A view from the terraces.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

A view from the terraces.

Post by lutleyyeltz » 09 Jan 2023, 13:05

I’ve said it before but I really miss wingers going on the outside, dribbling past their full back and putting the ball into a good area for a forward. I’d suspect there’s a few strikers out there that would agree wholeheartedly.
Some years ago we had Alex Cowley on the right wing and Simon Forsdick on the left.
That was their game plan - and it was effective and exciting to watch.
It's a simple game.
Maybe we should try that again instead of the modern tactics of "possession, possession, possession. "
Passes sideways and back are boring to watch and tactically allow the opposition time to organise ready for the speculative ball over the top.
I'm no football tactician but the more direct approach always seemed to yield more results than the modern slow build up.
Just a thought.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: A view from the terraces.

Post by andy » 09 Jan 2023, 18:16

The Joinsons would definitely concur!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 09 Jan 2023, 18:27

Lutters, southgates boring England tactics have a lot to answer for.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 09 Jan 2023, 19:12

Ian Brown played for the Town, was another winger, crossing for Evran and his big black bushy brow :)

The Reasonable Man
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by The Reasonable Man » 09 Jan 2023, 19:21

Nottingham Forest won the First Division and two European Cups with a game plan that was basically "Get the ball to John Robertson". Bloke had no pace at all, but could beat his full back in a space no bigger than a phone box and then cross the ball with unequalled precision. A genius.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 10 Jan 2023, 10:06

Westyeltz wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 19:12
Ian Brown played for the Town, was another winger, crossing for Evran and his big black bushy brow :)
I read this as a limerick

Josh1873
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Josh1873 » 10 Jan 2023, 12:16

Tbf, right now I'd be happy to see players on the pitch who don't think they're bigger than the club, and create a poisonous atmosphere between players and fans.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 10 Jan 2023, 13:02

lutleyyeltz wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 13:05
I’ve said it before but I really miss wingers going on the outside, dribbling past their full back and putting the ball into a good area for a forward. I’d suspect there’s a few strikers out there that would agree wholeheartedly.
Some years ago we had Alex Cowley on the right wing and Simon Forsdick on the left.
That was their game plan - and it was effective and exciting to watch.
It's a simple game.
Maybe we should try that again instead of the modern tactics of "possession, possession, possession. "
Passes sideways and back are boring to watch and tactically allow the opposition time to organise ready for the speculative ball over the top.
I'm no football tactician but the more direct approach always seemed to yield more results than the modern slow build up.
Just a thought.
To be fair we've had matches where a fair number of good crosses have been put in, but lack of a big striker or a pacy one hitting the box quickly, have rendered them useless.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 10 Jan 2023, 17:09

piearce9 wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 10:06
Westyeltz wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 19:12
I read this as a limerick
'fraid not Pierce. It includes a couple of lines from the good old days when The Jolly boys used to sing self-penned tunes (sort of ;) ) and not just adaptations of generic tunes sung at identikit stadia around the UK (and further afield).

This one was sung along to the Dad's Army theme tune with words by The Big Ginger Wheelie Bin, I believe.

I'm surprised no-one of a certain age has commented.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 10 Jan 2023, 22:23

We did, it was, he did.