A dangerous concept.

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
lutleyyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

A dangerous concept.

Post by lutleyyeltz » 21 Nov 2019, 22:10

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... urt-ruling.
This is very worrying for non-league football.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: A dangerous concept.

Post by andy » 22 Nov 2019, 08:22

How does it all work exactly? Do clubs not have an insurance policy for players to cover these sort of events? I thought that was what happened if a player lost earnings. If I have missed something and this really is a landmark case we are going to lose a lot of non league clubs in the near future.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 22 Nov 2019, 10:10

When I was running a parks side, the club had to have an insurance policy to cover players injuries and loss of earnings. I would imagine that thi is the case for clubs at all levels and that non-league clubs should have public liability insurance to cover spectators (Sheila).

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 22 Nov 2019, 21:58

Watch the interview.

The blood-sucking parasite, sorry, lawyer, that advised and won the case for the player says that most public liability insurance policies that clubs holds don't cover these claims by players.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Nov 2019, 13:25

YeltzDoc wrote:
22 Nov 2019, 21:58
Watch the interview.

The blood-sucking parasite, sorry, lawyer, that advised and won the case for the player says that most public liability insurance policies that clubs holds don't cover these claims by players.
Good grief. A scary eye opener.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 23 Nov 2019, 15:14

For a start £2m of public liability cover is worth virtually nothing, for example, to have a stall at the Victorian Fair in Halesowen you have to show proof of a minimum of £5m PL cover
Secondly, paid players are not really random paying members of the public, they are more like employees, although normal Employer Liability cover won’t include activities like playing football for reward

I seem to remember from our travails of 10 years ago that the club had such coverage under the membership of the Birmingham County FA. Can someone like Doc remember better?