Match prospects

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Match prospects

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Jan 2023, 12:45

The conditions can make a match in the same way as they can spoil one.

From Yeltz_Bear's spectacular archive - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1399656052

I remember this as a Baseball Ground-style mud-fest.
Dudley had a forward line as feared as our own, with John Muir, Tim Langford and Hugh Legister causing chaos, with Muir and Langford going on to play league football with Doncaster and Wycombe respectively, after Tim had been with us for a while too (48/17).
I think Muir was returning from injury on the bench and only came on after half-time. If he'd played from the start it could have been 6-6.

"From Match Programme

What a performance!!!!! Ten goals and three vital points in the promotion battle. On a pretty wet and miserable winters afternoon both sides contributed to one of the most exciting games seen at the Grove this season and most of the fans in the crowd of 1031 would have gone home happy.

Gary Adkins making his debut, made an important save in the fifth minute. Then came the fireworks.

Jonathon Farmer opened the scoring after 10 minutes; Mark Penn then scored a rare goal before Malcolm Hazlewood hit a spectacular 35 yard volley.
Half-time came with the score 3-0.

At this stage no one in the crowd could have imagined the events of the second half. Muir after 46 minutes and then Langford after 57 minutes appeared to have brought Dudley back into the game.
Then up popped that man Mark Penn again to score an even rarer second goal in a game.
I think the last time he achieved this feat was way back in 9010.
Paul Joinson, the leagues leading scorer, then added number 5 with a delightful chip over the advancing Mountford.
Back came Dudley in a hectic last three minutes through Muir and Hancox. In between Paul Joinson added his second and Halesowen’s sixth to complete a memorable afternoon.

Tim Clarke missed the game with a thigh injury picked up in the game against Stroud. John Rhodes was missing because of flu and Leroy Hemans had ligament problems."

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Match prospects

Post by drummyb » 14 Jan 2023, 15:50

Its as boggy as Homer Hill park!!