Russ Penn interview.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Paul Smith "Stands Down" - Russ Penn in.

Post by RobYeltz » 27 Feb 2024, 21:09

Paul has given us some great memories in his time as manager. Halifax and Barnet and the play off win, he's played a huge part in helping the club grow and crowds averaging 1,000 fans per home game. When he came in he made a point of improving links between players and fans and building the club. Off the pitch he has done loads to improve things behind the scenes too. Always been very honest with me when I've spoken with him and I'm glad to see he will have some involvement with the club, although I expect at some point he'll probably be keen to get back into management. I'm glad he has 'stood down' rather than be sacked. I wish him well and thank him for giving us some brilliant memories and foundations to now build upon.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 28 Feb 2024, 09:30

Laurel Lane Lamper wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 13:45
YeltzDoc wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 12:31
As is right, thanks Paul for your great efforts in bringing us back to happy days at The Grove.
And welcome (back) Russ.

272946764_1126517318086745_3538165100005153851_n.jpg
This photo was sent to local radio when Russ was at Wembley with Kiddy
How did they play it on air? ;)

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 28 Feb 2024, 14:11

RobYeltz wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 21:09
Paul has given us some great memories in his time as manager. Halifax and Barnet and the play off win, he's played a huge part in helping the club grow and crowds averaging 1,000 fans per home game. When he came in he made a point of improving links between players and fans and building the club. Off the pitch he has done loads to improve things behind the scenes too. Always been very honest with me when I've spoken with him and I'm glad to see he will have some involvement with the club, although I expect at some point he'll probably be keen to get back into management. I'm glad he has 'stood down' rather than be sacked. I wish him well and thank him for giving us some brilliant memories and foundations to now build upon.

Did exactly the same at Bromsgrove. Massive shame, very big loss and will eventually be someone else very big gain. Most people know my opinion, i hope we dont live to regret this i really do. Saying we belong in the National league is delusional, should we aim for it, most certainly yes, are we capable of it yes, but these things take time, success in very rarely instant and I think a large portion of fans have completely lost the plot when it comes to where their club should be. I rarely come across a supporter of any given number of clubs who doesnt think his club should be higher, should be doing better etc.

Frankly some of the absolute boll!cks I have ready on our social media, official and unofficial (not on here may I add) is basically embarrassing. We are in danger of turning into a general fan base that 'expects' what is unrealistic.

Smudger 'left' with us positioned 10th - look at the prediction thread for this season and see if this is a balanced outcome.

Cheers smudger for some unknown reason some fans out of our regular 1,000 (compared to 250 when you joined) never seemed satified, god knows why not. All the best whereever you end up

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 28 Feb 2024, 15:22

While I broadly agree with the thrust of your post Yeltzbaby, worth pointing out that the resurgence in attendances really began with the Karen and Keith takeover - we averaged 500 the season we went down, and barely dropped below 400 on any occasion.

I do think Paul Smith's position was largely untenable, however. With a decent sized, and moreover vocal, section of the fanbase effectively unwinnable (Anitagate, his supposed arrogance, and his evident stubbornness all being factors), it was never going to take much for the vultures to circle, and thus it was. I wish him well, and at the same time hope Russ Penn is the man to drive us forward. He's been a regular at the Grove for some time when Kiddy haven't been playing, so can't say it surprised me (I did point out he was there on Saturday during the game), especially with rumours about Stourbr*dge about to approach.

We'll see, won't we? Ultimately I don't trust the opinion of supporters with their own gripes and frustrations too much, but I *do* trust Keith, so very much clinging to that!

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 28 Feb 2024, 19:02

I love the way this is being positioned as a witch-hunt. Read the comments on the Royston thread. Read the comments on this thread. Listen to people on the terraces on Saturday. It was time.

Clearly the club hierarchy thought so too - and I seriously doubt they were influenced by anything other than their own eyes and ears.

This is football at the end of the day. Players move on without a second thought. Managers chop and change. So - as tough a decision as this was - it’s OK!

Everyone will move on and the world will keep on turning.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 28 Feb 2024, 19:46

Probably wasn't clear - I just think that when you have lots of fans against you, the reservoir of goodwill runs a little drier. I could have added random Twitter DMs to the list of things that upset people. Nothing I've said wasn't true!

For my part, I'm torn. Might be for the best, might not. Time will tell, but as I said above, I trust Keith to make the right call.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 28 Feb 2024, 20:09

fairweatherfan wrote:
28 Feb 2024, 19:46

For my part, I'm torn. Might be for the best, might not. Time will tell, but as I said above, I trust Keith to make the right call.
Exactly my stance also at the moment

Whats the 'Anitagate'?? must have missed that one :-\

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 28 Feb 2024, 20:20

The scurrilous and probably libelous outburst from Molyneux when he left.
Probably best not to discuss.
#SeshGremlin

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 29 Feb 2024, 12:40

fairweatherfan wrote:

For my part, I'm torn. Might be for the best, might not.
And that's the intruguing part. How much worse would it be for people to have had enough and would it have been too late? Its living on hope it gets better, because it was before. Like being married!!!

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 29 Feb 2024, 12:49

drummyb wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 12:40
fairweatherfan wrote:

For my part, I'm torn. Might be for the best, might not.
And that's the intruguing part. How much worse would it be for people to have had enough and would it have been too late? Its living on hope it gets better, because it was before. Like being married!!!
There's always an element of risk, isn't there? The right decision was made in terms of parting ways. Only time will tell if we made the correct decision with the replacement. I believe so, and I think social media, Twatter, WhatsApp and on here, is fairly unanimous we have.

It was the same with John Hill. It was he correct decision to sack him, in hindsight that should have happened in the summer, but I appreciate Keith and Karen's loyalty. However, appointing the Chuckle Brothers as a replacement was not the right decision, was it!

In both cases, one thing is certain - we couldn't have carried on as we were.