Gresley Updates

Scores, live updates, discussion etc. on Yeltz matches
old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Gresley Updates

Post by old git » 11 Mar 2014, 13:50

RaidenYeltz wrote:
old git wrote:it always amazes me to read the opposition view.
I always thought 'hoofing it' was defined as long punts over the top hoping one might find a target?
I'm not sure how precise passes over the top to our 2 strikers becomes 'hoofing it'.
Did you go last night chap?

Macca, in particular, was playing some sublime passes to the front two/four (if you include wingers).

Of course we're direct, but why shouldn't we be when you have Christie to hold up or Haseley to beat the line.

The only 'hoof' I see from us is when we (rightly) need to clear our lines. I'm a firm believer in (at any level) defenders clearing firstly. Nothing beats the 'if in doubt, hit it out' cliche. Defenders shouldn't think they're some sort of midfield maestro, that's why they're defenders!
I think you have totally misread my post young man ;D

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 14:00

I read it fine, was just asking and agreeing and saying why I agreed.

Tried registering on their forum, fancy sticking up for us as they're being way ott with our style I think.

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 11 Mar 2014, 15:13

RaidenYeltz wrote:I read it fine, was just asking and agreeing and saying why I agreed.

Tried registering on their forum, fancy sticking up for us as they're being way ott with our style I think.
From long experience they are best ignored..they haven't changed in 30 years..at almost all the grounds we have been to this season you can have a chat to the locals ...but not Gresley !!! Any attempt at conversation is met with a growl ::) They are in a 'special' club with Corby, Merthyr and Kings Lynn ;D

RaidenYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RaidenYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 15:54

One chap behind us was a bit of a Neanderthal.

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 18:38

I don't particularly care what people think of our style if I'm honest, especially those who follow another club. Macca summed up Gresley at the forum some time ago, they knocked the ball about lovely at The Grove earlier in the season for 20 minutes until we scored then they capitulated. Last night was very similar. Pretty football is great if there is an end product, but in the two games against us Gresley haven't even looked like scoring and with a little more luck could have notched up double figures against them.
John Hill talked openly about our style some time ago, where he explained that a more expansive way of playing might leave us more vulnerable defensively, he's happy to keep it tight at the back and utilise our strengths when we can. Nobody can argue that we haven't been very well organised this season and have only 2 or 3 times looked suspect defensively. I'm more than happy to trust his and his coaching staff's judgement on how to play with the players they have at their disposal, after all he sees them training and we don't.
Personally, I don't think we play 'hoof ball', at times we've needed more width I feel but with injuries to Lait, Turner, Griffiths and Guyes you can understand why at times we've maybe been a little more workmanlike than expansive. We have pace with Ben, strength with Christie, as good a headerer of the ball in the league with Joe Hull and a great weapon in Tonksy's throw, by not utilising these attributes John Hill would be silly, that said, we've scored some great team goals this season. Any opposition manager thinking all we have is a throw in and hoof, will undoubtably be leaving a game against Halesowen Town pointless as we have more to our game than that.
Maybe we should be singing..,"No one likes us, we don't care".
Last edited by RobYeltz on 11 Mar 2014, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

beastyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by beastyyeltz » 11 Mar 2014, 18:40

Very pleased with last nights win! Our bounce back ability strikes again! Glad we beat Gresley though, as they're not exactly in my good books!

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 11 Mar 2014, 22:14

Bens goal came not from a hoof but a precision pass from Penny in midfield.
Rowe, the match reporter and one gres on forum are looking for excuses for e loss of their home record. They also feel playing on a monday was too soon. We had to play 4 games in 9 days and against the top three teams around us. Get over yourselves Gresley!!!