Mickleover Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Mickleover Updates

Post by RaidenYeltz » 12 Oct 2016, 19:10

andy wrote:Seem to remember also it was probably the least Town fans I can ever remember at a game. Probably less than the Gretna 15 that Thursday night. Under the cosh for 89 minutes and their fans got more and more irate as the evening went on. Happy days. ;D
The Gretna 15 sounds like a horror film.

CRHTheTog
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by CRHTheTog » 12 Oct 2016, 19:15

CRHTheTog
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by CRHTheTog » 12 Oct 2016, 19:16

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 12 Oct 2016, 19:58

RaidenYeltz wrote:
andy wrote:Seem to remember also it was probably the least Town fans I can ever remember at a game. Probably less than the Gretna 15 that Thursday night. Under the cosh for 89 minutes and their fans got more and more irate as the evening went on. Happy days. ;D
The Gretna 15 sounds like a horror film.
After Doc had travelled up from London via train, bus, taxi, horse and cart, and whatever else he added to the list over the years, his entrance WAS like something from a horror film.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 12 Oct 2016, 20:23

Sorry to completely hijack the thread but the talk of Crawleys old ground got me thinking. Back in the day there were a few 'inhospitable' grounds that we visited. London grounds in general, Crawley, Tamworth, bank holiday trips to Gloucester, Kings Lynn, early visits to Merthyr, and I'm sure many more I cant remember (thankfully I was not at Frickley :o ). I was just wondering do we have any places like this nowadays or have times changed?

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 12 Oct 2016, 20:39

andy wrote:Sorry to completely hijack the thread but the talk of Crawleys old ground got me thinking. Back in the day there were a few 'inhospitable' grounds that we visited. London grounds in general, Crawley, Tamworth, bank holiday trips to Gloucester, Kings Lynn, early visits to Merthyr, and I'm sure many more I cant remember (thankfully I was not at Frickley :o ). I was just wondering do we have any places like this nowadays or have times changed?
Goole.

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 12 Oct 2016, 22:23

I was at Frickley at the tender age of 15. Cant remember any grief betwen fans but the hatred towards the Police was intense.

I seem to remember Rocester being a bit of an unpleasant experience. Warrington in the vase semi's was orrible too.

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 12 Oct 2016, 22:58

Wisbech in the Vase semi, I recall a home fan practising his darts.

Gloucester could also be very colourful.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 13 Oct 2016, 15:12

There were 11 of us at Crawley. I remember saying to Malcolm in the bar afterwards, that there'd always be at least 11 of us, causing him to comment, "Is that in case we don't turn up?"

And nasty trips? Corby. Ask Floudy about their fans chucking coins at him from that back of their stand.

Overall a pretty horrible trip. It took me forever to get there, having taken a train to Wellingborough a bus to Corby and a 2-3 mile walk to the ground. Then it's surrounded by a track for drag racing, dog racing or something and you can just about see the pitch, even though the view is somewhat obstructed by the curvature of the earth.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 13 Oct 2016, 15:16

Goole and Rocester? I didn't think they had any fans, let alone a "crew".

The only one I can remember from modern times was when it nearly went off at Marske. Although that was mostly on the pitch and one knob-end in the crowd, who Westy would have knocked into the North Sea without putting his cider down.