....and way back when

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: ....and way back when

Post by YeltzDoc » 29 Dec 2018, 22:53

Laurel Lane Lamper wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 19:48
A couple of players from before my time but about whom I’ve read impressive reports are Harry Parr & Jimmy Meaney. Then Ronnie Dugmore played some of his Yeltz career before I started watching but I did see plenty and he finished one of our highest goalscorers . From the late 1950s & the 60s era that got me hooked there are numerous legends – goalie Albert Farrow, full back Gordon Field (later to become Manager), wing halves Stan Purvis & Mel Adams and centre half Dave Culwick. Mel & Dave would be in my all-time Yeltz XI. Wingers Sammy Roberts & Bobby Anderson – to see Sammy place a pinpoint corner, taken down the Stourbr*dge Rd end and on the James Grove side, was a delight. Utility man Alan Parsons, centre forwards Billy Hargreaves & David Eades (both excellent goals per game ratios). Striking duo Eddie Bell & Tony Cotterill. If I took more time to consider, I expect there’d be others. Our sides at this time were great entertainment.
There’s another player who I also never saw but who I would contend is the Yeltz legend of legends. Wilf Jones played in our first match of the 1946/47 season at centre-half. From then until 1957 Wilf must have missed less than 10% of the matches played. I expect away travel, without the modern road system, required some commitment. Some journeys were made by train from the Halesowen station. Our away trip in 1951 to Merthyr may have been an interesting one and the return none too happy after a 0-9 defeat.
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Invaluable resource from LLL, as ever.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 29 Dec 2018, 23:54

I see that Umit Eminoglu has been overlooked yet again

KenR
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by KenR » 30 Dec 2018, 00:35

Alec Wood, who once scored 5 goals against tamworth in a 7 - 0 victory. (thought you'd like that brummie)

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 30 Dec 2018, 09:07

piearce9 wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 23:54
I see that Umit Eminoglu has been overlooked yet again
Yes, there’s a few from that end of the spectrum too, especially during the reign of those who shall not be mentioned.

Who was the one that refused to come out for the second half?

HalesowenHarry
Global Moderator

Post by HalesowenHarry » 30 Dec 2018, 09:52

YeltzDoc wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 09:07
Who was the one that refused to come out for the second half?
Easy.... Erik Hummel 24th Jan 2009 at home to Rugby Town...... 0-4......

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 30 Dec 2018, 10:04

andy wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 22:47
Noticeable also LLL that you name many players from the 50/60s and then there seem to be no more until we start mentioning our players from the 80s. Was the late 60s and 70s as barren as I have been led to believe?

Ronnie Dugmore could certainly look after himself, well built although not too tall, as could Billy Hargreaves.
It’s difficult comparing different eras even without memory fading or playing tricks. For example, our 80s Vase side was prolifically scoring in the Banks’ League but should have been playing at a higher level. Football changed as the 60s progressed when Alf Ramsey’s wingless wonders won the World Cup and 4-4-3 or 4-4-2 formations arrived with Tommy Docherty’s Chelsea notable proponents. Villa played Chelsea at home and were on Match of the Day. Even now Kenneth Wolstenholme’s commentary haunts me with Villa persisting with a dated system and Chelsea having the modern way – Villa 2 Chelsea 6. Then the highly successful Don Revie’s Leeds side took the approach to away games of having their first aim of keeping what they already had – a clean sheet and 1 point. The game became more defensive and tactical.
I’ve not mentioned any 70s legends because I didn’t go regularly for a while, for several reasons. Not many did, attendance records are patchy but were often only double figures. Locally, progressive clubs such as Tamworth, Gasboys, Kidderminster,, Bromsgrove had long moved up to the Southern League with floodlights installed. Lye Town were finishing towards the top of the West Midlands League while we were down the other end. Peter Williams stands out from this decade, a tall striker who started in the late 60s and continued to score nearly 100 goals in over 300 appearances. Phil Coldicott, a Wembley legend who has yet to be mentioned in these look backs, started in 71/72 season, returned briefly in 77/78 before his long stint from 79/80 to 86/87.

Laurel Lane Lamper
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by Laurel Lane Lamper » 30 Dec 2018, 10:36

Some of the players can be seen in squad photos
http://www.yeltzarchives.com/history/cl ... esent.html

uncle jack and coke
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by uncle jack and coke » 30 Dec 2018, 12:27

Stepping aside from the players for a moment. Surely the ultimate club legend has got to be Harry Rudge

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Dec 2018, 13:25

Laurel Lane Lamper wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 10:04
andy wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 22:47
Noticeable also LLL that you name many players from the 50/60s and then there seem to be no more until we start mentioning our players from the 80s. Was the late 60s and 70s as barren as I have been led to believe?

Ronnie Dugmore could certainly look after himself, well built although not too tall, as could Billy Hargreaves.
It’s difficult comparing different eras even without memory fading or playing tricks. For example, our 80s Vase side was prolifically scoring in the Banks’ League but should have been playing at a higher level. Football changed as the 60s progressed when Alf Ramsey’s wingless wonders won the World Cup and 4-4-3 or 4-4-2 formations arrived with Tommy Docherty’s Chelsea notable proponents. Villa played Chelsea at home and were on Match of the Day. Even now Kenneth Wolstenholme’s commentary haunts me with Villa persisting with a dated system and Chelsea having the modern way – Villa 2 Chelsea 6. Then the highly successful Don Revie’s Leeds side took the approach to away games of having their first aim of keeping what they already had – a clean sheet and 1 point. The game became more defensive and tactical.
I’ve not mentioned any 70s legends because I didn’t go regularly for a while, for several reasons. Not many did, attendance records are patchy but were often only double figures. Locally, progressive clubs such as Tamworth, Gasboys, Kidderminster,, Bromsgrove had long moved up to the Southern League with floodlights installed. Lye Town were finishing towards the top of the West Midlands League while we were down the other end. Peter Williams stands out from this decade, a tall striker who started in the late 60s and continued to score nearly 100 goals in over 300 appearances. Phil Coldicott, a Wembley legend who has yet to be mentioned in these look backs, started in 71/72 season, returned briefly in 77/78 before his long stint from 79/80 to 86/87.

Absolutely loving all this info Chas. Cheers.
My memory seems to fade in about a fortnight. :-\
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 30 Dec 2018, 13:28

uncle jack and coke wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 12:27
Stepping aside from the players for a moment. Surely the ultimate club legend has got to be Harry Rudge

Very true. He can be given the joint presidentship of our legends team with Colin.
We'll need a manager too.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0