Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Geoff Moss RIP

Post by andy » 13 Mar 2022, 20:13

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 15:28
YeltzDoc wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:08
CC94589D-D984-47CB-9A55-3D137C23DE80.jpeg

It’s with genuine sadness that I have to announce the death of Halesowen Town great, Geoff Moss.

For those who had the pleasure of watching us in the early 1980s, his name will forever be linked with the FA Vase teams and our feared forward line.

He was often the foil to the more vaunted exploits of Paul and Lee, but was a vital part of the club’s transformation from West Midlands Regional League also-rans to the most successful non-league team of the decade.

Short in stature and with a Beatle-style mop of black hair, he seemed an odd choice to partner the equally diminutive twins, with the colossus, Don Smith, seen as a more natural fit. But over 10 years service and bucketfuls of goals cemented his place as one of the legends of the club.

I’m sure that Chas can provide the stats, but he was much more than just the numbers. His hold-up play was spectacular for his size and his quick feet, quicker brain and famous mighty-salmon-leaps lead to countless goals for the Joiners and of course himself.

His three goals at Wembley will live long in the memory, but his goal away at Burnham in the 1983 semi-final was arguably the moment that the club’s fortunes changed forever.

He went on to manage and play for Lye, the same side we’d got him from a decade earlier.

I didn’t know the man, and he wasn’t a figure that was often seen at The Grove, but I did have the pleasure of playing against him at the Trust 6-a-side.
Of course I tried to mark him and of course he spun me and scored. I think I was more pleased with it than him.
I’d tried to put him off by telling him that I’d never marked anyone that I’d named pets after before, but he only smiled and smashed in another.

I hope that those who knew him can add their thoughts here and that those who never saw him play can appreciate the role he played in the club that we see today.

My all time favourite player. Geoff Moss RIP.
This is sad news to hear, but this was a lovely post, very well written and a great tribute.
Absolutely. Seconded.
I know he was always the player that meant the most to Doc and that was a fine tribute.👏
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

markb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by markb » 13 Mar 2022, 20:35

Very sad news …. Part of a great team who it was a pleasure to watch and even train with at times ….. RIP

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 14 Mar 2022, 08:18

Very very sad. A completely honest 100% player, with no shortage of talent either. Its no exaggeration that he could easily walk into any team Ive ever seen us put out and keep his place.
Thank you Geoff.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 15 Mar 2022, 08:55

A tribute from Lye Town
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 07 Apr 2022, 16:49

This is unbelievably sad news and our thoughts are primarily with Geoff’s family as we prepare to say goodbye over the next couple of days.

Geoff Moss’s achievements during the 1980s inspired a whole generation of current Yeltz fans. Before coming to The Grove at the start of the 1978/79 season, Halesowen Town often attracted under 100 fans but in his final season at the end of 1987/88, attendances commonly approached or exceeded 1,000. Born in 1957 and signed from Rowley, Geoff was a telephone engineer with British Telecom by day.

He will always be remembered for scoring three goals at Wembley to help win the FA Vase twice and by doing so he turned unfashionable Halesowen Town into a well-known national powerhouse in the world of non-league football.

During his remarkable 1985/86 season Geoff played a total of 60 games scoring 25 goals, including a brace at Wembley. His final goal for Halesowen came in April 1988 and his final game was in May 1988. He was then awarded a testimonial game against Aston Villa at the end of July 1988.

After his playing days, Geoff became the highly respected manager of Lye Town for around 10 years until 2008, keeping them consistently in the top half of the table on a very limited budget.

His footballing legacy and his impeccable manner and conduct as a person means his memory lives on. As long as football is played by Halesowen Town, he will always be part of it, for he was a massive part of the amazing team that built it.

God bless Geoff Moss.

I’ve also received these words from a former Halesowen News and Sports Argus editor, Nick Pullen:

MILD-mannered Geoff Moss was an unassuming type of chap. Polite and quietly spoken, Geoff was absolutely the last person to blow his own trumpet.

But Geoff Moss was an integral part of Halesowen Town's glory , glory days of the 1980s. Dressed in a Yeltz shirt, Geoff became a transformed man.

As a player,  Geoff never shirked away from the physical challenge. He had the heart of a lion and continually went in where it hurt. He was the perfect foil for the Joinson twins as they would maraud down either flank.

More often than not, the twins would carve their way through hapless defenders before burying the ball in the back of the net. But if there was a ball to be won in the box, then Geoff Moss would be there.

Geoff's contribution to Halesowen's success during that glorious period cannot be underestimated. Although the Joinsons took many of the plaudits, Geoff's place in Halesowen Town folklore is assured. He made the No.8 shirt his own and was a prolific striker to be feared.

I know much has been spoken and discussed over the years as to who would figure in Halesowen's finest ever side. But a best XI without Geoff Moss, would to many an avid Yeltz follower seemed simply unthinkable.

His passing is far too soon but his memory will live on.

Nick Pullen”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 07 Apr 2022, 16:51

Wembley

DJ
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DJ » 07 Apr 2022, 16:52

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 14 Apr 2023, 18:09

A lovely gesture from Lye Town, with a charity match arranged for April 23rd at their Stourbr*dge Road ground.

4BC75F82-EDED-4F4F-90F0-ACF4444392F1.jpeg

https://twitter.com/lyetownfc1930/statu ... uLwiaA_KYA