Soft southern fairies

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Soft southern fairies

Post by fairweatherfan » 07 Feb 2023, 08:27

Sure there will be someone far more learned than me that knows the answer to this, but was just wondering about how the distribution of teams in the pyramid works?

At first glance there seems to be a distinct south eastern bias (and that can't possibly be the case - I heard the old PM say words like alas, levelling up, quixotic, mugglewump etc.) with the North and Midlands less well represented. At step 3 the Isthmian league does London, and then there is also a Southern League South, with a Southern League Midlands (containing such famous northern settlements like Bedford).

At step 4 it seems even worse.

Is this all in my head? Is it just because there are more southern teams? How do the powers that be ensure equity in terms of quality across leagues at the same level? Do they even do that?

I suspect this is something that is exercising me and only me, but thought I'd chuck it out there in the hope someone else might have the vaguest idea.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Soft southern fairies

Post by YeltzDoc » 07 Feb 2023, 10:34

This is the hoariest of old chestnuts.

The allocation to leagues, especially for Midlands sides, is always, shall we say, contentious.

It's better now than it was, with the new Step 3 Midlands league solving a lot of problems, but there will always be a line to be drawn and someone who's pissed off about it.
If you look at our history, we've been in the same league as Workington, Blyth, Dover and Truro, which seems relatively geographically diverse.
The odd howler generally gets appealed against - nobody wants to be in the same league as King's Lynn, although that may not be for topographical reasons...
And then there's the personal choice of the clubs, which is taken into account to some extent. A couple of seasons ago Cambridge and Histon wanted to be in different leagues, despite playing at the same stadium. Perhaps the dividing line went through the middle of the bath? Like those pubs in Oswestry where the Lounge had different opening times to the Bar?
There's a general feeling at our place, and perhaps others, that the Northern League is run better, or more efficiently, than the Southern League, I'm sure John Cooper and OG will have learned opinions on this.

There's a bloke (I'm guessing that it's a man, but come on....) who starts a predicted league spreadsheet each year in about September. And amazingly it's not HH. I don't have a link but someone will. He's generally about right.

And finally, of course, there's the most unpredictable of all footballing competitions, The AGM Cup, wherein the leagues all sit down listen to pleas to be relegated, reprieved, reincarnated etc from their member clubs, based upon deducted points, ineligible players and the quality of the claret in the boardroom.

But, generally by the start of May there's some white smoke and we find out whether it's Gretna or Gravesend, South Shields or Southampton, Penzance or penury.

Understood?

Yes, me neither.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 07 Feb 2023, 12:05

YeltzDoc wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 10:34

There's a bloke (I'm guessing that it's a man, but come on....) who starts a predicted league spreadsheet each year in about September. And amazingly it's not HH. I don't have a link but someone will. He's generally about right.
I am. Oh you mean the bloke............ anyway, here:- https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/foru ... 2024.9116/ ;D

And the projection one is here:- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... d=44886947 it changes pretty regularly, depends if the person doing it is as busy as me.............

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 09 Feb 2023, 08:32

It’s also a bit of a peculiarity that, if we get promoted back to a Step 3, we gain a lot more local games. And might also get some away fans at The Grove again. ;D

Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Yeltzbaby » 09 Feb 2023, 09:34

Yer there are about 10 sides currently in Southern league premier central league within 30 ish mins drive and several more under an hour away. Happy days

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 09 Feb 2023, 12:56

If we do go up, we would definitely move to Southern league again. This is much better geographically than staying in the NPL, irrespective of the merits of each league set up. I would imagine there are much fewer differences in set-up as teams often switch between the 3 organisations.

Inevitably the pyramid looks more weighted to the south rather than the north, but it just falls in line with population distribution and density in the UK.

Apart from cities and conurbations, there are obviously more people to the south east. London alone has a very large number of league and non-league teams. There are not many capital cities with such a large number, but it reflects the size of population.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 09 Feb 2023, 13:33

YeltzDoc wrote:
07 Feb 2023, 10:34

If you look at our history, we've been in the same league as Workington, Blyth, Dover and Truro, which seems relatively geographically diverse.
That really is quite an amazing stat isn't it for a team that's only ever played in regionalised leagues. Throw in Kings Lynn or Dereham and Newport or Barry then we really have covered all the bases! And I feel we are all the richer for it, I've really enjoyed going to such far flung places in the past. It feels more of a trial now though I must admit. Even Sutton feels a long way. ::)
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 09 Feb 2023, 16:20

A couple of seasons ago Cambridge and Histon wanted to be in different leagues, despite playing at the same stadium. Perhaps the dividing line went through the middle of the bath? Like those pubs in Oswestry where the Lounge had different opening times to the Bar? /
I think the bone of contention with Cambridge/Histon was where their players were travelling from. One (I think it was Cambridge) wanted to travel south to the Isthmian because that fitted with where their players lived, but at the same time Histon players were drawn from elsewhere. To be fair, anyone that has needed to battle with the traffic in Cambridge or surrounding areas would sympathise

I have accidently worked out out how Westy gets blue box fever!!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 09 Feb 2023, 18:03

Noggin wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 16:20
A couple of seasons ago Cambridge and Histon wanted to be in different leagues, despite playing at the same stadium. Perhaps the dividing line went through the middle of the bath? Like those pubs in Oswestry where the Lounge had different opening times to the Bar? /
I think the bone of contention with Cambridge/Histon was where their players were travelling from. One (I think it was Cambridge) wanted to travel south to the Isthmian because that fitted with where their players lived, but at the same time Histon players were drawn from elsewhere. To be fair, anyone that has needed to battle with the traffic in Cambridge or surrounding areas would sympathise

I have accidently worked out out how Westy gets blue box fever!!
😂

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 09 Feb 2023, 18:04

andy wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 18:03
Noggin wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 16:20

😂
Now I can't get out either.