Non league attendances

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
Yeltzbaby
Yeltz Forum Member

Non league attendances

Post by Yeltzbaby » 18 Jan 2023, 02:43

In general non league attendances are arguably at their highest level ever.

Granted helped by what is now a large amount of ex football league clubs, but on top of that 57 clubs now average over 1000 for league games, an excellent achievement.

I think its helped by a number of things, including- fans being priced out of going to the pro game, fans being turned off by the baggage that comes with the pro game too, non league clubs doing more than they ever have to connect with their local communities and also clubs being more savvy then ever in terms of their social media coverage/filming games at non league level.

Whatever the reason long may it continue, non league football is alive and kicking

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Non league attendances

Post by andy » 18 Jan 2023, 10:25

57 over a thousand, that's some stat. A lot of people are giving up on the pro game for sure. Yet quite how attendances like ours have doubled and trebled in a relatively short time is baffling. Even back in the mid nineties when we had arguably our best side ever, playing at the top of the SECOND level we did not maintain crowds of this magnitude. Let's hope it stays at this level, though experience shows a downturn of form sure brings out the fickleness in a lot of folk. ;D
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 18 Jan 2023, 11:31

I'm also (happily) confused.

Add in the fact that professional attendances AREN'T down - stats here - and it's even more layered.

I studied both sociology and epidemiology a long time ago, and gave little attention to either. Perhaps if I'd have stopped dipping the girl in front of me's pigtails in the inkwell, I might have more insight.

Maybe people are just glad to have the chance to get out of the house post-Covid?

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 18 Jan 2023, 11:39

We're miles clear of almost all at Step 4, apart from Robbie Savage's Silkmen, who're an anomaly with 3.5k+

But, a spotter's badge to anyone who can name the only three Step 3 sides with higher attendances than us.

Two pretty obvious, one surprising.

No Googling!

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 18 Jan 2023, 11:44

YeltzDoc wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 11:39
We're miles clear of almost all at Step 4, apart from Robbie Savage's Silkmen, who're an anomaly with 3.5k+

But, a spotter's badge to anyone who can name the only three Step 3 sides with higher attendances than us.

Two pretty obvious, one surprising.

No Googling!
Marine ? South Shields and perhaps FC united ?

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 18 Jan 2023, 11:52

Spot on OG.

FCM obvs, although they've found their level it seems.
And South Shields, are on an "us in the '80s" type run, although much more bankrolled than we ever were.

But what's the sketch with Marine? Mid-table, never had many when we went there. Why the uplift?

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 18 Jan 2023, 13:00

Also our average attendance is higher that 16 teams in the National League South and 12 teams in the National League North.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 18 Jan 2023, 13:01

YeltzDoc wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 11:52
But what's the sketch with Marine? Mid-table, never had many when we went there. Why the uplift?
Tottenham at home in the cup probably did it!

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 18 Jan 2023, 13:10

YeltzDoc wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 11:52
Spot on OG.

FCM obvs, although they've found their level it seems.
And South Shields, are on an "us in the '80s" type run, although much more bankrolled than we ever were.

Since the Spurs FACup they have had remarkable crowds. I’m told that most who go now are Liverpool/Everton exiles who are priced out and like us they come once and realise what they have been missing all those years paying through the nose to watch overpaid prima donnas

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 18 Jan 2023, 13:17

YeltzDoc wrote:
18 Jan 2023, 11:31
I'm also (happily) confused.

Add in the fact that professional attendances AREN'T down - stats here - and it's even more layered.
I noticed that overall attendances in the league weren't down but if you look at away fans numbers they are way down for a lot of clubs. Maybe we are benefitting when local clubs are away slightly but certainly not the 7 or 800 we have gained. Maybe Merry Hill has got too expensive.😂
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0