Banbury United

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Banbury United

Post by RobYeltz » 14 Aug 2018, 23:32

Our best player in the first two games has been Platty. He kept us in it on Saturday and kept the score down tonight. If they had been a little more ruthless tonight it could have been 4 or 5. We've scored 2 goals, both from penalties and had one attempt on target (aside from the penalties) in each game. I would say 80-100 Yeltz folk travelled tonight and I would imagine none of them would have considered we would have seen both Hughes and Ebanks-Blake on the bench.

Roberts looks a really decent player upfront, but we need to get support around him as he was too isolated, particularly in the 1st half. Big improvement needed.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 14 Aug 2018, 23:40

I agree with the above link. But for Platt, we could and should have lost 5 or 6 - 0.

More Yeltz fans need to protest. I have a lot of fans come up to me at the ground and tell me i'm right. Let's be vocal and let our feelings heard, please. Let's all get together.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

THEYELTZBUG
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by THEYELTZBUG » 14 Aug 2018, 23:50

A very strange team selection. Why both Hughes and Ebanks Blake didn’t play is strange. Platt kept us in the game with at least five maybe more crucial saves. Where is Agbor has he been excluded from the squad. Why is Goddard not playing I thought he was injured but he confirmed he is not which I do not understand. So many questions need answering it just looks same old to me. We got away with it last Saturday and clearly didn’t today. New squad but same old rubbish to me.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 00:01

THEYELTZBUG wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 23:50
A very strange team selection. Why both Hughes and Ebanks Blake didn’t play is strange. Platt kept us in the game with at least five maybe more crucial saves. Where is Agbor has he been excluded from the squad. Why is Goddard not playing I thought he was injured but he confirmed he is not which I do not understand. So many questions need answering it just looks same old to me. We got away with it last Saturday and clearly didn’t today. New squad but same old rubbish to me.
Agbor and Goddard are decent, attacking and creative players. Is that their crime?

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 15 Aug 2018, 01:26

Banbury United 2 Halesowen Town 1

The Yeltz returned to Banbury in the Southern League after an absence of seven years but left empty-handed after being undone by two early home goals and the trickery of Ravi Shamsi and Greg Kaziboni.

Halesowen opted to leave both Lee Hughes and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake on the bench with James Roberts leading the attack after his promising debut as substitute three days earlier. All three goals came in the first 16 minutes of an entertaining first period and in Halesowen’s first attack Aaron Gilpin made a good 3rd minute run and cross from the right.

Shamsi and Kaziboni both constantly exposed the Yeltz defence and delivered a series of dangerous crosses from both left and right throughout the game. Shamsi first featured with his first warning to the visitors in the 4th minute when his cross from the left was scrambled clear. Just a minute later, Halesowen failed to clear Shamsi’s free-kick from the left allowing Puritans’ captain Charlie WISE to smack home the 5th minute opening goal.

But Halesowen soon drew level when Roberts was tripped in the penalty area by Charlie Hawtin and ROBERTS stepped up to score from the penalty spot in the 10th minute.

The early excitement continued as Shamsi was too fast for the visiting defence after 13 minutes when he rounded goalkeeper Dan Platt, but he could only hit the side-netting after being forced too wide. However, it was no real surprise when the Puritans regained the lead after 16 minutes and it came in spectacular fashion with a superb strike from over 20 yards into the corner of the net by that man KAZIBONI.

With Halesowen under siege, Steve Diggin went close from the right in the 26th minute and Kaziboni beat the home defence again after 34 minutes with a dangerous cross. Shamsi put another cross along the face of goal a minute later and Platt made a terrific save to deny on-fire Gaziboni in the 36th minute. The lively first half ended with Shamsi bamboozling Enock Ekongo as, from seemingly nowhere, he lashed a shot from the left against the outside of the post.

The second half started in much the same pattern as Diggin’s shot was saved by Platt and Lewis Gabbidon headed a corner at Platt after Shamsi robbed Danny Bragoli. Gabbidon then headed another corner at Platt in the 55th minute.

Yeltz substitute Lee Hughes latched onto a long ball to fire across goal after an hour but it was Kaziboni who burst forward from midfield a minute later with Platt to the rescue again with a good save. Hughes went close again in the 65th minute when he collected the ball on the edge of the area and side-stepped two defenders before turning to force a good save from goalkeeper James Goff.

Banbury almost finally found a deserved third goal in the 74th minute when Diggin’s looping header struck the crossbar but Kaziboni was unable to force the rebound home.

With Halesowen just a goal behind there was always a chance of getting back into the game and as the contest came towards the end, it was the hosts who came under pressure – not aided by their dangermen Shamsi and Kaziboni both being substituted with the hosts electing to protect the slim lead. With three minutes remaining substitute Sylvan Ebanks-Blake struck the side-netting after good work from Roberts and Banbury kept out two injury time corners.

Banbury United: James Goff; Charlie Hawtin, Jordy N’gathe, Lewis Gabbidon, Charlie Wise (c), Lee Henderson, Jack Finch, Jack Self, Steve Diggin, Ravi Shamsi, Greg Kaziboni. Subs: Amer Awadh, Ben Baker, Mark Bell, Ricky Johnson, Harry Whitehead.

Halesowen Town: Dan Platt; Enock Ekongo (Bradley Lewis 53), Jack Kelly, Ivor Lawton (Sylvan Ebanks-Blake 72), Danny Bragoli (c), Asa Charlton, Aaron Gilpin, Jack Rea, James Roberts, Ahmed Ali, Andrew Haworth (Lee Hughes 53). Subs Not Used: Jordan Goddard, Sam Tonks.

Referee: Neil Pratt Attendance: 395
HTFC Man of the Match: Dan Platt

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 15 Aug 2018, 06:39

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 00:01
THEYELTZBUG wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 23:50
Agbor and Goddard are decent, attacking and creative players. Is that their crime?
Agbor has just become a Dad so I think that’s why he’s not there.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 07:50

For the last three seasons we have been in a relegation fight and should have gone down last season if normal circumstances prevailed.
The common factor in all this is the JH/MC combination.
Up to now I have been willing to give the duo one more chance to show what they can do with better players and a stabilised club structure. We now have that but - and I know that we've only played two games - it is patently obvious that that is not going to happen.
Why neither of our two very experienced strikers started last night and we then play one up front against two big centre backs is beyond belief!
It is so disappointing that, after the euphoria following the recent takeover, we now see that those who control the playing side are unable to match the ambitions of the fans and, I would hope, the new ownership.
The good players that we have recruited will not hang around for long if this is to be the style of play that is demanded of them.
If something is not done to change things in the immediate future then I truly fear the worst.l

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 08:43

lutleyyeltz wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 07:50
For the last three seasons we have been in a relegation fight and should have gone down last season if normal circumstances prevailed.
The common factor in all this is the JH/MC combination.
Up to now I have been willing to give the duo one more chance to show what they can do with better players and a stabilised club structure. We now have that but - and I know that we've only played two games - it is patently obvious that that is not going to happen.
Why neither of our two very experienced strikers started last night and we then play one up front against two big centre backs is beyond belief!
It is so disappointing that, after the euphoria following the recent takeover, we now see that those who control the playing side are unable to match the ambitions of the fans and, I would hope, the new ownership.
The good players that we have recruited will not hang around for long if this is to be the style of play that is demanded of them.
If something is not done to change things in the immediate future then I truly fear the worst.l
Excellent post, sums up perfectly how I feel.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 15 Aug 2018, 09:50

When Platty is MOTM time and time and time again it can only mean one thing. He kept us from being rock bottom last year and we should not have to rely on him to do the same again.
While we're on the subject I have to say we have nearly always been fortunate to have quality goalkeepers for as long as I can remember and for me Platt is up there with Danny right at the top.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 15 Aug 2018, 09:56

andy wrote:
15 Aug 2018, 09:50
Platt is up there with Danny right at the top.
Nonsense and ridiculous! That honour should fall only to one man - Phil 'The Cat' Caldicott ;)