On or Off.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

On or Off.

Post by KenR » 23 Jan 2023, 12:16

After reading all the comments regarding Saturdays postponement, and watching Sky Sports Ref watch , when Dermot Gallagher was commenting on postponement of matches and alluded to Saturday's league cancellations in which several clubs were unhappy with the decisions. He was asked if he had ever been put under pressure to either call a match off or pronounce one on. It so reminded me of the time when Dermot reffed us. My memory may have faded somewhat , but as I recall it was in the first season of playing in the southern league when we had the pitch levelled but had not installed drainage. We had had a few matches postponed owing to waterlogging. but had a re-arranged home match on a Tuesday night. The pitch was like a quagmire, presumably through training on it. Early afternoon, and I was shovelling sand on the worst areas which were more than ankle deep of mud.
Then the ref turned up and it was Dermot. He introduced himself, which was unnecessary as he fame as a poor official preceded him. He was okay with me so I said in passing , that we had suffered from postponements lately and financially , we needed the game on. He inspected the pitch and came back to me to inform me that quote " I think we will give it a go " So we did , I cannot remember who we played, but there was no way the the game should have gone ahead, but luckily no one was injured, but the ball did stick in the mud a few times.
Good old Dermot.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: On or Off.

Post by andy » 23 Jan 2023, 13:10

Did you threaten to sing to him? ;D
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 23 Jan 2023, 14:53

I'm thinking of awarding him a belated George. Dermot, that is ;)

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 23 Jan 2023, 18:12

Brummie and Westy, I shall just treat you both with comtempt.