Hill calls for patience as Yeltz look to build

General Discussion about the mighty Yeltz
AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Hill calls for patience as Yeltz look to build

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Aug 2018, 11:37

JOHN Hill insists patience is the key as Halesowen work hard to progress this season.

The Yeltz suffered back-to-back defeats when beaten 2-0 at early pacesetters Kettering last Saturday.

They have now won one and lost two of their opening three fixtures in the newly-formed Southern League Central.

However, the manager at the Grove believes his players have shown some encouraging signs as they continue to find their feet.

He said: "We need to be patient at this stage of the season while the squad still gets to grips with playing with each other.

"As a management team and as players we can do that. There are always fans that expect more but everyone needs to be patient.

"We've struggled in recent seasons and there were big changes at the club over the summer. We'd all love to hit the ground running but Rome wasn't built in a day.

"I have no doubt that we will get there. We just need to improve a few areas and get the balance of the team right."

On the Kettering game, he added: "They were pre-season favourites to win the league and the start of the season hasn't changed that.

"They're a good side with some big players and it was a tough ask for us.

"But we were always in the game and created the first chances, so there were a lot of positives for us to take.

"Lee Hughes should probably have given us the lead and James Roberts could have equalised. Hopefully we can take confidence from that and it gives us a platform to build on."

Halesowen now face another tough weekend as they welcome fourth-placed Biggleswade Town on Saturday (3pm) ahead of Tuesday night's derby clash at third-placed Stourbr*dge (7.45pm).

Hill said: "We will be fully focused on Saturday but once that is out of the way the derby game is one for everyone to look forward to.

"It's a great game for the fans and the area. We have done well there of late but they will be the big favourites to win it this time. Hopefully we can build on our recent performances and go there and give a good account of ourselves again."

Hill has no major injury worries except for the absence of Tom Warmer with a hamstring injury.

http://www.halesowennews.co.uk/sport/16 ... -to-build/
'We need to be patient at this stage of the season while the squad still gets to grips with playing with each other' - Well, starting a consistent line up, injury permitting, would be a good start? I know I'm probably being harsh, but I just don't buy this 'time to gel' excuse. Especially when the core of the squad were here last year!

Warner the only injury, pretty much confirms that Goddard was left out for tactical reasons on Saturday - strange.
Josh - Keyboard warrior! #UpTheYeltz

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Re: Hill calls for patience as Yeltz look to build

Post by andy » 23 Aug 2018, 17:11

I feel that asking for time from the fans may be misplaced. There are others with far more clout that will need convincing.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Aug 2018, 17:55

andy wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 17:11
I feel that asking for time from the fans may be misplaced. There are others with far more clout that will need convincing.
Asking for patience is all well and good if you could actively see change or progression. The fact of the matter is that it's abundantly clear that the same faults and negativity are there. Nothing will change. It doesn't matter if we allow four games forty games or forty weeks. It just will not change. I will continue to believe that until I'm given good reason on the pitch to believe we're trying something different.

Can we also get rid of the myth that this is the first time we've had a good squad of players? That's simply not true, is it?

I don't know if you've picked up on it, but my patience has gone!

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Aug 2018, 18:00

You can also see what's coming, can't you? We'll turn in a poor performance and / or result against Biggleswade but we'll then show up against Stour on Tuesday night, and all will be positive and forgotten.

Then on the 1st against St Neots it'll be very much a case of 'after the Lord Mayor's show'.

We could, of course, win all three convincingly, playing positive football and I'll look like a right idiot (nothing new there). The players we have are more than capable of that, I have absolute faith in that.

I'll leave it up to the reader to decide which of those two scenarios are more likely!

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Aug 2018, 18:01

And now I'm getting soacked walking home, and talking to myself. Bloody hell.

welshyeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by welshyeltz » 23 Aug 2018, 18:26

I have every faith in this group of players . A good blend of youth and experience but not so sure about the balance and tactics , that is down to the management team. I was all for giving them 10 games but haven't seen anything to think we will see improvement/results.
3 games 2 goals from the penalty spot and 3 shots on target doesn't bode well . The enthusiasm among the non league football fans is out there -See 900+gate at Bromsgrove earlier this week - but we need to entertain to encourage more to attend.

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Aug 2018, 18:46

welshyeltz wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 18:26
I have every faith in this group of players . A good blend of youth and experience but not so sure about the balance and tactics , that is down to the management team. I was all for giving them 10 games but haven't seen anything to think we will see improvement/results.
3 games 2 goals from the penalty spot and 3 shots on target doesn't bode well . The enthusiasm among the non league football fans is out there -See 900+gate at Bromsgrove earlier this week - but we need to entertain to encourage more to attend.
Good post!

With regard to Bromsgrove, I'm sure winning 11-0 helps with attendances.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Aug 2018, 19:12

All good posts. As I said though, our opinion counts for little as regards the length of the management's tenure. I'm sure that the 'quality' will not have gone unnoticed by those that may do something about it. Maybe it WILL click and we'll all look like idiots, let's hope so. I just don't see it though.
PS. Mad people talking to themselves in the rain tend to get carted away...... ;D

AwayDayYeltz
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by AwayDayYeltz » 23 Aug 2018, 19:28

andy wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 19:12
All good posts. As I said though, our opinion counts for little as regards the length of the management's tenure. I'm sure that the 'quality' will not have gone unnoticed by those that may do something about it. Maybe it WILL click and we'll all look like idiots, let's hope so. I just don't see it though.
PS. Mad people talking to themselves in the rain tend to get carted away...... ;D
I'm surprised I'm not in a padded cell yet.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I too hope I'm wrong. I'll be there Saturday and Tuesday cheering the players on hoping for a win.

andy
Yeltz Forum Member

Post by andy » 23 Aug 2018, 19:57

AwayDayYeltz wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 18:46
welshyeltz wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 18:26
The enthusiasm among the non league football fans is out there -See 900+gate at Bromsgrove earlier this week - but we need to entertain to encourage more to attend.
Good post!

With regard to Bromsgrove, I'm sure winning 11-0 helps with attendances.
How on earth do they manage to get 900+ on a Tuesday night against nondescript opposition? There really must be a market out there for us to tap into should we start to play football worth watching. 900, it would be just like the old days. Wow.