Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Newtown Updates

Post by Johnny Bud » 28 Jul 2018, 16:49

Won 2.1

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 28 Jul 2018, 17:24

A good feeling amongst those at The Grove, today. I wonder why?
Some good football from both sides but, from a Yeltz perspective, Ali stood out as absolute quality. Hughes and E-B seemed to have a good understanding from the off which bodes well.
Defensively we were sound and the lad, Gilpin, showed pace and endeavour, although his final delivery was often wasted.
All in all we have a squad which offers options which can't be bad.
Onwards and upwards!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Jul 2018, 17:26

Not a bad workout against what appeared to be decent opposition. Fairly low tempo throughout though so difficult to judge where individual players are at so far. Ali impressed once again for me if I was to pick anyone out but all the 15/16? players will be happy to have another run out under their belts.

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 28 Jul 2018, 18:12

There’s the old cliches ‘it’s only a friendly’ and ‘pre-season means nothing’ - both of which are true, but I have to say I genuinely came away from The Grove this afternoon feeling very satisfied and dare I say, very positive.

A good workout and good performance against a competitive side with some encouraging displays with a standout showing from Ali who looks a real prospect.

Agbor proved a menace off the bench, plus newbies Gilpin and Hawthorn also impresssed me too when they came on.

Lee Hughes once again rolled back the years with his display in the first half and took his goal well, before taking a knock I believe.

Of course the pre match feel good factor was provided by the signing of Ebanks-Blake. He did ok in the 65 minutes or so he was on the field. Lacking some fitness and match sharpness which is to be expected but linked up well with Hughes and made some intelligent moves that showed his obvious quality.

Also just a mention to say that the pitch is looking great and also the improvements to the ground give the place a fresh feel and the early stages of the JG Lounge refurbishment look promising too so well done to all who have worked hard over the summer!

See you Tuesday!

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 28 Jul 2018, 19:31

Agree completely on the pitch. Looks great despite the recent hot weather.

Ground improvements fantastic- well done to those involved over the summer. And the bar is coming along nicely as well.

And just to say also that Ahmed Ali is different gravy.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Jul 2018, 21:20

Too cold. Not good enough.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 28 Jul 2018, 21:22

Tomorrow's press report...
Halesowen Town 2 Newtown AFC 1

Halesowen came from behind in an evenly matched workout against previously unbeaten Welsh Premier League Newtown.

New Yeltz signing Sylvan Ebanks-Blake headed at Newtown goalkeeper Dave Jones in the 6th minute as Jack Kelly whipped in a couple of early dangerous corners.

The Robins then took a 14th minute lead when former Yeltz player Ethan JONES bundled home a rebound after home goalkeeper Dan Platt saved from Alex Fletcher. But their advantage lasted less than a minute as home striker Lee HUGHES was left free on goal to twist and turn to slot past Jones with ease.

Fletcher almost restored Newtown’s lead when his 26th minute low drive fell narrowly wide after he won the ball in midfield and surged forward. Before the interval ex-Wolves striker Ebanks-Blake was denied by Jones and Newtown’s Fletcher planted a header just over the bar from Craig Williams’ corner.

The Yeltz made four half-time substitutions, but it was the Robins who went close early in the second period as Platt blocked another Fletcher effort and Luke Boundford blazed a good chance over the bar.

Jones palmed away from Ahmed Ali in the 65th minute after he was set up by home substitute Roland Agbor but home substitute Bradley LEWIS soon headed home Halesowen’s close range winner directly from Kelly’s 72nd minute corner. Late on, Ethan Jones wriggled free but was denied his Newtown equaliser by Platt’s save.

Halesowen Town: Platt; Tonks, Kelly, Goddard, Bragoli, Dean, Ali, Rea, Hughes, Ebanks-Blake, Lawton. Subs: Haworth, Gilpin, Ekongo, Agbor, MacPherson, Lewis.

Newtown AFC: D. Jones; Craig Williams, Roberts, Goodwyn, Bailey, Denny, Fletcher, Phillips, Boundford, Mitchell, E. Jones. Subs: Harries, Perry, Craig Williams, Kenton, Cook.

Man of the Match: Jack Kelly (Halesowen)

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 29 Jul 2018, 11:31

Some very positive signs. But we've all seen good pre-season performances before, only to see us be abysmal in the league. So it's a cautious optimistic attitude from me.

It was actually enjoyable, though and I'm very much looking forward to Tuesday. It's been a while since I've looked forward to a Yeltz match for footballing reasons!

Anyone know what the attendance was yesterday?
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 29 Jul 2018, 11:57

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
29 Jul 2018, 11:31
Some very positive signs. But we've all seen good pre-season performances before, only to see us be abysmal in the league. So it's a cautious optimistic attitude from me.

It was actually enjoyable, though and I'm very much looking forward to Tuesday. It's been a while since I've looked forward to a Yeltz match for footballing reasons!

Anyone know what the attendance was yesterday?