Striker Leaves

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
crezza94
Yeltz Forum Member

Striker Leaves

Post by crezza94 » 28 Aug 2019, 09:11

Lee Hughes mutually agrees a move away from the club.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Striker Leaves

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Aug 2019, 09:46

Piearce will be devastated. I'm here for you if you need any help chap! ;D ;D
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 28 Aug 2019, 10:53

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 09:46
Piearce will be devastated. I'm here for you if you need any help chap! ;D ;D
Haha! I must have made my feelings too obvious.

I'm glad we've made this decision. It's not personal - he just wasn't making any contribution on the pitch at all. In fairness to him, I think he'd struggled with injury last season and he did honestly keep us up the season before that.

When you've got four good strikers in the squad (Molly, Gibson, Lucas & Jones), all of whom fit the system, then there's no point in keeping him on.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 28 Aug 2019, 11:06

He certainly got us out of a hole when he arrived an we will always be grateful for that. Enjoyed watching him. Of late though he has not given us anything on the pitch so the time was right.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

Solly39
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Solly39 » 28 Aug 2019, 13:13

As good as Hughes has been, I think it was almost inevitable that his stay would be a short one under the new management. He didn't look at his sharpest when coming on away at Bedworth and was guilty of missing a couple of chances that could have settled the tie on the day? Good luck to him though wherever he goes.

Whilst this is the 1st departure since the start of the season I'm sure it wont be the last. Satisfying all the players needs will be very difficult when the squad looks so strong. We've still got George Forsythe and Ethan Jones to return from injury too!

dalevillain
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by dalevillain » 28 Aug 2019, 14:03

And mentioned this probably isn’t a huge surprise and I think it’s right for both parties.

For me will be best remembered as keeping us up at the end of the 2017/18 season.

Last year he stepped in as a player manager in what was a sinking ship and gave his all on but sadly wasn’t enough and felt then his best days were behind him.

Always felt it was a strange one for him to still be around as a player this season with a younger squad. Certainly would have kept him here as a coach but clearly he feels he can do a job playing still, so makes sense for him to move on.

Thanks for everything he has done for us. He may have been a controversial appointment but for me he will be considered a hero and would always welcome him back here whether it be as a coach/manager in the future.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Aug 2019, 14:28

I'd echo the general consensus mentioned in this thread.

Excellent in for us when he first signed and single handedly kept us up. But age seemingly caught up with him last season and early on this season. The footballing brain is there, but his body just wouldn't allow him to do it.

He's had an excellent career.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

yeltz85
Global Moderator

Post by yeltz85 » 28 Aug 2019, 15:59

Now at Mickleover.