Khalsa

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Khalsa

Post by piearce9 » 25 Jul 2018, 09:14

First friendly for me last night.

Trialists, as could probably be expected, were a mixed bag. A couple appeared to have the right quality for this level.

MacPherson impressed me when he came on. Always looking to find a gap to run in behind and I would imagine he could work well with Hughesy up top in a partnership akin to Christie/Haseley.

I know there'll be plenty more comings and goings but the area that needs most attention is centre back. It's imperative that we sign a couple of experienced big boys, especially having lost Kyle Morrison. I would suggest the captain's armband is up for grabs as well, so ideally someone with experience at a higher level and a bit of leadership quality would be ideal.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Khalsa

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 25 Jul 2018, 13:37

piearce9 wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 09:14
First friendly for me last night.

Trialists, as could probably be expected, were a mixed bag. A couple appeared to have the right quality for this level.

MacPherson impressed me when he came on. Always looking to find a gap to run in behind and I would imagine he could work well with Hughesy up top in a partnership akin to Christie/Haseley.

I know there'll be plenty more comings and goings but the area that needs most attention is centre back. It's imperative that we sign a couple of experienced big boys, especially having lost Kyle Morrison. I would suggest the captain's armband is up for grabs as well, so ideally someone with experience at a higher level and a bit of leadership quality would be ideal.
I was impressed with No.4 trailist and no.7 trialist. No.4 ran the game, particularly first half. Other than that, none of the trailists have impressed me, in fact a few were quite poor.

I agree with you with regards to the centre back situation. It needs looking at ASAP, if we go into the season with the pairing we started with, we'll struggle to keep clean sheets. Being in a position where we have to play a CM there isn't ideal. We do have two excellent full backs on our books in Ekongo and Kelly, Sam Tonks looks a good addition too. I just hope we don't waste the talents of either of those three by shoehorning them into a CB position. Round pegs for round holes, please.

With regards the actual match, I thought we controlled large periods of the match, but we lacked that killer edge in front of goal. For all the good play we produced, we didn't create much, did we? I'm of the opinion that our players seem to lack confidence in the final third. Small things like not being willing to shoot from distance, but instead choosing the simple pass, taking an extra touch rather than shooting first time, or holding onto the ball out wide, rather than whipping in a cross first time, is a classic sign of low confidence and low self belief in a player. A lack of confidence, or apparent lack of belief has been an issue I've mentioned previously with regard to the Yeltz. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else see that?

Anyway, it was a good work out against a competitive side. And I was pleased to see us try and play some football on the floor. That's always a bonus.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz