Peaksteve
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Vase Years

Post by Peaksteve » 20 Jan 2020, 13:18

Poll wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 22:40
Thanks to whoever put all those clips together - great job 👍
You're welcome ;)

YouTube tells you where people are finding your uploads, so I thought I'd join here and thank you all for your comments, and perhaps give the video a bit of background.

Back in 1985 and 1986, by dad (Eric Gill) recorded the build-up and final highlights of the two Wembley visits from both Central News and Midlands Today. Unfortunately, an errant video recorder ate the tape and they were lost. But thanks to a friend of a friend of a friend (who I believed worked at Central TV in some capacity) he was sent a tape which contained the raw video of all of Central's coverage of HTFC, which included the 1983 stuff and the semi-finals from 1986 which we'd never seen before - after all, these things were only ever broadcast once so if you didn't happen to be watching, tough.

That tape ended up in a box of my tapes when I moved out, and I found it in our loft in 2011 when we were clearing things out - it's just taken me 9 years to get it onto YouTube!

In answer to another comment above, Eric (my father) was the snooker player you would have encountered at the Conservative Club. His father, John Edward "Eddie" Gill was the Conservative club stalwart who was secretary there until his death in 1985. Eric sadly passed away in 2005 but Madge is still with us.

Dutchreferee
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Dutchreferee » 20 Jan 2020, 16:24

This is really good to see this Youtube video !

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 20 Jan 2020, 16:53

Peaksteve wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 13:18
Poll wrote:
You're welcome ;)

YouTube tells you where people are finding your uploads, so I thought I'd join here and thank you all for your comments, and perhaps give the video a bit of background.

Back in 1985 and 1986, by dad (Eric Gill) recorded the build-up and final highlights of the two Wembley visits from both Central News and Midlands Today. Unfortunately, an errant video recorder ate the tape and they were lost. But thanks to a friend of a friend of a friend (who I believed worked at Central TV in some capacity) he was sent a tape which contained the raw video of all of Central's coverage of HTFC, which included the 1983 stuff and the semi-finals from 1986 which we'd never seen before - after all, these things were only ever broadcast once so if you didn't happen to be watching, tough.

That tape ended up in a box of my tapes when I moved out, and I found it in our loft in 2011 when we were clearing things out - it's just taken me 9 years to get it onto YouTube!

In answer to another comment above, Eric (my father) was the snooker player you would have encountered at the Conservative Club. His father, John Edward "Eddie" Gill was the Conservative club stalwart who was secretary there until his death in 1985. Eric sadly passed away in 2005 but Madge is still with us.
Great stuff Steve. I sat in front of your mum and dad for years in the late 80s - give my regards to Madge.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 20 Jan 2020, 17:05

YeltzDoc wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 16:53
Peaksteve wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 13:18
Poll wrote:
You're welcome ;)

Great stuff Steve. I sat in front of your mum and dad for years in the late 80s - give my regards to Madge.
Could they see past all that hair? ;D
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 20 Jan 2020, 18:54

Not an issue they’d have now.