Post by RobYeltz » 23 May 2023, 20:02

MichaelGrove wrote:
23 May 2023, 18:32
old git wrote:
23 May 2023, 18:24
VanessaYeltz wrote:
23 May 2023, 10:47
o
An appearance in the first round proper is my personal aim over the next couple of seasons. That would be more memorable and historic than promotion.

I’d love a televised Friday night home tie against a league 2 side, what an occasion it would be.

With bar sales included I wouldn’t be surprised if the last thre games bought in nearly £100k.
Not wishing to be a killjoy, but we only get 37.5% of the play off games after all expenses, so whilst it was ‘unexpected’ income, the actual dosh was way, way short of the figures quoted on here.
Interesting, again showing my lack of knowledge. Does a percentage of the gate go to the opposition too, like FA cup games ?
My understanding is that each club get 37.5% each and I can't remember if it was the league or the FA get the rest - for doing chaff all.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Expectation & Sustainability

Post by piearce9 » 23 May 2023, 20:09

Not always been the case though. We played Maidstone in the cup about 15 years ago and, well, er….

….the money was just resting in our account

RobYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by RobYeltz » 23 May 2023, 20:12

For the past few seasons we've been told that we've got a good number of our squad that are comfortable Step 3 players, so therefore I expect us to more than hold our own this coming season. I don't expect us to be anywhere near the bottom places, but also don't expect to see us to be sat in the top few places. With a little good fortune, and a squad free of injuries I see no reason why we shouldn't be solid mid-table pushing towards play offs. Maybe even making a late play off run.
We have a great deal of momentum at the moment, announcing some quality new signings this early will hopefully sell a few more season tickets. Fingers crossed we can get a few nice pre season games lined up, a well balanced squad ready to start the season and a good cup run in the FA Cup to generate some pennies. I trust that our owners will be ambitious - but realistic. With so many local games our crowds will be good, we can continue to build, the speed in which we progress I guess is determined by the points we can gain.
Proud owner of THREE 'Georges'

The artist previously known as AVFCYELTZ

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 23 May 2023, 20:29

I don’t know about anyone else but I’m completely relaxed about this coming season. The league lineup is brilliant - loads of big local games and it’s great to (finally) be back amongst this company.

There is the impression from some that we are a bit self-entitled as a fan base, given we finished second last season but were grumbling. But that was really linked to frustration (and desperation) to get out of Step 4.

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 23 May 2023, 21:18

This is a really interesting discussion, and suspect I'm far more bullish than most, but it strikes me that we're putting together a squad capable of doing more than decent things in the league above. With all due respect to Mr Insall (I know he reads this, and despite the veil of anonymity, I don't want him to kill me), I don't see how Miracle isn't a big upgrade (young and hungry), while the addition of Wynter will surely make the defence more stingy.

Many a pre-season dream has gone down the drain, so trying not to get carried away (and lest we forget, Ilkeston expected to piss it) but I think we could be pleasantly surprised with how this season goes...

MichaelGrove
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by MichaelGrove » 23 May 2023, 21:51

Talking of Insall, I noticed on his Instagram today that he was at Evesham United today. Hope he sorts a new club soon, as with all the released players.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 23 May 2023, 22:28

I think our crowds ought to be comfortably averaging over 1,000, and that's without being complacent.

There are actually more local sides within a small distance and time radius and also away teams will generally bring more fans.

I know that support doesn't guarantee success at any level, but it does make a difference at this level, and if Leiston, on crowds of about 300, can be pitching up at the top all season, then there is no reason why we should not be aiming high next season.

The idea of consolidating and progressing gradually and in a sustainable way is fine, but at this level there is never a guarantee that progression will follow year on year, so make the most of impetus and momentum while you can.

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 24 May 2023, 09:37

Just to reiterate, honestly the general overall jump from step 4 for us to step 3 will not be anywhere near a bigger gap than some are thinking. 5 to 10 years ago maybe but not now, not based on last 2ish seasons. No disrespect (lol) but some sides at level 3 are really bad (last season). The overall standard is/was average and the bottom 6/7 clubs were quite frankly an embarrassment to the supposed standard.

Now level 3 to level 2 - blimey thats almost a whole new ball game!!!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 24 May 2023, 16:26

F*ck all this cobblers. We're on a roll.
We're gonna piss this league ;D
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 24 May 2023, 16:31

andy wrote:
24 May 2023, 16:26
F*ck all this cobblers. We're on a roll.
We're gonna piss this league ;D
Hold on there Andy, it’s only May. A case of premature micturation?