Skelmersdale

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
ZeeZee
Global Moderator

Re: Skelmersdale

Post by ZeeZee » 22 Aug 2015, 16:50

Just changed all my predictions on fantasy island to us scoring nil in every game, looks like I'll pick a few points up now.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 22 Aug 2015, 17:21

Latest quiz question - when will a Yeltz player actually put the ball into the net? :-[

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 22 Aug 2015, 17:58

I was concerned before the start of the season, now it's 2 wins out of the last 19 matches I'm really concerned :(

I haven't seen much of the action so far, only Tivi, but when I look at the match highlights, despite the excellent work of the film production team, there aren't really any!

Anyhow I'll get back to my Bardolino red and forget about it .....

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 23 Aug 2015, 08:56

Positives -
It was better than Tuesday.
Skelmersdale didn't really create many chances in the game either and they've beat Workington and Ilkeston.
Another good Yeltz following, probably taking close to a quarter of the attendance yesterday.
The back four worked better than the three that we've seen lately.

Negatives -
Was disappointed to see us not push more bodies forward with 10 minutes left of the game. Connor Collins did well when he came on but when he won the ball in the channels the support was too far away from him.
The forwards aren't getting chances created for them and seem unable to make much happen for themselves at the moment.

We do seem to be a slow starting team every season, we're three games into a long season and there is plenty of room for improvement without doubt. Three points on Tuesday night I'm sure will ease the early season nervousness.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 23 Aug 2015, 10:28

Still have the same amount of points as we did this time last year. We weren't as poor as we were on Tuesday. That's where the positives end from me.

I just cannot see a goal coming. If / when we concede a goal it feels as though that's the game won.

We desperately need a goal that's worked and scored by us. I'm fairly confident that once that goal comes the belief will pour back into the players and they'll be 5 yards quicker and two foot taller.

I just don't see where that goal is coming from.

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 23 Aug 2015, 11:06

Personally I think we have been found out. Countless times you see teams get promoted, start the next season well and then either start to struggle in the second half of that season or the next. I know teams won't scout other clubs like they do in the higher leagues, but I'd assume word travels between clubs. And after the first half of last season I suspect that all the teams knew what was coming their way when the Yeltz turned up-the long ball over the top or the long throw. Once they worked out how to stop those happening we were in trouble because as far as I have seen over the last two years, that is the only way the team is ever set up to play. There is no flexibility or plan B. You can argue about budgets etc, but how the team is set up to play is down to the manager. And having seen the end of last season and the beginning of this (along with the last two years of this "football"), I don't see it changing or results picking up anytime soon sadly. It's time to try something different

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 23 Aug 2015, 11:42

[quote="Yeltz27" And having seen the end of last season and the beginning of this (along with the last two years of this "football"), I don't see it changing or results picking up anytime soon sadly. It's time to try something different[/quote]

So Yeltz 27 just a question how many of the games have you been to this season? Not a dig just a question.

What would you like to see the team do?

Yesterday was an improvement and there is obviously more to be done. Yes we use the players ability. Yesterday it did not appear to be just the long ball and long throw as you have commented on.

Skem scored against the run of possession, a soft goal in my opinion. Neither keeper had a lot to do for the remainder of the match.

Cooper was just wide with a free kick that could have made the difference.

What was disappointing after once again good support from the fans only about 3 players acknowledged that support at the end of the game.

Yeltz27
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltz27 » 23 Aug 2015, 11:52

I am not really blaming the players as they are just doing what they are told. I have been going as I have said numerous times for over 20 years. Never have I felt like I do now where I'm not sure I can go and watch what I feel is unwatchable. And I can 100% assure you that there are a few that feel this way. And especially at ten pounds entry! I still do go obviously but it's hard work. Some entertainment is all I want. And the budget argument doesn't always work. I know the villa are still appalling but look at the difference Sherwood made with Lamberts players last season as an example.

I am placing far more emphasis on the end of last season than those who are saying it's a clean slate, only 3 games in etc. It's actually 20 games already where we have been dreadful, and even though results were ok before that it wasn't easy viewing. How many games do you give it before you start to come round to the idea that maybe it's not working-30,40, 2 more years?

You can disagree and dislike what I am saying, but I'm not in the "in John Hill we trust" camp and am entitled to that view. So far the evidence suggests that there are more reasons to be sceptical than there are to believe

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 23 Aug 2015, 14:59

What probably doesn't help is that the club haven't really stated the club's expectations.

In the last two seasons we had a clear, and agreed, target. Last year, the aim was to stay up. The year before that, it was the playoffs. In both cases, the club exceeded these targets.

Maybe if the club speaks out on what the target is for this season, then we can measure them against that? The danger for the "older" fans (of which I am one) is that we tend to compare the club against where we once were. Its not surprising that newer fans have a slightly more positive outlook, as they will be more likely to focus on the progress made over the last three years.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 23 Aug 2015, 15:02

Have to add also that I don't think another manager will get much better performances from the players, as per the Lambert/Sherwood comparison you've used. We have too many players in this squad who just aren't up to this level of football.