

16 Aug 2018, 16:47
15 Aug 2018, 10:48

Did anyone go to the mid-season friendly that M****l arranged at Kettering, where he’d “enjoyed “ himself prior to The Grove?
I’ve tried to recall our players that night but I expect it’s the ageing process that’s beating me.
And as for goalies I’ll go for Malcolm Shakespeare.....
Down The Grove last night I found others that did go to Kettering but still no players
Yer can't nominate yer Dad! ::)