Marine 2nd Jan

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Marine 2nd Jan

Post by RaidenYeltz » 02 Jan 2016, 21:28

Fantastic result.

So glad for Parsons-Smith to not only get back playing but playing well. It's not easy after such a long lay off to come back and hit the ground running.

He played well last time out and getting a goal today (how did he play those that were there?).

Let's hope this is the start to a good 2016, and we can put the por form of 2015 behind us.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 02 Jan 2016, 21:45

When you go away from home you hope that you'll be well organised, defend resiliently and take your chances. Today we did that and some.

The early Yeltz goal helped as we defended in numbers and allowed them the ball without any real pressure on the ball until they got into our half, then we hunted in packs and played them on the break. Bragoli and Denny I thought were excellent in the middle and the opening goal came from Bragoli and JMG winning the ball and Brags putting a great cross on the head of Anderson who headed home brilliantly. Ashley Parsons Smith scored a great goal in the second half after running some 30 yards with the ball but he might have had a couple in the first half had the ball not got stuck under his feet and he'd not smashed one over the bar. Considering it was his first start on a heavy pitch I thought he did brilliantly today. The third came when Anderson put the ball across to Melvin who tapped in.
They had a lot of the ball, but to be fair we allowed them the ball in areas that wouldn't hurt us and we broke quickly when we had it. Picking a man of the match today would be very tricky as every single player contributed in some way.

Rowley - Two good saves, one in each half - didn't have much to do out of the ordinary - showed good concentration when called upon
Connolly - Advanced well with the ball and fed Parsons-Smith on numerous occassions. Defended well when called upon
Griffiths - See above
Denny - I've been really impressed with Denny today and the second half of last week, did lots of ugly work and used the ball well when we had it
Hull - Looked back to his best, won headers, made blocks and tackles. Used the ball wisely - no nonsense when needed.
Parsons-Smith - Great running backwards and forwards, scored a cracker could have had another. Great to see him in the team - Will get better with more games surely?
Charlton - A typical Asa performance, steady, solid, composed, the same as pretty much every other performance this season in a Yeltz shirt
Bragoli - Ran his goolies off, great tenacity and cross for the opener, could have scored in the second half, but won every tackle he could.
Anderson - Up against two big ugly central defenders I thought he might struggle. He didn't, he moved them around won his fair share of balls and his movement was a joy to behold.
Melvin - Best game in a Yeltz shirt and thoroughly deserved his goal, was like a busy bee and covered every blade of grass on the pitch. Made challenges, used the ball well and was composed on a heavy pitch.
Gueyes - Great trickery and caused their right back problems so much they often doubled up on him. His decision making seems to be getting better and his work rate was superb. He strikes me as a lad who responds well to encouragement and on todays performance he's fully deserving of praise.

Subs:
Turner: Came on to hold the ball up against a tiring defence. He's a big strong lad but deceptively quick and has good feet, if we need to go 4-4-2 in future games I think him and Anderson could be a great pairing.
Westood: Came on to waste some time, nothing of note to report.
Morrison: See above

Disappointingly we only had three outfield subs today with Dan Watson our fourth. I believe Brad Lewis was ill, but no sign of Waite or Summerfield. I do think if we want to push on we could do with adding to the squad a little. It seems for whatever reason John doesn't ever really have full squad to rely on and the competition would be healthy. I also think that we're only a couple of players away from being decent side, hopefully we can continue to improve.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 02 Jan 2016, 23:10

Thanks for the comprehensive report as I couldn't make it. Good to get a win as the Prem makes horrible reading :(

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 03 Jan 2016, 08:09

Another great away day at Marine. Fair play to them getting the game on.

This year it was dry and certainly a lot warmer.

Sorry for the less than normal vocals I was under the weather.

But the team and management did what they set out to do. As Rob said hard to choose a MOTM.
Marine were not a poor side. Everyone played well for us and that was the difference.

Ashley Parson-Smith deserves a mention. Out with injury caused last training session pre-season.
Been to ALL home games and some away since, which considering he was a new addition to the squad pre-season is nice to see.
Second half last week, along with change of shape made a real impact,
Against Marine he had a good 70 minutes, causing them problems, was unlucky not to have had two goals. He had what appeared to be two easier chances than the one he scored.
For his goal he ran at the defense took on several defenders and made space to get away a superb strike.

Well done to ALL see you against Blythe.

dazzlingdazza
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dazzlingdazza » 03 Jan 2016, 10:31

Excellently summed up as always Rob. A typical good professional away performance, everyone played their part. Marine probably had 60% of possession overall, knocked it around the back nicely, but when they tried to penitrate our final 3rd there was always a Yeltz player to stop them. We took our goals well and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.

2016 certainly off to a great start. Well done everyone !

DanielRolinson
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DanielRolinson » 03 Jan 2016, 12:27

Yeltz TV

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 03 Jan 2016, 17:13

It's not easy getting to many away games in this league, but I have always wanted to visit Marine (not many people will admit that) and it was totally worth the visit. Marine is a really nice little club, with a pitch quite literally squeezed between the local housing stock, and the ladies in the cafe were also very forgiving of me for spilling gravy everywhere.

Better still was the performance. We were solid at the back, harried everything in the midfield, and were clinical up front. Anderson looks to be quite a player- very astute in his movement and clearly a good finisher too. But I think the presence of two lively wingers really makes a lot of difference. I was collared by the same Marine fan at half time and full time who was waxing lyrical about our number 6 (Parsons-Smith)- and it was superb to see him back and showing what he's capable of. I hate to think how many more goals/points we may have clocked up without his injury keeping him out.

There was a bit of me that felt that Marine weren't at their best, but to play like this we are going to give any defence at this level a few problems. We've got a really tough set of fixtures this month and next, but we are 8th in the table now and have 39 points, so I do hope that this affords the players the option to play with a little freedom in these upcoming fixtures, as I genuinely think we could spring a few surprises.