Skelmersdale

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Skelmersdale

Post by Yeltz27 » 23 Aug 2015, 15:50

piearce9 wrote:Have to add also that I don't think another manager will get much better performances from the players, as per the Lambert/Sherwood comparison you've used. We have too many players in this squad who just aren't up to this level of football.
So did the Villa when Sherwood took over!

I also take your point about the newer and older fans. As I see it we are currently playing at our natural level. This is where we have tended to be. So when we went down we were below that. If I had started going two years ago you would feel with the promotion we have gone up a level whereas to those who have been going for a long time it's different

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 23 Aug 2015, 17:08

You are correct in saying that we have been at the current level for most of the last 25 years (with the odd blip) but there is a background to that.

The external financial input is probably lower than for much of that time. Certainly when I started supporting the club when Nigel Pitt and Mark Serrell were financially propping things their input was ITRO £50k/year. Paul Floud has said on several occasions that the price to get on the Board (in a slightly earlier period) was to either contribute or fund raise £10k pa

I have said it here before; Mark gave a full and frank exhibition of club finances in late Summer 2007 and it was the clearest and most honest explanation of football club finance I have ever seen.

At the time he asked the question of whether we were punching above our weight. The clear implication at the time was that we were. With the passage of time, I think he was right then and the same logic applies now. With what I understand to the be the financial input to the club, we are probably playing half a division higher than we can sustain long term ie our natural position is to be between NLP and NLPD1S.

This is not meant to be a criticism or anyone or a call for a sugar daddy (we got our fingers burnt enough last time round), I just want us to be realistic as to what can be achieved and to set sights accordingly

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 23 Aug 2015, 17:43

I'm not sure Noggin if the presentation in 2007 was at that year's AGM but shareholders always received annual reports, written and verbal, covering finance, football and all other matters relating to the Football Club and under AOB issues could be raised.
This also applied going back further than when the Club became a Limited Company to the days when the Club was Committee run with paid annual membership.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 23 Aug 2015, 17:48

It was at an open public meeting in the Yeltz Bar after Nigel had announced his intention to step down. The outcome was that "he who cannot be named" stepped in within weeks

Your point about the transparency of AGMs is well made though

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 23 Aug 2015, 17:50

A shudder has just gone through me ....

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 23 Aug 2015, 17:54

That is why there is a profanity filter on the site to prevent "that name" appearing. It is is protect sensitive souls like yourself L3

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 23 Aug 2015, 17:59

I'm glad that's recognised and it's appreciated .....

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 23 Aug 2015, 18:03

Some cracking points made on here, firstly about expectations, I agree it would be a good idea for someone to come out with what our target is for the season. I guess though that when we got to 50 points last season it all started to slip so maybe a degree of caution has been put in place. That said, in the interview with the Express & Star last season the owner stated he sees no reason why the club shouldn't aim for the conference, (I'm paraphrasing a little here) but he also said it had to done sensibly and not compromise the club in any way.

Being where we should be is also an interesting debate. FC United took how many seasons to get out of the NPL with a much bigger fanbase and infrastructure in place. That said, a club like Skelmersdale have also done a better job of dealing with this league than us having got promoted to it 12 months previous to us. Thier ground is poorer, they have less support and have to compete against many more clubs in the area for players.

I know JH has his supporters (Myself included) and I know there are those who question his style of football. I think JH has done a great job in getting us to where we are, he's not afraid to make difficult decisions and we have progressed under his management. That said, he's not untouchable and is as much worthy of criticism as anyone. Colin Brookes will often speak of John and say he is the best manager he's seen in 20 years, high praise indeed. I think JH deserves our support and loyalty at the moment. Anyone who follows him on twitter will see how honest he is about poor performances. If things are as they are after 12 games when the players have had longer then I think criticism is justified, in the meantime I personally feel he's enough credit in the bank. The style of football does need to improve, but with turnover of players we've had, couple with players being away on holiday, work commitments, and injury etc it will take time. We have to remember John has what 2 hours a week with them on the training pitch to work on aspects of play?
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

beastyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by beastyyeltz » 23 Aug 2015, 18:17

I think its hard for the club to actually to make any sort of statement on their expectations, simply because I don't think any of us know what to expect. We have lost the majority of our squad from last season and have just brought in a lot of fresh faces, so its difficult to know what to expect.

Our new look squad could gel very soon and improve on last season's position or finish in the same position, or we could be in for a long season where we struggle for the majority and the dreaded 'R' word might be muttered. We won't know where our season is heading until after quite a few games, so I'm guessing that's why we've heard little from the club on their expectations for this season.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 23 Aug 2015, 18:46

I think Robyeltz hit the nail on the head after Mickleover.
Players like Green, Tilt and Tonks were able to bed in at a lower level and improve. However they were regulars and good players for their previous teams as well.

Most of the players signed this season are either trying to step up 2 or 3 levels which is a gamble, whilst several of those from equivalent or higher levels were not first choices so had little game time.

Overall it currently looks like a downgrade on what was a decent team.