Barnet

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Barnet

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Feb 2020, 09:41

With heavy rain forecast pretty much all day today, and then again first thing tomorrow morning, if the pitch isn't in playable condition this evening, it won't be playable tomorrow afternoon. Surely?
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

DanHTFC
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by DanHTFC » 28 Feb 2020, 09:57

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 09:41
With heavy rain forecast pretty much all day today, and then again first thing tomorrow morning, if the pitch isn't in playable condition this evening, it won't be playable tomorrow afternoon. Surely?
Agree 100%. I think it’s going to take something special from the Barnet grounds team and a dry spell over this evening and through the morning (which we know is forecast as rain).

If you know the ground isn’t in a playable condition tonight, then call it off. I’m amongst the majority on here who believe we’ll be halfway there before a decision is made unfortunately!

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 28 Feb 2020, 10:29

I see what certain people are doing now, playing the old reverse psychology game..................clever that. Very clever. ;)

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Feb 2020, 10:32

I have genuine sympathy for any club in this situation, with regards to a high chance of a postponement due to weather.

You obviously want to give the game every chance to go ahead, therefore leave any call as late as possible, but at the same time you don't want to frustrate your own fans, and waste travelling fans time. It's a really difficult call to make.

I'm not sure which action I'd take. As a fan I'd prefer an early call, as in late this evening or early tomorrow to avoid a wasted day. But I can totally understand the reasoning in leaving it as late as possible.

SpongeDad
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by SpongeDad » 28 Feb 2020, 10:37

Can someone tell me why teams don't cover pitches to prevent this? There must be a reason. Also I think if it's dry leading up to kick off and no rain forecast during the game it could go ahead. If they could get most of the surface water off

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Feb 2020, 10:38

SpongeDad wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 10:37
Can someone tell me why teams don't cover pitches to prevent this? There must be a reason. Also I think if it's dry leading up to kick off and no rain forecast during the game it could go ahead. If they could get most of the surface water off
Andy is your best bet to answer this.

I'd have thought it would kill the grass, and do more long term harm than good? But I'd be guessing!

fairweatherfan
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by fairweatherfan » 28 Feb 2020, 10:50

SpongeDad wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 10:37
I think the issue is that the ground is saturated, which means forking it won't do anything and it just sits in the top soil. For reasons I've never really understood, you can't get it off when it sits there- even sponges don't really work, and so you just have to... wait.

I just don't see how it's going to be on, about which I'm absolutely gutted as I just can't do Tuesday with work. Fingers crossed I'm wrong; I usually am. Suppose the only glimmer of hope is the wind!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Feb 2020, 11:10

The trouble with Barnets pitch is that the damage is already done. Putting a cover on now would stop further rain adding to the problem but allow no drying out of what is already there. Any run off on a cover also has to drain somewhere, all adding to the overall problem.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

410viawednesbury
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by 410viawednesbury » 28 Feb 2020, 11:13

For anyone wandering about the state of Barnet's pitch, for tomorrow, there is an update on their twitter page.

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 28 Feb 2020, 11:13

http://www.onlybarnet.com/forum/viewtop ... 4&start=60

In case you struggle to keep upto date with all things Barnet. This is a great forum of mainly moaning. Except by a couple of chaps I may know ;D