Goodbye from Montel?

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Goodbye from Montel?

Post by YeltzDoc » 06 May 2020, 15:23

https://twitter.com/montel_gibson9/stat ... 77378?s=21

There were rumours of Northampton a few weeks ago.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Goodbye from Montel?

Post by YeltzDoc » 06 May 2020, 15:26

And confirmed by the official site - https://www.ht-fc.co.uk/player-news

DanHTFC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DanHTFC » 06 May 2020, 15:34

Gutted but quite expected, he hinted on Twitter that he might be off when it was announced the season would be null and voided! Let’s hope we can find a suitable replacement, although I can see Sim and Molly being used more!

drummyb
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by drummyb » 06 May 2020, 16:26

Shame but I had a feeling towards the end he wasnt as up for it as at the start. Cracking player and wish him well.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 06 May 2020, 16:53

He was fantastic up until around Christmas, then he went all a bit quiet, and the goals dried up. I get the impression that teams figured his game out, and he couldn't adapt to their plans.

He has the ability to make it happen at professional level, and I certainly wish him all the best. But there's a lot of work ahead for him to get anywhere near that level on a consistent basis. But there'll certainly be no hard feeling from me for him trying to give it a go. He has earned his chance, and I'm pleased it was with us, rather than against us.

Thanks for all the hard work, and the great goals, Monts.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 06 May 2020, 19:02

Cheers Montel, it was an absolute pleasure. You contributed massively to what was a great few months. Good luck for the future.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 07 May 2020, 11:42

Sad to see him go but he was the one player I was convinced would leave this summer. There were plenty of scouts down The Grove at the back end of last season and I reckon he'll have been the main focus of their attention.

Lots of comments about him dropping off although you can't argue with a goals return of 30 in a shortened season. I really liked him - there were originally question marks around whether he had the right attitude and I gather there was a bit of a sulk early on in the season when he was rotated out of the team - but from a fans point of view he was great. Always seemed to love playing for the club - you can't ask for more than that.

This might be a bit self-congratulatory but we, as fans, really helped to get the best out of Montel. We sang songs about him, we made him feel like a hero, and he thrived on that - you could see it visibly lift him. If he does move up the pyramid, then I hope he gets a similar reception, even though he might have to fight for a place in the team at a bigger club.

He will be a big miss as he was a real physical presence as well as a goalscorer, so we may need an addition to replace him. Let's give whoever that is a big reception like we gave Monty.

thirdeye301
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by thirdeye301 » 07 May 2020, 19:31

Mmm strange decision, wants EFL football, I admire his ambition who wouldn't, why leave now when he could be playing at Wembley in front of thousands and a possible TV audience of many more thousands, great shop window for any aspiring footballer,
Just hope montel moves to a higher standard in search of his dream and not a sideways move, like so many others

MankiniDave68
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by MankiniDave68 » 09 May 2020, 11:55

Cannot deny a young ambitious player of trying to better himself. He came to the Grove to prove a point, I think he achieved that & put away a substantial amount of goals that helped the club as well as his personal needs, as well as been a team player linking well with others.
I wish him all the best wherever he ends up, apart from down Shamblecote, & I am certain if he ever returned to the Grove with a new club, he would be welcomed by the fans in the Shed.
All the best Monty, genuine nice guy & loved the Yeltz fans

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 09 May 2020, 16:59

Am I right in assuming he hasn't got a club to go to yet?
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0