Re: Nicholls & Sockett gone

Post by drummyb » 21 Mar 2023, 10:44

Josh1873 wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 10:12
GaryJ wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 09:54
drummyb wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:02

Well Withymoor Colts were at the Ground on Saturday ;)
I guess you would reply with that! Would be good to have a squad that hasn't got an average age of 30 and more like an average age of 25 and who look fitter than the current squad. Also a better style of football instead of hoof ball.
I agree that fitness is seemingly an issue given how often the opposition players work harder and fight harder than us, but age has nothing to do with this, surely?

A 30-something year old can be fitter than a 20-something year old if they're given an adequate training plan (i.e have our players been trained adequately, fitness wise, this season? Or is it an attitude/mental problem?). Biggest example - James Milner.
The squad is the squad we have and cant now change. The 30 somethings did ok at the start of the season and I see no reason why they wont give it a go. As for the kids, the younger players we had/have didnt set the world on fire. This is a short term fix. No manager of any team that going great guns is going to leave that team to manage a team that he doesnt know the players or can replace them.

You dont want Smith, GaryJ and thats your opinion. For the few games we have left, Im going to support MY team and hope that he gives us a bit of a push.

The blokes managerial record here and elsewhere speaks for itself.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Nicholls & Sockett Gone - Smith Returns

Post by piearce9 » 21 Mar 2023, 11:54

I have to say I'm very surprised that the decision was taken at this point, and also that so many people have been in support of it. It was a big call from K&K though and having PS come back in gives everyone a bit of a drive to take into these last few games.

I was disappointed to see the lack of effort from the players on Saturday. Some looked like they had thrown the towel in, for whatever reason, and so I do hope that the first task on the new manager's list is to remotivate the squad.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 21 Mar 2023, 12:00

There is no reason at all Paul can't come in and do exactly what he did the first time. It was the best football we had seen in well over 20 years, it just went stale. New start now. Absolutely nothing to lose.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 21 Mar 2023, 12:20

Andy, I'll reserve my judgement , but as well as he did before, he never won anything.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 21 Mar 2023, 13:35

KenR wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 12:20
Andy, I'll reserve my judgement , but as well as he did before, he never won anything.
True, but equally he's only had one full season to win anything and Mr McCone stuffed that up for him. And you and I both know that first curtailed season was as good as we have seen in many a long time. I understand your reservations but I honestly see Paul as the only possibility of saving our season from ruin.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 21 Mar 2023, 14:52

Have we ever had a manger leave and come back in the same season before? I'm guessing not. How about returning managers. How many, when and what were their records in both stints.

I just want to keep the wonderful statsmen/women busy! ;D

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 21 Mar 2023, 16:03

andy wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 13:35
KenR wrote:
True, but equally he's only had one full season to win anything and Mr McCone stuffed that up for him. And you and I both know that first curtailed season was as good as we have seen in many a long time. I understand your reservations but I honestly see Paul as the only possibility of saving our season from ruin.
Thats true, although as Josh pointed out, there were some duff performances also. I think its a good, decent appointment for the short time we have left and then reassess after that.

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 21 Mar 2023, 16:09

drummyb wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 16:03
andy wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 13:35
KenR wrote:
Thats true, although as Josh pointed out, there were some duff performances also. I think its a good, decent appointment for the short time we have left and then reassess after that.
The recent 'form' and poor results we have been on began under Paul's management. Whilst I was happy with the appointment of Craig and Socket (as most fans were at the time) they have been guilty in not changing a thing and keeping the status quo, and those performances continued, and if anything regressed.

Now, we all know the reason as to why Paul stepped down, and he looked a beaten man in his interviews - he clearly needed to step away and take time out. To admit that himself and act upon that shows integrity.

Anyway, I've said too much about the end of his time here. I firmly believe (maybe more hope than believe!) that the rest will have done him the world of good, and we will see a more driven and committed Paul and we'll see performances nearer the FA Trophy run than the run before his departure.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 21 Mar 2023, 17:34

Assistant Manager appointed
HALESOWEN TOWN FOOTBALL CLUB are delighted to announce the appointment of Ross Thorpe as Paul Smith's Assistant Manager until the end of the season.
The ex Alvechurch and Sutton Coldfield Town Manager also holds a UEFA A coaching badge and has worked in the National League with Chester, and Head of Coaching at Cheltenham Town.
Welcome to the Yeltz Ross.
Up The Yeltz

https://www.ht-fc.co.uk/club-news
Assistant manager appointed.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Nicholls & Sockett gone

Post by Rich » 21 Mar 2023, 18:32

GaryJ wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 09:54
drummyb wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 20:02
Rich wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 18:37

I guess you want a Manager who will pick all the kids??
Well Withymoor Colts were at the Ground on Saturday ;)
I guess you would reply with that! Would be good to have a squad that hasn't got an average age of 30 and more like an average age of 25 and who look fitter than the current squad. Also a better style of football instead of hoof ball.
I would have no idea on the age of any of our players yet alone give an average age for the squad.

I would say though lsay though that was it at the end of last season we were complaining the team were getting bullied and out muscled in games. This was certainly an area the Gaffer addressed with his signings. This does mean though experienced players are needed.
Now the thought is they are too old!!
Damned if you do and damned if you dont.
guess we need the happy medium?