What about Non-League?

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

What about Non-League?

Post by lutleyyeltz » 18 Mar 2020, 20:06

Coronavirus: EFL offers £50m to help clubs as Trophy final postponed - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51951389
We aren't even on their radar! 😠

Noggin
Global Moderator

Re: What about Non-League?

Post by Noggin » 18 Mar 2020, 20:28

At the risk of repeating what I posted elsewhere on here, the money received from the FA Cup and Trophy runs should ensure our clubs survival. Many clubs will not be so fortunate including, I guess, some well known names.

Additionally, if the c-19 issue continues into the summer, which is not unreasonable, who will buy season tickets, particularly for clubs that have struggled during the current/suspended season? There goes another source of revenue which historically tides clubs over when there a period of no gate revenue during the summer months

I take no pleasure in saying this, but the landscape of the leagues could look very different when football resumes.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 19 Mar 2020, 11:51

Noggin wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 20:28

I take no pleasure in saying this, but the landscape of the leagues could look very different when football resumes.
Unfortunately Noggs I suspect you may be correct. So many clubs may not get through this at all.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 20 Mar 2020, 15:55

https://www.staffordrangersfc.co.uk/off ... directors/
As Noggin and Andy have pointed out!

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 22 Mar 2020, 10:03

The Telegraph has a different angle on this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2 ... -careers/ which focuses on Billy Roast who plays for Concord. It talks about the fact that they too could have their Wembley dream fade away and the financial consequences for him personally as he also coaches children as his day job. Apologies If the article is behind a paywall. If it is, I will attempt to post the full text.

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 22 Mar 2020, 15:09

Coronavirus case studies: National League footballers fear for their careers and families
It is hard to overemphasise the perilous state of lower-league football, where players are paid as they play

By
Matt Law,
FOOTBALL NEWS CORRESPONDENT
21 March 2020 • 4:33pm
Premium
Concord Rangers midfielder Billy Roast was about to play in the biggest game of his life
Concord Rangers midfielder Billy Roast was about to play in the biggest game of his life CREDIT: Paul Raffety
While speculation continues about how the Premier League season will conclude, lower down the football pyramid the coronavirus crisis has players fearing for their livelihoods. Matt Law tells the story of two National League footballers who face an anxious and uncertain few weeks.

How a Wembley dream could be cruelly snatched away
Billy Roast should have been looking forward to the biggest match of his football career this weekend, but, instead, like thousands of people up and down the country, he is wondering whether or not he will still have an income during the coronavirus crisis.

Roast plays as a defensive midfielder for Essex-based Concord Rangers in the National League South, the sixth tier of English football, and also coaches schoolchildren during the week.

Concord had been scheduled to play the first leg of their FA Trophy semi-final against Halesowen Town on Saturday, ahead of the second leg at home the following week, for the right to play in the final at Wembley.

But both semi-final ties were postponed after the National League suspended all football until at least April 4 because of the coronavirus outbreak and, like the Premier League stars they aspire to, Roast and his Concord team-mates were told to train at home.

Unlike football’s elite, Roast, who is a non-contract player, has no idea whether or not he is still being paid and does not have a gym set up in his home to keep fit in. He is still coaching in schools, but that source of income is also under threat with school closed for almost all children.

Roast did not want to reveal his weekly Concord wage, but, typically, players at his level earn around £200-a-week.

Billy Roast celebrates with Concord Rangers supporters
Roast celebrates with Concord Rangers supporters CREDIT: Paul Raffety
“I’m a non-contract player, so I get paid by the week,” said the 24-year-old. “Our chairman, Antony Smith, has been incredible and I can’t thank him enough for the way he has treated me.

“The league hasn’t been suspended for long, so we are waiting to hear whether or not we will be paid but that’s not the most important thing right now. The most important thing is people’s health.

“It would obviously have an impact if I lose one or both of my incomes, but there are other things to worry about at the moment.”

Roast still lives with his parents and brother, and was having to take extra precautions in his local gym - before they were told to close - and use the map-my-run app to try to stay fit.

“Team training is suspended and we’ve been given our individual programs to follow,” said Roast. “Most of it [was] in the gym and going out running.

“We [had] different gym sessions to do on different days. I don’t have a gym at my home, so I [was] going to a local gym and just being very careful to follow all the guidelines to wipe everything down.

With gyms now off-limits, Roast thinks that the club will still be able to provide guidance.

“I am sure the club will adapt and we’ll use the resources we have. We all downloaded the map my run app and each run gets sent back into the club so they can see what we are doing.”

Roast acknowledged that many non-league clubs could face huge financial struggles to keep going through the coronavirus and admitted it would be a huge blow if the season were voided and his Wembley dream ended.

“We’re two matches from Wembley, which is already a great achievement for the club and as individuals as well,” said Roast. “It’s always been my ambition to play at Wembley, so it would be very frustrating to get so close and have it taken away.”

Former FA Cup quarter-finalist who does not know where next pay cheque is coming from
Three years ago Sam Habergham was living a dream as he reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup with Lincoln City, who were then a non-league club, but the impact of the coronavirus is threatening to extend his injury nightmare.

Habergham helped Lincoln knockout Brighton and Burnley on the way to the last eight, when they were finally beaten by eventual champions Arsenal. The left-back was an ever-present in League Two during the next season, following promotion, before injury struck.

A serious knee problem, which required two operations, has meant that Habergham has not played for two seasons and has been out of contract for the past 12 months after his Lincoln deal expired.

Lincoln have continued to help Habergham with his rehabilitation, while the 28-year-old has earned an income through freelance modelling and events work.

But he no longer knows where his next pay cheque will come from and the closure of Lincoln’s training ground means he can no longer use his former club’s facilities to try to be fit in time for the start of next season.

“It’s not a great time to be an out-of-contract footballer or a freelancer,” said Habergham. “But there are a lot of people worse off than me and I need to keep focused on getting my injury right. I haven’t come this far not to get over the line.”

Habergham in action for Lincoln in 2017
Habergham in action for Lincoln in 2017 CREDIT: CameraSport via Getty
Habergham is hoping to start running outside again from next week, but admits he may be forced to look for a new job if the coronavirus crisis continues into the summer.

“Long-term, no it’s not sustainable for me not to be earning,” said Habergham. “I’ve got a mortgage and bills to pay, like everyone else. Everybody is worried.

“Eventually, I would have to think about getting another job and it might be I have to do something I wouldn’t previously have considered. But, for now, I’m going to focus on trying to improve my fitness and staying healthy.”

Habergham joined Norwich City as an eight-year-old and worked his way through the age groups up to the age of 19. During his time with the Canaries, he played for England in the 2009 European under-17 Championship.

“We had a really good squad,” said Habergham. “Jack Wilshere, Jonjo Shelvey, Tom Ince, Benik Afobe, there were a lot of really good players. I won three caps for the under-17s.”

After being released by Norwich, Habergham played for Tamowrth and Braintree before moving with Danny and Nicky Cowley to Lincoln.

“It’s been a long and tough couple of years and this is obviously another obstacle,” said Habergham, who lives with his girlfriend. “Having been in the situation I have for such a long time, you learn to keep going and deal with things. It’s going to be a test for everyone.

“I’m still in touch with Lincoln who can help me with individual routines, but I don’t have a gym in my house or anything. At the moment I’m using a normal gym, but that obviously could change quite soon. I just want to get the boots back on.”

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 22 Mar 2020, 15:11

Apologies If the article is behind a paywall. If it is, I will attempt to post the full text.
Here it is ....

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 22 Mar 2020, 16:06

Cheers Ronnie. Interesting read. So, so many people must have uncertain futures at the moment. Let's hope that people look out for each other as we ARE capable of doing just that. Help and kindness cost nothing. Selfishness may cost us everything.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 23 Mar 2020, 09:10

Dutchreferee wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 15:11
Apologies If the article is behind a paywall. If it is, I will attempt to post the full text.
Here it is ....
thank Ronny ... see you on the other side