Workington Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
dazzlingdazza
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Workington Updates

Post by dazzlingdazza » 06 Sep 2014, 21:29

I wasn't at today's game and unfortunately won't be at Rushall Tuesday.

This season was always going to be about consolidation, at present we are like a boxer moving up the weights feeling out his opponent in the opening exchanges, it will take time, we have not been outclassed in any of the games so far I have seen, it might only take a little bit of luck, a moment of brilliance (e.g Tonksy's screamer against Loughborough last season) for our confidence to be restored and our season to take off. The lads are giving everything there is no questioning that.

A sneaky 1-0 win at Rushall followed by a nice home win against middle table Nantwich the Tuesday after will propel us from our meagre position to above mid table. Keep the faith people and give the team a few more games we will be ok.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 06 Sep 2014, 23:14

We always knew this season was going to be tough, and today again was no exception. I've seen every game so far this season and there really doesn't seem to be a great deal between any side. As good as Witton were on Tuesday they beat us by 'only' two goals and for an hour we were well in the game. Today again, we came up against another really well organised side who defended well all game.

We're coming up against better, more experienced sides at this level and our boys are learning more and more every week. They know themselves how hard it us, and if I'm honest I think they're trying (if anything) a little too hard at times. Maybe a little more composure wouldn't go amiss? A few people have mentioned that we need to 'stop knocking it long'. Anyone who saw us play pre-season will surely have noticed that we were playing some great football on the floor, but this hasn't happened recently. I think the reason for this is mainly down to the opposition not allowing us to play and the players lacking a little confidence. Opposition teams defend the space better, attack the ball better and deal better with our throw ins. They're also a lot sharper, quicker and fitter than (with respect) teams like Gresley and Market Drayton.

As fans I think we all acknowledge the players and management are doing their best, and giving it their all, we need to stay patient and support the lads as much as we can. John Hill is no fool, he's learning about what it takes too. I doubt the constant Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday games are giving him and his coaches the opportunity to work on systems of play and tactics. Let's just be patient and keep supporting the lads on the pitch.

My one and only criticism of the team today was I thought our dead ball set pieces were poor, and we didn't work their keeper enough from them.

Hopefully many of the folk who went today will come back again and hopefully we'll have a big Yeltz following on Tuesday at Rushall. It would be great if we could all stand together on Tuesday and yell support for the boys for 90 minutes!

Keep the faith, in John Hill I trust.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

beastyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by beastyyeltz » 06 Sep 2014, 23:32

Back to the match, there were some positives to take from this game. In fact, the same positives that we've taken from nearly or all games this season. Not once this season have we been played off the pitch this season, and we've been mostly equal to the teams we've played. Eventually we will improve and beat some of these teams, its all about adapting to the league and eventually it will happen.

I'm still pretty confident that we'll stay up. We haven't deserved to lose some of the games and the refs have been simply shocking. Those who sang 'we always get sh!t refs' in the shed hit the nail on the head. Eventually some luck will fall our way up and we will get ourselves a few wins under our belt.

See you all at Rushall!

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 07 Sep 2014, 08:15

I'll start with the positives first of all. Fantastic turnout today of 768 which was a throwback to the 'good old days' where that sort of attendance was the norm week in week out. The day was organised well with the extra burger/hot dog stall and the bouncy castle for the kids made it a family fun day atmosphere.

As for matters on the pitch, well it wasn't the prettiest of games although as many others have said on here, despite the defeat again we weren't played off the park and we were hit with a sucker punch which was a shame considering Saregeant made a terrific save moments before.

Sadly, we looked as though we weren't going to score if we played all day. And apologies for sounding blunt here but it keeps being said that 'the lads gave their all' and 'can't fault their effort' which you can't deny is the case but sadly sometimes that isn't always enough to win you football matches. I think we're lacking that little bit of quality needed at this level and feel that we're a little bit one dimensional and predictable relying on long balls and Tonksy's long throw ins. I feel that we need to be a bit more diverse and creative as we're playing at a higher level and against better players.

It's a shame that on a day fans turned up in their numbers, some newbies and also some that haven't been down the Grove for a good many years. Sadly on what they witnessed yesterday it may be a while before they return again.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 07 Sep 2014, 09:35

dalevillain wrote:I'll start with the positives first of all. Fantastic turnout today of 768 which was a throwback to the 'good old days' where that sort of attendance was the norm week in week out. The day was organised well with the extra burger/hot dog stall and the bouncy castle for the kids made it a family fun day atmosphere.

As for matters on the pitch, well it wasn't the prettiest of games although as many others have said on here, despite the defeat again we weren't played off the park and we were hit with a sucker punch which was a shame considering Saregeant made a terrific save moments before.

Sadly, we looked as though we weren't going to score if we played all day. And apologies for sounding blunt here but it keeps being said that 'the lads gave their all' and 'can't fault their effort' which you can't deny is the case but sadly sometimes that isn't always enough to win you football matches. I think we're lacking that little bit of quality needed at this level and feel that we're a little bit one dimensional and predictable relying on long balls and Tonksy's long throw ins. I feel that we need to be a bit more diverse and creative as we're playing at a higher level and against better players.

It's a shame that on a day fans turned up in their numbers, some newbies and also some that haven't been down the Grove for a good many years. Sadly on what they witnessed yesterday it may be a while before they return again.
I absolutely see where you are coming from here Dale, I think those who've been watching us over the last two seasons or so will see the amount of progress that has been made on and off the pitch, those turning up yesterday after a long while may well feel the way you said. Ideally, we could have done with a good win yesterday to entice folk back again. Hopefully many will have done their research a little and talked to regulars who will have put them straight that we are very much a work in progress. I heard one bloke yesterday say, "They've lost three on the trot now, and have only won one all season - they should get a new manager" Fortunately, (and rarely for me) I bit my tongue...

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 07 Sep 2014, 10:16

AVFCYELTZ wrote:
dalevillain wrote:I'll start with the positives first of all. Fantastic turnout today of 768 which was a throwback to the 'good old days' where that sort of attendance was the norm week in week out. The day was organised well with the extra burger/hot dog stall and the bouncy castle for the kids made it a family fun day atmosphere.

I absolutely see where you are coming from here Dale, I think those who've been watching us over the last two seasons or so will see the amount of progress that has been made on and off the pitch, those turning up yesterday after a long while may well feel the way you said. Ideally, we could have done with a good win yesterday to entice folk back again. Hopefully many will have done their research a little and talked to regulars who will have put them straight that we are very much a work in progress. I heard one bloke yesterday say, "They've lost three on the trot now, and have only won one all season - they should get a new manager" Fortunately, (and rarely for me) I bit my tongue...
Primarily though, it's what happens on the pitch that brings the numbers through the gates. Yesterday as well we were fortunate that although the prices were reduced the weather was good too so a few people might have thought 'nice day, make the most of it.' Maybe wouldn't have been the same if it was chucking it down.

My mate raised a point yesterday, based on what we witnessed yesterday, would people fancy watching that on a cold Tuesday night in December? I think maybe not.

I totally agree that the club has come on leaps and bounds in the past year or so and The Grove is a much happier place these days. Whilst I don't think it's time to panic just yet I do feel improvements need to be made. A couple of bodies in midfield who can offer something different or a change of tactics maybe. But we're certainly heading in the right direction overall.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 07 Sep 2014, 10:56

I don't think we are moving in the right direction. We really mixed and matched our style of play last year yet we seemed to have abandoned that now. I don't really understand why. If some of the players are unable to produce that kind of football at the higher level we should look to replacing them not resorting to kick and hope football. Ironically when we did have a genuine chance to hit players in the box via corners and free kicks we could not get it past the first defender! I appreciate we are not been thrashed at all but if changes are not made i think it could be a long winter.

Colin Bobble
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Colin Bobble » 07 Sep 2014, 11:04

gingeryeltz wrote:
changesnightspot wrote:Like fishing in a barrel pmsl it was a tongue in cheek remark sorry it was a bit complex for you to understand
Talking of tongues in cheeks can we also expect a return of your chum Mr Bobble now? - he has been very quiet since he was exposed a while back.
Really?
The ploughman he's a bonnie lad,
His mind is ever true, jo,
His garters knit below his knee,
His bonnet it is blue, jo.
Then up wi' him my ploughman lad,
And hey my merry ploughman!
Of a' the trades that I do ken,
Commend me to the ploughman.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 07 Sep 2014, 11:30

andy wrote:I don't think we are moving in the right direction. We really mixed and matched our style of play last year yet we seemed to have abandoned that now. I don't really understand why. If some of the players are unable to produce that kind of football at the higher level we should look to replacing them not resorting to kick and hope football. Ironically when we did have a genuine chance to hit players in the box via corners and free kicks we could not get it past the first defender! I appreciate we are not been thrashed at all but if changes are not made i think it could be a long winter.
Better players cost more money, do Halesowen Town have that kind of money? I know a good number of teams with support less than ours in our league are bankrolled by 2/3 people. It will help us massively to have a great FA Cup run. Undefeated Sutton Coldfield on Saturday won't make it easy to progress that's for sure!

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 07 Sep 2014, 11:36

I still feel disappointed in yesterdays result and performance. The performance, especially. I have probably been a little guilty of expecting too much this year. I have a lot of confidence in this group of players and management and thought we could surprise a few people and finish in the top half.

I still think we could go on and surprise people as the season is still very young. There is a lot of football to be played between now and May. But one thing is for certain, we must start to learn. Quick. The 6 games I've seen have followed a very similar pattern. Tight affairs, we failed to take chances, we conceded the silly goal which cost us points.

I do think it's important to remember a lot of these players were playing two levels bellow our current level not so long ago and we are playing teams who have been at this level for a lot longer than us and therefore know what to do get results. Which is what we need to learn.

There have been a number of positives in our first seven games. As others have said we've played our part in very even games which could have gone either way. On the whole, in open play, we look solid enough and the defence looks to be ok (maybe a strange comment to some, as we have been guilty of switching off and conceding sloppy goals).

We've had some very poor referee's and referee decisions which have cost us points and the ball doesn't seem to be bouncing our way. We just don't seem to be getting the rub of the green right now. But these are excuses, we can't look to blame luck or referees, we need to get to grips with what this level requires and learn from previous games.

Whilst it's good that we've been competitive in all games I am very concerned at the lack of chances and more importantly goals that are coming our way.

This was especially the case yesterday. The way we were playing yesterday we were never going to score, we could have still be playing now and we still wouldn't have scored.

I don't see the problem of this in our strikers, I believe the problem is stemming from the fact that there is a lack of creativity in midfield. To not even force the opposition keeper to make a save for the entire game when you're at home is very worrying and dare I say 'not good enough'?

When we did get chances we weren't making the most of them, particularly off set pieces. In the first half we really struggled to beat the first man off corners or free kicks or the delivery was just poor. Even at this level, this is criminal.

I feel there is a lack of tempo to our game at the moment, there seems to be no plan B when teams figure our long ball and long throw in tactics. We need to learn that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

The lack of creativity yesterday was frustrating, especially when I looked at the bench and saw Neil MacKenzie sitting there. I don't understand the reasoning of his exclusion from the line up? If he's injured and there to make up number then apologies. I'm a big fan of Macca, I feel his experience is invaluable to this side as well as a calming player on the ball and someone who can carve out a chance from nothing. I relaise he's not a 90 minute three times a week player, but I'm confused as to the lack of game time this season so far?

I don't want to publicly criticise any player on here, they deserve better than that for all their effort, but there are players who aren't bringing anything into the side atm and I don't understand their inclusion when we have players like Macca who would at least bring creation to the side.

Hopefully if Laity can stay fit and get match sharp along with the inclusion of Macca, as well as someone like Griffiths (best player in pre-season) out wide, this may lead to us creating more chances for our strikers in the forthcoming games. But as you can probably tell now, I believe we need to get more creators in midfield than we started with yesterday.

Once we get creators in midfield I am confident we will see more chances for our strikers which they (Ben) will hopefully take.

I apologise for the above rant, I don't want to come across doom and gloom but I just felt really down about things last night and still do this morning.

Maybe this season will be more of a struggle than I thought. If we learn from the mistakes and rectify the above problems then we have nothing to worry about. I am confident that this will happen sooner than later. We have some good players and a very good manager at this club.

I still maintain hope and believe in this group of players. As long as they continue to give their all and continue to put so much commitment and desire then that is all I ask. I don't, haven't or never will question their work rates. For that, they can not be faulted.

Bring on Rushall! :)