....and way back when

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: ....and way back when

Post by andy » 02 Jan 2019, 22:41

If we were to go 'best' players in this section also, as far as old fashioned centre forwards go was there anybody better than Julian Alsop? Probably not. Maybe we should do a best ever player in each position for pre 2000 also.
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 03 Jan 2019, 10:17

Bananaman was a bit of an enigma when he played for us. He split (sic) the support, with some seeing him as a classic old school centre forward who was far too good for our level and others considering him to be a right old donkey.
Although his fruit-based antics earned him his greatest infamy, I’ll always remember him for playing about 10 minutes at The Grove with one eye bandaged over after losing a contact lens.
I believe “character” covers it off.
Nice article about him here - http://twohundredpercent.net/bananas-ba ... sop-story/

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 03 Jan 2019, 11:24

YeltzDoc wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 10:17
Bananaman was a bit of an enigma when he played for us. He split (sic) the support, with some seeing him as a classic old school centre forward who was far too good for our level and others considering him to be a right old donkey.
Although his fruit-based antics earned him his greatest infamy, I’ll always remember him for playing about 10 minutes at The Grove with one eye bandaged over after losing a contact lens.
I believe “character” covers it off.
Nice article about him here - http://twohundredpercent.net/bananas-ba ... sop-story/
Atherstone away anyone? I bet their keeper remembers.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 03 Jan 2019, 12:26

I don't remember him clattering the keeper at Atherstone - I suspect there were that many that they've blurred into one...

The Atherstone one I remember involved another "character", Darren Marsh. They'd scored and there'd been a foul in the build-up or an offside not given or some such, and everybody went mad at the lino, who clearly hadn't "gotten it out of his eyes to put it round the rhubarb" as another legend used to shout.

Anyhoo, we lined up for the kick off, Marshy on the right hand touchline, one inch from the offending linesman's face, staring straight at him.

You've never seen a bloke look so scared and powerless at the same time as I don't expect "looking at me funny" is a reason for a caution.

I think we spent the rest of the match and some time in the bar singing, "Marshy's gonna get ya, Marshy's gonna get ya"...

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 03 Jan 2019, 13:24

YeltzDoc wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 12:26
I don't remember him clattering the keeper at Atherstone - I suspect there were that many that they've blurred into one...
The day we scored 5 there. Julian got 3. Their keeper looked terrified every time Julian went anywhere near him. He barged and clattered him (well all of them actually) all over the place. I think he put him in the back of the net with the ball once. Poor lad.

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 03 Jan 2019, 14:34

I was there, but the only thing I can remember is that the Big Ginger Wheelie Bin missed 4 of the 5 goals through being in the bog.

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 03 Jan 2021, 14:29

;D
YeltzDoc wrote:
03 Jan 2019, 14:34
I was there, but the only thing I can remember is that the Big Ginger Wheelie Bin missed 4 of the 5 goals through being in the bog.
;D

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 03 Jan 2021, 14:52

I have in front of me a programme in front of me for Halesowen Town vDidcot Town on Sat.13. sep.1980 in "F.A.Challenge Cup 1st Round Qualifying"
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but Stuart Edmonds may have been playing ,and names I recall out of the programme list include P.Coldicott L.Randle,G.Moss,L.Joinson and P.Page.The progamme consists of 4 pages (unumbered) and mentions the Shilvock brothers in the dialogue.Where the
bloody hell did those 40 years go! :) :) [align=][/align]

pantverdant2
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by pantverdant2 » 11 Jan 2021, 09:35

andy wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 11:34
YeltzDoc wrote:
01 Jan 2019, 00:09
Definitive answer then I’ll lock the thread.

Danny
Penner
Cashy
Jimmy Rodwell
Andy Pearce
Snapper
Malcolm(c)
Flynny
Lee
Paul
God

End of.

Now over to the 21st century list. Less choice so easier or harder?
Not a legend in site but here goes;-Daniel Platt,Richard Colwell,Alex Cowley,Asa Charlton,Henry Eze,Steve Pope,Lee Chilton,Daniel Bragoli,Troy Deeney,Ben Haseley and Jack Kelly.Harder but who is God in above list? >:D