Re: Matlock Replay

Post by Poll » 04 Nov 2014, 21:36

FT 4-0. Hurrah

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 04 Nov 2014, 23:42

Just got back. It was bloody freezing!

Not many Yeltzmen or women there but those that did go saw a great performance. Today was every bit as good as Saturdays performance was poor. The effort tonight was as good as ever but I don't recall Sarge having to make anything more than a routine save all night. We passed the ball well with great confidence and belief, the belief in particular was there to see after the second goal went in.

The first was somewhat fortuitous with Aarons cross come shot nestling in the top corner of the goal stanchion. The second half though showed some great football, Ben's pass to Isedyn and a well struck right foot drive made it 2-0 and we continued to grow. The third came from Ben's head after the keeper initially saved from Thompson-Brown. The fourth was brilliant goal. Isedyn held the ball upon superbly, waited for Ben's run and weighted a perfect back heel into the path of Ben to neatly tuck away. Whilst the strikers will no doubt get the headlines I'm sure they'd be the first to acknowledge the brilliant work of the returning Bragoli and work horse Forde who in my opinion had his best performance in a Yeltz shirt bossing the midfield.

The unfamiliar looking 3-5-2 formation was a brave one by the Gaffer, especially returning Tilt to the back line and playing him alongside Hull and Kettle. It worked superbly though allowing the width to come from Green and Griffiths who ran miles up and down the flanks as wing backs. Defensively we looked solid as anything though and as mentioned above Matlock rarely troubled us. I'm not sure the 3-5-2 formation will be used from here on in, and with respect to Matlock I think better teams would play against it better. I liked it though, it gave us still the security of having an extra very solid central defender, it gave us the width still with the wing backs and it gave us three very hard working, solid midfielders who pass the ball well and the two up front who cause havoc with their strength, speed, running and hold up play.

An excellent all round performance from the Yeltz. Well done all.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 04 Nov 2014, 23:57

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 05 Nov 2014, 09:15

A great result.
We seem to play some quality football away from home - it wouldn't be down to better playing surfaces, woud it?
Just a thought. :-\

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 05 Nov 2014, 10:32

Better playing surface is possibly one of the reasons, but I think it's also to do with the width of some of these pitches (difficult to play 3-5-2 at The Grove as it's so tight). And also teams play on the break when they're away (so we struggle to break down teams as easily at home). Worth sticking with last night's formation and possibly starting 11. Haseley and Christie linked up superbly all night, Bragoli had by an absolute mile his best game for us IMO. Turner got stuck in and rarely wasted the ball, and won a load of headers. And as has also been mentioned, Forde ran his socks off that much that he needed to be subbed before he walked off the pitch only two feet tall (and with a bosted hamstring!). Difficult to fault anything last night (and Matlock were a load better in the first half than when we beat them there in October). Griffiths is suited to 3-5-2 and Green, well I've ran out of superlatives for him, he's immense. I imagine you could play him just about anywhere and he'd have a MOTM performance.

Up the Ramsbottom on Saturday ( :) ) and they seem to have gone all out attack so far this season (only 2 draws and they've scored 39 and conceded 31). Let's hope their style of play suits us at home. The only concern is if we don't score first, but if we put in a shift like last night, I don't care what the result is!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 05 Nov 2014, 10:34

Some nice goals and pleasing to have returned to 2 up front. Great win.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 05 Nov 2014, 10:40

The Matlock view from their forum - http://matlocktownfc.createforumhosting ... t5982.html
Re: Matlock Town Vs Halesowen Town - FAT1QR Replay - 4/11/14

Totally out played in every department. One of those nights really & quite a lot of our players far from their best on this occasion :o
I actually thought we would have done well tonight, but not at the races is an understatement.

Their no. 6 Curtis Stilts was my MOM, he absolutely dominated their defence!

Could have gained some really needed coffers if we`d had won.
Bring on the league leaders Sat & I think we will see a different performance, I`m sure.
"Curtis Stilts" - very good. :D

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 05 Nov 2014, 11:04

This should definitely lead to Curtis being known as, "Stilts" from now on. Better than my initial attempt at a nickname for him of, "Pinball Wizard".

Although I suspect that both efforts will be about as successful as my campaign in the mid '90s to get Richard Massey known as, "The Thin White Duke".

:(