Club greats, who's next?

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Club greats, who's next?

Post by andy » 28 Dec 2018, 18:22

With Asa departing it is the end of another era I feel, yet I feel optimistic that a better time will be round the corner.
For me Asa joins our list of club greats and we haven't had many in the last 15 or more years. Ben Haseley is an easy one that springs to mind, Platty will probably end up being another. Tilt wasn't really here long enough to qualify, and beyond that over recent years I'm struggling. Can anyone add any others?
The list prior to this would be substantial, could be 20 or more long but club stalwarts/legends have been thin on the ground of late.
Let's hope some of the new crop may be remembered in many years to come!
Proud owner of FOUR Georges O0 O0 O0 O0

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Club greats, who's next?

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 28 Dec 2018, 20:19

Hopefully we can see some youth players make the grade and be a success in future years.

You're right to single out Platty and Haseley too. Given the revolving door policy we've seen over the last 3 and a bit seasons it's difficult to think of many cult heroes. I think the side we won the league with was the last time we had a settled side? That was 2013/14!
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

YeltzDoc
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by YeltzDoc » 29 Dec 2018, 08:44

The “Tipton Trinity” could all have gone on, if they hadn’t gone off.
As an aside, has Tonks been released by them lot? He’s turning out for Walsall Wood currently, but it might be a dual-registration thingy.
Also, is Kristian still turning out for Brother Avery’s faves?
He’s better than that.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 29 Dec 2018, 09:12

I would propose Nick Bussey as worthy of consideration. Certainly a fans favourite for the way that he left and came back when times were tough for the club. Maybe it is indicative of the struggles over the last 10 years that goalkeepers seem to figure so prominently.

@Doc, Kristian Green was certainly playing for Tammuf when they visited a couple of weeks ago.

piearce9
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by piearce9 » 29 Dec 2018, 10:31

Nick Bussey can go in the legends bracket. In one of his first few games for the club he got sent off at The Stourbr*dge Road end for wrestling with an opponent. He then walked round to The Shed and, in an attempt to defend himself, said to the fans there: “I only WENT to hit him”, as if that would explain the situation perfectly well.

At that point it looked as though we’d signed a headcase (spoiler alert: we had) but he went on to be a heroic goalkeeper who loved the club. He’s on twitter and still posts about his time at Halesowen quite a bit. To be fair, we’ve had a succession of great keepers at Halesowen and Platt’s certainly one of those.

(PS- Stats request- I think the Bussey red card mentioned above may have resulted in Darren Caskey donning a tight-fitting goalkeeper shirt, the rest being history. But not sure if that was a different occasion. ??? )

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Dec 2018, 10:48

Yeah, Nick Bussey, good shout. He's in!

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Dec 2018, 10:52

YeltzDoc wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 08:44
The “Tipton Trinity” could all have gone on, if they hadn’t gone off.
As an aside, has Tonks been released by them lot? He’s turning out for Walsall Wood currently, but it might be a dual-registration thingy.
Also, is Kristian still turning out for Brother Avery’s faves?
He’s better than that.
Kristian blotted his copy book by leaving far to early. Had he been unbelievably a hero/genius/nutter in that time he would have had a chance.
Totally blotted it now anyway. Tamuff pffff.

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 29 Dec 2018, 11:24

piearce9 wrote: (PS- Stats request- I think the Bussey red card mentioned above may have resulted in Darren Caskey donning a tight-fitting goalkeeper shirt, the rest being history. But not sure if that was a different occasion. ??? )
I think that the Caskey penalty save was against Evesham, but could be wrong. I tried to find it on YouTube but could not. In any case, 5 minutes that will stick in the memories of all that saw it.

Nick managed 3 red cards before Christmas, the final one being against Swindon Supermarine. Some of us went down the Strourbridge Road end to watch our (now regular) stand-in goalkeeper’s antics at closer range. Being ex-Reading, the Swindon supporters were not going to give Darren and easy ride and he absolutely loved it!

Talking of mad goalkeepers, how about an honourable mention for Kev Sawyer formerly of Gloucester, Cirencester and elsewhere? Wonderfully described by a Gloucester supporter as bring like a Volvo estate; strong, dependendable and surprisingly quick when needed. Great bloke who was always up for a laugh

Noggin
Global Moderator

Post by Noggin » 29 Dec 2018, 11:37

Here is a bit of an outlier: Matt Lewis.

19 goals before Xmas, but could not hit a cows arse with a banjo for the rest of the season. Sums it up that his final two goals were in the match against Clevedon that was abandoned at half time and therefore they didn’t count

Player of the round in the Fa Cup for his 4 goal haul against against Telford which I think remains my favourite Yeltz match ever (not that the vote was manipulated in anyway whatsoever ::) )

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 29 Dec 2018, 12:05

Noggin wrote:
29 Dec 2018, 11:37
Here is a bit of an outlier: Matt Lewis.

19 goals before Xmas, but could not hit a cows arse with a banjo for the rest of the season. Sums it up that his final two goals were in the match against Clevedon that was abandoned at half time and therefore they didn’t count

Player of the round in the Fa Cup for his 4 goal haul against against Telford which I think remains my favourite Yeltz match ever (not that the vote was manipulated in anyway whatsoever ::) )
Wheels has just suggested him as well on the other thread. Did get us a few column inches I guess. Legend? Not sure. If others want him, he's in.