League null and void

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: League null and void

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 26 Mar 2020, 16:35

I'd love to know why the miserable, clueless, dinosaurs hold April as some sort of mythical barrier that can not be passed.

So what if we have to play in the summer? Does it really matter, as long as the right conclusion was reached, i.e complete the season.

I really don't understand the stubbornness of these idiots that run the league.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

Seamus
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Seamus » 26 Mar 2020, 16:36

I suspect there may well be some twists yet to this story.

Firstly League 1 this season ran with 23 clubs due to the sad demise of Bury, I cannot believe that the clubs in this league will not want a full compliment for next season and as they are still talking of completing the season they do not need to do. Follow this logically and League 2 are now one down, who fills that place, and so on.

Also as has been stated on here a number of clubs may not continue or request voluntary demotion due to the financial impacts of the current situation, I suspect we will need to be patient and watch whatever final position may emerge.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 26 Mar 2020, 16:51

I'm pretty certain, from speaking to their fans, that Wantage wanted to get relegated. So they may take voluntary relegation.

That won't impact us, but shows it can happen.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Mar 2020, 17:00

The filthy, immoral FA have said they would like their competitions played to a conclusion! What a surprise. I think (and I know you'll disagree) that every club left in ALL their competitions should tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine so they don't make a single penny from us.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 26 Mar 2020, 17:21

Why not wait 4 weeks to see how the land lies then then decide. Spend the time discussing so the decision reached has been thrashed out not this seemingly knee jerk one.
The Missus is a Barrovian so I follow then closely and watch when I can so am gutted for all the hard work which has been done this season up there.

Hopefully all the squad will see this as unfinished business and sign up for the 20/21 season and we can continue this amazing journey.
As for the FA Trophy, I see no reason why the remaining matches cant be slotted in to August/September/October to give either Concorde or ourselves a trip to Wembley.

juanillo
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by juanillo » 26 Mar 2020, 18:06

I think it was inevitable that the season would not finish so that left one of two choices: finalise the tables based on PPG or void the season.

I think it would be difficult to play the season to a conclusion as players' contracts are not comparable to those at the full time professional clubs. Also if the season were played to a conclusion, I guess it may compromise next season's calendar. However, I agree they could find a way to finish the Trophy and Vase.

It's a real shame for the club and the fans that it's been voided latter, but equally, perspective is needed in the scheme of things.

In many of the divisions in the NPL, Southern and Isthmian leagues, the likely champions looked clear. However promoting 2 teams becomes more problematic let alone some of the relegation issues.

I think we would have won the league and had a great chance of getting to Wembley, so to lose those chances is desperately unfortunate.

However, I'm not sure if the PPG system is completely fair either. Some teams will have been running into form, others losing a bit of form, then there are the number of home fixtures to take into account. So really you'd have to take the PPG home and away into account and then there is the quality of the opponents in the unplayed matches to take into account.

Inevitably, there is always going to be an element of self-interest in the outcome.
Obviously we probably wouldn't have been as exercised by it all if we were mid table. Would we have been up in arms if this had happened last season?

It's just a sad outcome all round.

Rich
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Rich » 26 Mar 2020, 18:17

juanillo wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 18:06
However, I agree they could find a way to finish the Trophy and Vase.
They could possibly bring in the rule they had for the last 2 rounds with no replays and ties concluded in 1 match. That would allow next seasons competition to start later and run over shorter time period??

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 26 Mar 2020, 18:30

Rich wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 18:17
juanillo wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 18:06
However, I agree they could find a way to finish the Trophy and Vase.
They could possibly bring in the rule they had for the last 2 rounds with no replays and ties concluded in 1 match. That would allow next seasons competition to start later and run over shorter time period??
I'd far rather they sorted out a fair finish to the league. PPG is perfect in my opinion. This is unprecedented so clubs saying they could run into form or whatever would just be sour grapes. Some reward should be there for the club's that deserve it as it stands now.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

uncle jack and coke
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by uncle jack and coke » 26 Mar 2020, 19:23

Don't think this is over yet. South Shields are already saying they will take legal action against the FA . (They are 13 points ahead of second place in the Northern Premier League Premier Division with 9 games to play)

Viewfrom5west
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Viewfrom5west » 26 Mar 2020, 19:27

Absolutely gutted, for the fans who've turned out in numbers to cheer on the Yeltz in some pretty sh1t weather sometimes, above all to the players and coaching staff who've worked their buns off for the past 8 months or so to restore some pride in the blue shirts. And all for nothing? Words fail me....