Geoff Moss RIP

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Geoff Moss RIP

Post by YeltzDoc » 13 Mar 2022, 11:08

CC94589D-D984-47CB-9A55-3D137C23DE80.jpeg
It’s with genuine sadness that I have to announce the death of Halesowen Town great, Geoff Moss.

For those who had the pleasure of watching us in the early 1980s, his name will forever be linked with the FA Vase teams and our feared forward line.

He was often the foil to the more vaunted exploits of Paul and Lee, but was a vital part of the club’s transformation from West Midlands Regional League also-rans to the most successful non-league team of the decade.

Short in stature and with a Beatle-style mop of black hair, he seemed an odd choice to partner the equally diminutive twins, with the colossus, Don Smith, seen as a more natural fit. But over 10 years service and bucketfuls of goals cemented his place as one of the legends of the club.

I’m sure that Chas can provide the stats, but he was much more than just the numbers. His hold-up play was spectacular for his size and his quick feet, quicker brain and famous mighty-salmon-leaps lead to countless goals for the Joiners and of course himself.

His three goals at Wembley will live long in the memory, but his goal away at Burnham in the 1983 semi-final was arguably the moment that the club’s fortunes changed forever.

He went on to manage and play for Lye, the same side we’d got him from a decade earlier.

I didn’t know the man, and he wasn’t a figure that was often seen at The Grove, but I did have the pleasure of playing against him at the Trust 6-a-side.
Of course I tried to mark him and of course he spun me and scored. I think I was more pleased with it than him.
I’d tried to put him off by telling him that I’d never marked anyone that I’d named pets after before, but he only smiled and smashed in another.

I hope that those who knew him can add their thoughts here and that those who never saw him play can appreciate the role he played in the club that we see today.

My all time favourite player. Geoff Moss RIP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yeltz7
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Geoff Moss RIP

Post by Yeltz7 » 13 Mar 2022, 11:33

A Class Player for the Club, but an Even Nicer Man Real sad day RIP Geoff.

Westyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Westyeltz » 13 Mar 2022, 11:51

Very sad indeed. RIP Geoff.

Johnny Bud
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Johnny Bud » 13 Mar 2022, 11:56

Very sad news. RIP Geoff.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 13 Mar 2022, 12:09

From another legend, Malcolm Hazlewood -

“A very quiet, nice man who never moaned on the pitch or the training ground.
Just got on with it, always took the punishment off defenders and never retaliated (not like me…).
A proper team player and a true legend.
A top player and man as well.”

Poll
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Poll » 13 Mar 2022, 12:53

A true club legend. RIP Geoff

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 13 Mar 2022, 13:19

Gosh. How very sad. RIP legend. And thank you.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 13 Mar 2022, 13:50

What terribly sad news.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 13 Mar 2022, 15:28

YeltzDoc wrote:
13 Mar 2022, 11:08
CC94589D-D984-47CB-9A55-3D137C23DE80.jpeg

It’s with genuine sadness that I have to announce the death of Halesowen Town great, Geoff Moss.

For those who had the pleasure of watching us in the early 1980s, his name will forever be linked with the FA Vase teams and our feared forward line.

He was often the foil to the more vaunted exploits of Paul and Lee, but was a vital part of the club’s transformation from West Midlands Regional League also-rans to the most successful non-league team of the decade.

Short in stature and with a Beatle-style mop of black hair, he seemed an odd choice to partner the equally diminutive twins, with the colossus, Don Smith, seen as a more natural fit. But over 10 years service and bucketfuls of goals cemented his place as one of the legends of the club.

I’m sure that Chas can provide the stats, but he was much more than just the numbers. His hold-up play was spectacular for his size and his quick feet, quicker brain and famous mighty-salmon-leaps lead to countless goals for the Joiners and of course himself.

His three goals at Wembley will live long in the memory, but his goal away at Burnham in the 1983 semi-final was arguably the moment that the club’s fortunes changed forever.

He went on to manage and play for Lye, the same side we’d got him from a decade earlier.

I didn’t know the man, and he wasn’t a figure that was often seen at The Grove, but I did have the pleasure of playing against him at the Trust 6-a-side.
Of course I tried to mark him and of course he spun me and scored. I think I was more pleased with it than him.
I’d tried to put him off by telling him that I’d never marked anyone that I’d named pets after before, but he only smiled and smashed in another.

I hope that those who knew him can add their thoughts here and that those who never saw him play can appreciate the role he played in the club that we see today.

My all time favourite player. Geoff Moss RIP.
This is sad news to hear, but this was a lovely post, very well written and a great tribute.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

uncle jack and coke
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by uncle jack and coke » 13 Mar 2022, 17:19

R.I.P Geoff. It was a pleasure to watch you play.