dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Didcot

Post by dalevillain » 27 Feb 2020, 08:12

uncle jack and coke wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 23:18
andy wrote:
26 Feb 2020, 21:59
Even though Josh seems to think most of us are on the verge of pushing up daisies and remember plagues and V*lla actually winning things, but it's got me thinking. What the hell DID we do before mobiles and the internet?
I remember that at one time pre mobiles (I think mid to late 80s) there was the "clubline" whereby you rang a dedicated number and got a pre-recorded message about some aspect of the club, dependent on the day of the week. Friday night and Saturday gave details of the weekend match such as injury updates and whether or not there was a pitch inspection due.
I remember the clubline even in the early 2000’s when I first started going down the Grove - ringing the number to see if the game was on or not. Then when I was a little bit older and had t’internet at home I used to log onto Poll’s excellent Yeltzland site where it used to be posted on there.
Last edited by dalevillain on 27 Feb 2020, 08:14, edited 1 time in total.

lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by lutleyyeltz » 27 Feb 2020, 08:13

I would like to clear up a misconception that an ex lowly serf of mine, namely Noggin, has about my status in society.
I gave up my peerage some while ago in order to mix more freely with those of lower status whose company I find far more convivial.
It is true that at times I do send one of my imbibing chums from the local hostelry where I enjoy pre joust ales to ascertain the condition of the arena and at what time I can expect to enter without too much inconvenience.
Old habits die hard, I'm afraid!
I would also warn the aforementioned Noggin that his scurrilous remarks may have an adverse effect on his continued tenancy in his hovel on my land.
Up ye Yeltz!!

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 27 Feb 2020, 08:29

“News, views, interviews, match reports, live, as it happens, from The Grove”.
“What are all these 0898 numbers on the bill?”
“Football mum, honest.”

The truth is, for away matches, you rocked up and took your chances.
Missed a few - train to Bath only to find Trowbridge (a) was off, me and El Seano both ended up at Bath RFU v London Irish.

My personal favourite was a train to Bromsgrove from London, an hour’s wait for a taxi, and paid entry into the ground at halftime just in time for the ref to call it off for fog.

And the relief upon seeing the Harris’s coach having got the train from London to Gretna, was better than the match itself.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Feb 2020, 11:07

YeltzDoc wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 08:29

My personal favourite was a train to Bromsgrove from London, an hour’s wait for a taxi, and paid entry into the ground at halftime just in time for the ref to call it off for fog.

And the relief upon seeing the Harris’s coach having got the train from London to Gretna, was better than the match itself.
Remember both of those well. 2 real claims to fame for you there!
You are right about the trip to Gretna on the Thursday, when we set off we were told the game was only a possibility. While driving over Shap I thought there was no chance. But on it was for the 15 of us there. Unlike Macclesfield when we were there looking at a perfectly playable pitch with both teams wanting to play, the ref thought otherwise.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

old git
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by old git » 27 Feb 2020, 11:16

andy wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 11:07
YeltzDoc wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 08:29

Remember both of those well. 2 real claims to fame for you there!
You are right about the trip to Gretna on the Thursday, when we set off we were told the game was only a possibility. While driving over Shap I thought there was no chance. But on it was for the 15 of us there. Unlike Macclesfield when we were there looking at a perfectly playable pitch with both teams wanting to play, the ref thought otherwise.
I’ll never forget the look on the face of the Gretna chairman when Our fans turned up, but when we told him you had come from London ... he was that impressed he sent word to the kitchen to provide sustenances as I recall....great people there 😳

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Feb 2020, 11:29

Can you ever remember less fans at a game OG? I think we counted about 15 that hadn't been part of the playing staff/committee. About 5 or 6 cars. Docs adventures that day though will not be beaten. Brilliant.
Actually may have taken less to Crawley on the Tuesday night thinking about it.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 27 Feb 2020, 13:03

There were 11 of us at Crawley. I remember mentioning it to Malcolm, who replied, "Is that in case we don't turn up?"

Me, you, Rog, Dave for certain, maybe El Seano if he was in London at the time, maybe Big Nige, Big / Little RIch, Keeef, OG and a few other dignitaries, anyone else?

I suspect we had fewer during some of the dark days. A trip to Cheshunt or maybe Chesham was a particular lowlight if memory serves.

JohnC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by JohnC » 27 Feb 2020, 13:10

YeltzDoc wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 13:03
There were 11 of us at Crawley. I remember mentioning it to Malcolm, who replied, "Is that in case we don't turn up?"

Me, you, Rog, Dave for certain, maybe El Seano if he was in London at the time, maybe Big Nige, Big / Little RIch, Keeef, OG and a few other dignitaries, anyone else?

I suspect we had fewer during some of the dark days. A trip to Cheshunt or maybe Chesham was a particular lowlight if memory serves.
Indeed Chesham under Ingram's ownership, Cunnington manager. Roger, Dave, Chas and myself (I had arranged work for two days near by) I think Sandra and Andrew were only "club officials". Walked in rolling fog. Ref started and then 20 minutes in suspended play for 10 minutes to see if roll if. It didn't game abandoned I led protests for a refund not a voucher and we four were indeed refunded eventually.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 27 Feb 2020, 13:13

Ooh yes, the dark days, during boycott etc. Anyone got any ' I was the only person other than Rog and Dave' tales? Senior Cups etc.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 27 Feb 2020, 13:15

andy wrote:
27 Feb 2020, 11:29
About 5 or 6 cars.
One car was El Seano, Big Nige, Big Rich, Little Rich and possibly either Chemo or Steve Gregory. It was either Sean or Little Rich who drove and conditions were a touch cramped as Big RIch is probably 6'3" and Big Nige 6'3" in all directions, on the way back they stopped at EVERY services for a coffee. Upon arriving in Halesowen, everyone slunk off to bed apart from Big Rich who went straight to work.
#NotAllHeroesWearCapes