Witton Albion Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Witton Albion Updates

Post by andy » 29 Oct 2014, 14:55

I don't think I am negative. I pick up on all the good aspects, love it when we win and am full of praise for the hard work put in. There is a massive difference though in building things up into something that it clearly isn't and then slating others that don't agree.

saddlersandyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by saddlersandyeltz » 29 Oct 2014, 15:52

I feel that there is an element of truth in the contributions of both 'camps' -

Without doubt over the last 30 years we have had more quality in the team. I too remember fondly the time when we played at a level one below the Conference proper - and was at the last game of the season at Newport where we still had a mathematical chance of going up I seem to remember.

Yes there have been times, especially at the start of the season, when we have been outplayed. But these players are all (well mostly) very young and are still acclimatising to a higher level which in my opinion anyway is a much higher standard than the tier below - and also the Southern Premier. They will get better with each game they play.

Lets not forget how dire things were just a few years ago. As others have said in the past its a relief to have a solvent, sustainable club run by genuine, committed local people to support again. We might be struggling a bit at times but this is a team and a club with a bright future.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 29 Oct 2014, 16:34

It was good to win and keep a clean sheet when not at our best and important in keeping ahead of the clubs near the bottom.

Witton may not have played like a team on a bad run, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do finish in the bottom 4 as any team that loses 11 in a row during a season is going to have its work cut out. It cannot simply be a question of a good team having bad luck every game.

Just my opinion, but I think there is a tendency to big up the opposition and overplay the ‘step up’ and therefore believe that all sides are necessarily stronger. Of course the level is a bit higher, but in the 6 previous seasons since divisional reorganisation, I think only Durham have been relegated straight back down after promotion to the Northern Premier, and they were beset by financial difficulties. In fact promoted teams often fare quite well after promotion to each of the Northern, Southern and isthmian premier levels.

I know we yo-yoed in the Southern at the start of the millennium and Belper have struggled so far this season, but Curzon Ashton and Ramsbottom are in the top 4 after promotion and I am not aware of any huge budgets involved there.

BBNOW100
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by BBNOW100 » 29 Oct 2014, 17:19

Saying this ^ though, Curzon have now lost 2 on the trot to not particularly special opposition.

The way I view things;

At the start of the season, we over-expected. I knew as soon as people started suggesting that we could get play-offs and what have you this year was never going to happen, and as for some bookies making us something ridiculous like 3rd favourites to win the league is just plain dreaming.

However, saying this, there is no team in this league we cannot beat. Take Skelmersdale, run aways at the top, we drew 1-1 with them.

I don't think anybody is questioning the determination and passion our players play with, and anybody who does doubt it is simply blind. Even from behind a camera, it's clear to see how much these players care. And as for their never give up attitude, I haven't seen a team this season with such a good attitude to the way they play.

What people are questioning is tactics, and yesterday proved that 4-4-2 doesn't work with this team. This is why John has put this 4-5-1 in place, to get the ball moving and linking up to the striker better. And simple fact is, it works! We are outnumbering other teams' midfield and getting the ball through to whoever is up front, be it Ben or Iysden.

If we finish the season where we are now (16th), I will be happy. I'm not expecting miracles from this team, it would be wrong for me or anyone else to do so. As long as we're not facing a relegation battle at the end of the season, as I view it, that's job well done for everyone at the club.
#YeltzTV

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 29 Oct 2014, 21:03

andy wrote:FFS, this is just getting stupid. Yes, i too am chuffed with the win, a great 3 points. But lets get real now. We were basically outplayed for most of the game and Sarge was terrific. With better finishing and more bodies hitting the box for their crosses across the face of goal, it could have been six. We too had chances but they were more good individual efforts than clear cut chances.
All the 'i get behind John and the lads, so i'm great' talk is just getting tiresome. Yes, they try hard and some of the football is very good, but believe me over the last 30 years the current side ranks average at best. We have played at a level one below the Conference proper, and finished 2nd, and we were not exactly awash with money then either. Even though John is a 'tactical genius', the players are 'demi gods' and the support is akin to Galataseray, a lot think not, and there are now quite a few people who will not post on here now for fear of being rubbished.
PS I'm not one of them. Get real.

I think the big issue here is that us 'new' supporters see things very different to some fans who have being watching Halesowen for many a year. I'm not suggesting for a minute that one way is better than another but for us 'newbies' we very much see being vocal at games as part of the course as is interacting on social media and getting involved in the working parties.

The fact we've all been following professional clubs and made the change in recent years to Halesowen means that we feel closer to the action, the people involved and therefore the sense of belonging is greater. The fans who've been coming many years are equally as important to the football club of course and I've mentioned before how I've loved listening to the stories of old and to help the football club move forwards it's important to understand it's history - the good and the bad. That said, I do find it a little frustrating that some of the 'old guard' do look upon the newbies as an annoyance with our flags, vocal encouragement and positivity. I may well be reading that completely wrong, but that is my perception. The history of our club is important, but nobody can change what has already happened, we can however have an influence about what happens now and in the future. We can't compare the teams of ten, twenty, thirty years ago (some weren't even born then) so all we can do is comment on what we see now and the short time we've been going. For Halesowen Town to move forwards it's important to listen to the old heads, but also a have the youngsters coming through. If we had a team full of Macca's, Isedyn's and Asa's we not see the Joe Hull's and Kristian Greens coming through. It has to be like that off the pitch as well as on it.

What is so wrong about being positive and encouraging the team and players anyway? If making a positive comment on here about a player makes them feel good when they read it, then surely that will help them do better in the future, just like how our songs and encouragement help the players on the pitch?

I think any kind of clique is unhealthy for the football club after all, we supposedly all want the same thing and that is what is best for the club. We're all entitled to our opinions. It hurts to read that people do not feel as though they want to contribute to this forum. In my opinion if criticism is constructive then it can be a good thing.

As I say, some fans see their involvement as being from 2:45pm every other Saturday when they rock up at the Grove for 90+ minutes, others don't. Both have their place at Halesowen and hopefully in time we can become a little more United.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

gingeryeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by gingeryeltz » 30 Oct 2014, 07:16

AVFCYELTZ wrote:
andy wrote:FFS, this is just getting stupid. Yes, i too am chuffed with the win, a great 3 points. But lets get real now. We were basically outplayed for most of the game and Sarge was terrific. With better finishing and more bodies hitting the box for their crosses across the face of goal, it could have been six. We too had chances but they were more good individual efforts than clear cut chances.
All the 'i get behind John and the lads, so i'm great' talk is just getting tiresome. Yes, they try hard and some of the football is very good, but believe me over the last 30 years the current side ranks average at best. We have played at a level one below the Conference proper, and finished 2nd, and we were not exactly awash with money then either. Even though John is a 'tactical genius', the players are 'demi gods' and the support is akin to Galataseray, a lot think not, and there are now quite a few people who will not post on here now for fear of being rubbished.
PS I'm not one of them. Get real.

I think the big issue here is that us 'new' supporters see things very different to some fans who have being watching Halesowen for many a year. I'm not suggesting for a minute that one way is better than another but for us 'newbies' we very much see being vocal at games as part of the course as is interacting on social media and getting involved in the working parties.

The fact we've all been following professional clubs and made the change in recent years to Halesowen means that we feel closer to the action, the people involved and therefore the sense of belonging is greater. The fans who've been coming many years are equally as important to the football club of course and I've mentioned before how I've loved listening to the stories of old and to help the football club move forwards it's important to understand it's history - the good and the bad. That said, I do find it a little frustrating that some of the 'old guard' do look upon the newbies as an annoyance with our flags, vocal encouragement and positivity. I may well be reading that completely wrong, but that is my perception. The history of our club is important, but nobody can change what has already happened, we can however have an influence about what happens now and in the future. We can't compare the teams of ten, twenty, thirty years ago (some weren't even born then) so all we can do is comment on what we see now and the short time we've been going. For Halesowen Town to move forwards it's important to listen to the old heads, but also a have the youngsters coming through. If we had a team full of Macca's, Isedyn's and Asa's we not see the Joe Hull's and Kristian Greens coming through. It has to be like that off the pitch as well as on it.

What is so wrong about being positive and encouraging the team and players anyway? If making a positive comment on here about a player makes them feel good when they read it, then surely that will help them do better in the future, just like how our songs and encouragement help the players on the pitch?

I think any kind of clique is unhealthy for the football club after all, we supposedly all want the same thing and that is what is best for the club. We're all entitled to our opinions. It hurts to read that people do not feel as though they want to contribute to this forum. In my opinion if criticism is constructive then it can be a good thing.

As I say, some fans see their involvement as being from 2:45pm every other Saturday when they rock up at the Grove for 90+ minutes, others don't. Both have their place at Halesowen and hopefully in time we can become a little more United.
A really good sensible and diplomatic post Rob.
I rarely post now because of the issues mentioned above as simply now I cannot be bothered.
As stated it seems some people are not allowed an opinion - is this not a forum?
I cannot help feel that their is a sense of jealousy with the 'old guard' and what the newbies are bringing to the club - why cannot all of the supporters pull in the same direction?

Just keep on doing what you are doing for the club Rob as your efforts are appreciated by most - don't let them grind you down! (maybe you could use some help? ;) )

From a newbie still after over 10 years

Steve Glass
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Steve Glass » 30 Oct 2014, 09:44

Yes it is a bit disappointing how some of the threads have been developing and upsetting people, including the manager and players lately. Surely the perhaps unwritten rule is to not take ourselves too seriously. Football is about opinions and that's why these forums can be useful and fun. As paying fans we are all equal so please remember the old Dame Edna philosophy that 'if you can't laugh at yourself, you might be missing the joke of the century'.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Oct 2014, 11:43

Rob, I agree with virtually your whole post. As regards the singing and flags etc, there is no difference between then and now (believe me we had a catalogue of the daftest songs you've ever heard). Fancy dress away days were plentiful and good fun was had. I cant believe anybody has any ill feeling towards the current crop of noise or colour. The only people that seem to bring up a 'them' and 'us' are the newer guys. My only problem with any of the posts other than this is the total overreaction to anything that doesn't follow the party line. Encouragement is brilliant, but fluffy, not wanting to rock the boat, vomit inducing stuff is bound to get a reaction from others. Unfortunately those others are liable to be the older ones with a lot more to compare it to at this level of football. My expectations are actually no higher than yours and I am happy with our progress, but I certainly don't see what others appear to. Nor do others, but they are not necessarily unhappy either. I just feel encouragement should be tempered with a bit of reality. It can get a bit sickly reading some of the posts. Anyhoos, onwards and upwards and see you Saturday.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 30 Oct 2014, 12:10

Peace in our time, methinks. 8)

saddlersandyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by saddlersandyeltz » 30 Oct 2014, 12:26

As someone who has been watching the Yeltz for 20 years or so - on a part time basis as a Walsall fan for many of those but more regularly in the last couple of years - I don't really qualify for either the 'newbie' or 'longstanding' categories. Here are my observations for what they are worth.

When I started coming I was pleasantly surprised by the decent crowds for the level the club was playing at (600 odd in the old Southern Premier, pushing 1,000 for the odd big game) the friendliness and pride of the supporters and volunteers, the flags and songs (witty and original), entertaining, end to end football with plenty of goals, players who cared about the club and would run through brick walls for it.

But after a few years of more of the same things went pear shaped for various reasons. I stopped coming altogether for a while as the Grove was no longer the place I remembered. I wondered if it would ever be again.

But then with a truly monumental effort the current owners, manager and coaches, players and volunteers and fans through the Yeltz Trust have grabbed things by the scuff of the neck and hauled the club back up to where it was once more. All those things that tempted me to the Grove 20 years ago are coming back.

It's brilliant to see an influx of enthusiastic, committed new fans like AVFC and Raiden, Ben10 terrorising defences, a refurbished Shed and even a bar that sells Enville Ale.

Things aren't perfect and we are going to lose a few games and see one or two below par performances - but it was always thus. Quite honestly I can't see what there is to fall out over.