Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Salford Updates

Post by Johnny Bud » 29 Sep 2015, 21:41

Lost 3.1

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 29 Sep 2015, 22:00

That's Salford's first home win of the season surprisingly.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 30 Sep 2015, 00:47

Just got back. A long old journey home with diversions and closed junctions on the M6.

Whether it was a case of us starting slowly or them coming out the blocks on fire I'm not sure but the first few minutes proved to be tough for us, we conceded early and from that moment it was always a case of playing catch up. They moved the ball around well with great accuracy and urgency, unfortunately for them they lost a lot of that composure when shooting as their efforts on goal where frequently high, wide and not very handsome. If we had been going in at half time 4-0 down you wouldn't have heard a Yeltzman complain as was their dominance. 2-0 gave us half a chance if we could only grab a goal.

The second half we had a go, having a 20/25 minute spell midway into the second half helped and Bragoli scored on his return from injury with a one yard screamer, from Joe Hull's header from Connolly's corner. Even so they were unlucky/wasteful to not go ahead further early in the second half. It looked for a while like they might panic at the back, with the lively Reffell causing some worries in the home defence but they finished the game with a late winner to seal the points.

No complaints about the result, the better team won convincingly. If they don't finish in the top 2/3 I'll wear Jonny Bud's Blues tracksuit at the end of the season. It's a shame really that I came to love this level of football because of the competitiveness of the football, where each team is relatively evenly matched and finances are of a similar level. Tonight I saw a reminder of modern football where players are earning really good money and the playing field wasn't level. Salford clearly are investing their (or their Millionaires money) into the team and pitch - however the ground really was poor with little signs of any development with regard to the facilities.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Sep 2015, 10:43

Johnny Bud wrote:Losing 2.0

And Ben 10 has a first half hat trick for Stafford!
We should never have let Ben go. Simply not replaced him. His 8 goals so far shows he has still got it.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 30 Sep 2015, 11:13

<TIN HAT ON>
As far as Ben is concerned I'm not saying we've replaced him and this may seem controversial, but I don't think he can do it at this level. I know I'm now going to have 'but look at what he's doing at Stafford' and 'look how many he got last season' (not a lot compared to Christie who I think is more of a miss or his previous seasons) but he's in a very strong lower division Stafford side in a division he has banged loads in at before.

We do however need to find something better upfront but imagine we're going to need a few quid for that. Although Pearson has shown a few glimpses, he's not been what was expected considering the experience and potential budget used on him.

Anyway, last night was exactly how Rob suggests. They were superb first half (and we struggled to get into the game). Second half we put up a bit of a fight without looking overly threatening, but they killed the game off as we pushed up in injury time. We shouldn't have been near being able to equalise. They had players on loan / signed for Salford as well as their parent clubs from Blackburn, Bolton and others (I gave up listening!). Plus Danny Webber wouldn't be cheap or Gareth Seddon. Webber didn't even play!!!

Sccmkcyr
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Sccmkcyr » 30 Sep 2015, 11:45

andy wrote:

We should never have let Ben go. Simply not replaced him. His 8 goals so far shows he has still got it.
Ben wanted to drop down a level to play more locally due to work commitments.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Sep 2015, 13:06

Sccmkcyr wrote:
andy wrote:

Ben wanted to drop down a level to play more locally due to work commitments.
Ahh, didn't realise that was the case. Shame. Still irreplaceable in my mind.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 30 Sep 2015, 18:29

I'm glad that someone stuck with the "Ben couldn't cut it at this level" claim, as that was flying around quite a bit last season, and I really do think it warrants a tin hat. I'm not really sure what people expected from the guy- he wasn't going to bang in another 40 goals at the higher level but he was still a class finisher and a massive fans' favourite. I bloody miss him as I don't think there many players like him in non-league.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 30 Sep 2015, 20:40

piearce9 wrote:I'm glad that someone stuck with the "Ben couldn't cut it at this level" claim, as that was flying around quite a bit last season, and I really do think it warrants a tin hat. I'm not really sure what people expected from the guy- he wasn't going to bang in another 40 goals at the higher level but he was still a class finisher and a massive fans' favourite. I bloody miss him as I don't think there many players like him in non-league.
I agree that Ben is missed, even when not on form his pace and work rate would cause teams problems. If the guy didn't want to play for us as his work commitments didn't/wouldn't allow then of course we have to respect that.
Last edited by RobYeltz on 30 Sep 2015, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

spongeyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by spongeyeltz » 30 Sep 2015, 20:57

Agree with the last two points. Unfortunately i didn't get to see Ben until last season, but i could still recognise the bloke could finish. Would i have him in the starting eleven this season. You bet I would and for that matter Isyeden as well. Just thought I'd give a point of view from someone who didn't see Ben in full splendour.